If they made a new Wing Commander game

They should make it a massively multiplayer online game where you start at the beginning of the war, let players take sides, and let the players determine who wins the war by their actions in a persistent universe.
Somewhat similar to Armada? But with thousands (millions,billions?) online fighting for their chosen race.
...might as well dream big, right?

sounds a lot like ww2 online...never tried that though...would be interesting to see what people that play it have to say since they are sort of similar in idea....

I am very sorry that you had to look at my poorly thought out WC game idea.

Here is something that I thought of after careful consideration:

You play as Blair during his farming days. Run a farm on some backwater world! It is pure genious.

Then you could just play harvest moon and pretend its WC. Not too hard. Only backwater worlds would have towns that small or that craz :p

But Harvest Moon lacks a key element of tension that Blair's farming game could have:
Disgruntled Kilrathi farmers might destroy the Heart of the Tiger's farm as revenge for all their farms being lost on Kilrah.
Farmer Blair cannot let his guard down... The price of freedom (and crops) is eternal vigilance.

But seriously... a WC game exploring more of the Kilrathi war would be sweet.
Or even ANY new WC game for that matter.

If we want it, maybe they will make it...

That's just a hint people over there are EA....A BIG HINT

I'd be pleased as punch if "THEY" released a new WC game. It's been so long, but there's always hope.

I realize this is an overdone thread but I must ask if you played through story as a Kilrathi pilot and you got to WC2 and won for the Kilrathi wouldn't you win the war the only reason the Kilrathi lost the Enigma Campaign was because of the Concordia, and chances are that if you were playing from the Kilrathi side you would have destroyed the Concordia and with it's fall comes the fall of the Enigma Sector. right?

Drizzt Do Urden said:
the only reason the Kilrathi lost the Enigma Campaign was because of the Concordia, and chances are that if you were playing from the Kilrathi side you would have destroyed the Concordia

I actually perfer the idea of playing on the Kilrathi side and losing to the Concordia.

Drizzt Do Urden said:
I realize this is an overdone thread but I must ask if you played through story as a Kilrathi pilot and you got to WC2 and won for the Kilrathi wouldn't you win the war the only reason the Kilrathi lost the Enigma Campaign was because of the Concordia, and chances are that if you were playing from the Kilrathi side you would have destroyed the Concordia and with it's fall comes the fall of the Enigma Sector. right?

The Concordia wasn't the only ship in Enigma, but that's s pretty simplistic view of things overall. Don't forget this:

Emperor: What news of the war, grandson?
Thrakhath: We successfully deceived the Terrans, my Emperor. They diverted their Enigma sector fleet to prevent the destruction of Ghorah Khar. While they were defending that worthless planet, my forces moved quickly into the Deneb sector! We captured Deneb Sector Command in less than six hours. And soon the entire Deneb sector will be under our control!
Emperor: This is much more impressive than your accomplishments at K’Tithrak Mang.
Thrakhath: I did not anticipate that attack on the starbase. But I will not fail you again.
Emperor: It would be very… unfortunate… if you did, cubling.
Emperor: What are your plans now, cubling? Will you try to conquer the Enigma sector?
Thrakhath: No. The Humans will surely attempt to recapture the Deneb Sector Command. When they do, we will be ready and waiting for them.

Thrakhath: The Mandarins were about to outlive their usefulness to us. And while we did not get the Morningstar, we did keep the attentions of the Concordia well occupied. By doing so, we were able to destroy the 6th Battle Fleet, and drive out the Confederation entirely. Even as we speak, the Concordia is receiving its orders to retreat from the sector.
Emperor: Grandson – I am pleased! Now nothing can stop us from conquering Earth itself!

So we pushed the Kilrathi out of Enigma.. and they went and took Deneb instead. If we'd lost Enigma instead, or even if we'd have lost both, you could make a case that Confed's tactic of going for Kilrathi supply lines and shipyards would have still turned things in favor for the Confederation. It was not really until the False Armistice that things were set back for Confed prior to Armada and Wing Commander 3.

So you could definitely build a scenario where the Concordia being lost in 2665 doesn't change the overall balance much over the next few years. Then you could go and say the Concordia's being absent from the Battle of Earth changes the outcome there. There's lots of factors, and it gets a lot more complicated than you describe there.

Originally Posted by El_Destructo

Here is something that I thought of after careful consideration:

You play as Blair during his farming days. Run a farm on some backwater world! It is pure genious.

Just find an old copy of Sim Farm and pretend it's set on another planet.

Seriously though... I wouldn't mind having another game set during the Kilrathi war. Nor would I mind the chance to play on the Kilrathi side. But, all things being equal, I think I'd rather play as Confed.

I'd be glad to see any new Wing Commander game hit the shelves, but I'd most like a new Privateer game. Perhaps one set after the war, or even post WCP. It'd be nice to see how the Gemini Sector has changed over the years.

I think playing as a Ghorah Khar revolutionary would have some appeal. Or perhaps a game centering around Tartarus or Nifelheim.

I'd like to see a WC visual encyclopedia, where you get to do walkthroughs of a cpl cap ships, pull up arcane but Canon WC facts, see in-depth descriptions and graphics of the technologies of the era, etc.
Seems I've seen that idea here before also.

(Then again, since I was the one that posted it some years back, I guess that makes sense...)

I'd just like to play a WC game that glues you into your cockpit, gives you intense (but not insane) fights, makes good use of wingmen, and has a solid story.

No mixing of magical and mystical into SF, no questing for a level-unlocking password, no FPS / RTS / RPG elements, no turn-on-a-dime physics.

Instead: Believable, emotional characters (If I'd be honest, I'd really like to see Mark Hammill in FMV, although he's neither of both), a good story (the game's wolrd is so rich it doesn't matter where it's set), the traditional Origin the-girl's-the-spy plot device, and a fabulous finale that breaks up all the conventions the game had set before (again, it doesn't matter if it's a dogfight or a story conclusion, like Tolwyn's trial).

Thank you, gentlemen.

Back