Hydra Cockpit WIP

Given that the Hydra is the first large, almost corvette class gunship, complete with a crew of gunners, mechanics and a co-pilot, it makes sense to have a "red alert" mode. I agree with bandit that this is non-conventional, we haven't seen this before in flyable WC ships, but we haven't flown such large ships before (unless you're considering a Galaxy perhaps, but it wasn't a combat vessel, the Hydra is) And in terms of seeing a red alert in the WC Universe, I think I remember seeing red alert lights when scrambling to launch fighters in WC I, so I think the switch to red lights when enemies approach is an excellent idea, and appropriate for the era.

PS. How do I get my account approved? I registered? but have recieved no activation email.

Unregistered said:
Given that the Hydra is the first large, almost corvette class gunship, complete with a crew of gunners, mechanics and a co-pilot, it makes sense to have a "red alert" mode. I agree with bandit that this is non-conventional, we haven't seen this before in flyable WC ships, but we haven't flown such large ships before (unless you're considering a Galaxy perhaps, but it wasn't a combat vessel, the Hydra is) And in terms of seeing a red alert in the WC Universe, I think I remember seeing red alert lights when scrambling to launch fighters in WC I, so I think the switch to red lights when enemies approach is an excellent idea, and appropriate for the era.

PS. How do I get my account approved? I registered? but have recieved no activation email.
Actually it's not bandit it's LOAF.

Given that the Hydra is the first large, almost corvette class gunship, complete with a crew of gunners, mechanics and a co-pilot, it makes sense to have a "red alert" mode. I agree with bandit that this is non-conventional, we haven't seen this before in flyable WC ships, but we haven't flown such large ships before (unless you're considering a Galaxy perhaps, but it wasn't a combat vessel, the Hydra is)

That's reasonable -- although the Orion was also a multi-person gunship, IIRC.

And in terms of seeing a red alert in the WC Universe, I think I remember seeing red alert lights when scrambling to launch fighters in WC I, so I think the switch to red lights when enemies approach is an excellent idea, and appropriate for the era.

Red lights on the flight deck mean low gravity conditions on a carrier -- we found a couple novel references for that when AD was doing his Victory Half Life map.

It shouldn't need to be... tell me the account name and I'll unstick it manually. I'm not sure why this happens sometimes.

Actually it's not bandit it's LOAF.

Heh, either way is fine -- Bandit is my callsign. (Everybody does tend to call me LOAF here and in-real-life, though...)

Unregistered said:
Given that the Hydra is the first large, almost corvette class gunship, complete with a crew of gunners, mechanics and a co-pilot, it makes sense to have a "red alert" mode. I agree with bandit that this is non-conventional, we haven't seen this before in flyable WC ships, but we haven't flown such large ships before (unless you're considering a Galaxy perhaps, but it wasn't a combat vessel, the Hydra is)

The Broadsword was also a very large craft with a gunnery crew and options for navigators/copilots/etc.

Unregistered said:

Did you check your spam folder? People can always get the fastest response by emailing the administrative contact link at chatzone@wcnews.com

ChrisReid said:
Did you check your spam folder? People can always get the fastest response by emailing the administrative contact link at chatzone@wcnews.com

I had similar problem with logging in as Plasteel Skull. It said I've been using wrong password in spite of the fact, that I was quite sure about its corectness... I have registered myself again as Plasteel. Problem's solved.

Plasteel said:
I had similar problem with logging in as Plasteel Skull. It said I've been using wrong password in spite of the fact, that I was quite sure about its corectness... I have registered myself again as Plasteel. Problem's solved.

The problem is that the rules specifically state that you need to contact the admins, not register a new account.

Plasteel said:

You must have been wrong about the password. Did you try to have the forums email it to you? As t.c.cgi pointed out, multiple accounts are not allowed.

I had the same problem. All I did was sent an e-mail and they activated my account. I never did get the confermation e-mail, not even in my bulk mail (which I get about 200 e-mails in that file per day).

Thanks ;) Well, I kind of watched this thread all this time, but since I was busy as hell with mundane, non-wc stuff :) and had those trouble with account so I didn't post. But yeah, once again I'd like to help at least with some ideas, just waiting for the right moment.

As for hydra cockpit - it's really cool and I like it a lot.

Okay - She's just about done. The only things remaining are to clean up the displays so that they can be used in the game, and to fix the minor issues with the seats geometry. Other than those two small issues, It's done.
http://www.hedfiles.net/wcpioneer/HydraCockpit07.mov
I can't tell you what a relief this is. This thing had been hovering ominously over my head for well over a month and a half. Easily the most challenging one to complete. I'm very happy with the results, though!

Enjoy, and comments are welcome!

Attachments

• HydraCockpit07.jpg
    HydraCockpit07.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 432
  • HydraCockpit08.jpg
    HydraCockpit08.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 427
The skills of Howard Day's digital hands are so amazingly improbable, they're said to have been sprinkled with god-dust.

So... excactly *how* destroyable will these cockpits be, compared to those in the early Wing Commander games?

well... Screens can be blown out, cracks can be formed in the windshield.... that sort of thing. It's mostly just easy texture changes...there's nothing too complex.

So there will be no tubes, wiring, and panels hanging out after a bad hit like in WC1 and 2? I can live with that... what about fires and/or smoke? I know this wasn't in the original games but it would be cool.

Also, will there be any props to personalize the cockpits? Wallpapers, ash trays, fuzzy dices, cup holders... that sort of stuff?

The cockpit looks amazing by the way. IMO it's the best one so far.:)

Howard Day said:
well... Screens can be blown out, cracks can be formed in the windshield.... that sort of thing. It's mostly just easy texture changes...there's nothing too complex.
Will there be exterior damage too? (so you can laugh like a maniac at how crappy your enemy's fighter looks:D )

Back