Editing Wing Commander III & IV

apparently not! seems it was too big - so here's a "txt" which is actually a rar (rename) which contains a zip (and since I know Chris Reid has complained about this in times of yore, it made it smaller than either compression alone!)

Attachments

• wc3e1.txt
    89.8 KB · Views: 127
Thanks Madman, I like the duel compressing! I've used this editor before I'm sure, but it comes with no instructions - this might sound like a dense question, but which mission in the game exactly does the program edit? If that makes sense...

I'm not sure, I never really used it, but I think it may have been mission 1 - HCL is obviously the guy to ask!

Thanks Madman, I like the duel compressing!

I'm mostly just giving you a hard time here, but I'm also geniunely curious what the appeal is (of this and non-zip compression formats to begin with). :p You ran two passes so that it crunched the file down from 160k to 80 k? You've saved a tiny fraction of a second of download time, but (even assuming I had a rar unzipper on this machine, which I don't, since I just flattened and installed Win 7) you've added half a minute by needing two programs to decompress. I haven't worried about compression ratios since I used floppy disks and a dialup modem. I appreciate that you're digging up obscure Wing Commander files for everyone, but the double-pass seems like a net time loss for everyone. :)

I'm mostly just giving you a hard time here, but I'm also geniunely curious what the appeal is (of this and non-zip compression formats to begin with). :p You ran two passes so that it crunched the file down from 160k to 80 k? You've saved a tiny fraction of a second of download time, but (even assuming I had a rar unzipper on this machine, which I don't, since I just flattened and installed Win 7) you've added half a minute by needing two programs to decompress. I haven't worried about compression ratios since I used floppy disks and a dialup modem. I appreciate that you're digging up obscure Wing Commander files for everyone, but the double-pass seems like a net time loss for everyone. :)

Hehe, I know Chris, As Wedge says it was just to get the file below 100kb so i could upload it as a txt, although I since realised that that 100kb limit only applies to txt files :) This is the first time I've ever found dual compression to be better, but it is definitely a 1990's technique ;)

Back