Don't be this guy

Whatever...anyway, maybe this guy actually does have what it takes. Like Babe Ruth allegedly said, "It ain't bragging if you can do it." Either way, there's no way to find out until he shows up and either washs out or cuts the gyp. You can complain about him just like anybody else (from your next door neighbour to Ted Kennedy) but you can't conclusively determine anything about his resolve or ability until the real test comes.

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm out of line for updating this, but this warranted an update.

The guy failed the screening test three times, and because he failed to meet the minimal physical fitness standards, he lost his orders. Didn't even make it out here.

He is now chipping paint as an undesignated deck seaman.

I think Instructor Is*** says it best, "You can never tell who is going to make it. But you can definately see who will not."

I had the feeling he would(We all know what happen when you get overconfident;))... How did he take it?

Personally, I don't know how he took it. As I said, he never reported over here so we never got to see him in the flesh.

However, I do know that a few of my buddies emailed him, giving him shit for being cocky and full of hot air when he couldn't even pass the fitness test, calling him a turd, etc etc. The guy went into a state of denial, as one can see in his newly updated blog.

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm out of line for updating this, but this warranted an update.

No problem at all.

For those unaware, the 'good faith' restrictions against replying to old threads have been lifted -- if you have something interesting to say about a four year old topic, you're welcome to do so. As always, use moderation... if you go back and post your favorite fighter to six different "whats your favorite fighter?" threads, we're going to wang you. Use common sense, but you're all welcome to bring back old threads.

psych said:
However, I do know that a few of my buddies emailed him, giving him shit for being cocky and full of hot air when he couldn't even pass the fitness test, calling him a turd, etc etc.
Funny, that's exactly the kind of behaviour I would have expected... from a guy like him :p. Are you and your buddies really sure this is the guy whose example you want to follow?

(don't get me wrong - I do see the humour of the situation, and I can imagine how tempting it must have been to email him and laugh about his stupidity... but I can't help thinking that people training to be professional soldiers should be above that kind of petty behaviour. He came, he failed - that in itself is sufficient punishment for his stupid arrogance. You're better than him, though - and the best way to prove it is to simply let the matter slide. Like the thread title says - don't be this guy)

Quarto said:
Funny, that's exactly the kind of behaviour I would have expected... from a guy like him :p. Are you and your buddies really sure this is the guy whose example you want to follow?

(don't get me wrong - I do see the humour of the situation, and I can imagine how tempting it must have been to email him and laugh about his stupidity... but I can't help thinking that people training to be professional soldiers should be above that kind of petty behaviour. He came, he failed - that in itself is sufficient punishment for his stupid arrogance. You're better than him, though - and the best way to prove it is to simply let the matter slide. Like the thread title says - don't be this guy)

I'm with Quarto on this one. It's tempting to rub it in but it's best to let it slide.

When you sign up for a specific rating, it's with the contractual obligation to meet all of the requirements for that rating. If you screw the pooch or otherwise fall short of the requirements (like for example failing schooling for technical rates, or failing to meet the physical requirements for SEAL duty above and beyond basic USN fitness requirements), you get tossed to the bottom of the barrel, or as in the case of the gentleman in question an unrated seaman who's enjoying the paradise that is Deck Division (paint chippers, floor washers, etc).

powell99 said:
Damn how can you lose your orders?

Well, when they call out your number, if you're just daydreaming, some enterprising fellow can just come by and scoop your bag off the counter and be out the door in a flash.

Quarto said:

Hey, I wasn't the one who emailed him. The other guys told me that they actually emailed the dude when they first saw his page and tried to be nice, telling him to be a bit more humble, and he's already drawing attention to himself. The dude replied back, "Too bad, but fuck you guys! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!"

For guys like that . . . no sympathy. So I can understand why a few of my buds did the stuff they did, hell, at least they passed their screening tests

PS. It wouldn't be appropriate to say "He came . . ." cause he never came :)

psych said:
Hey, I wasn't the one who emailed him. The other guys told me that they actually emailed the dude when they first saw his page and tried to be nice, telling him to be a bit more humble, and he's already drawing attention to himself. The dude replied back, "Too bad, but fuck you guys! BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!"

For guys like that . . . no sympathy. So I can understand why a few of my buds did the stuff they did, hell, at least they passed their screening tests

PS. It wouldn't be appropriate to say "He came . . ." cause he never came :)

Would it even be appropriate to say 'he saw'? Or is it more 'He imagined he came, thought he saw... and then woke up as someone yelled at him to stop daydreaming'? :D

I just only read the site pysch refer to, man the guy is an absolute moron. I swear the guy can be such a wannabe.
Me thinks that he is all talk no action

Dahan said:
yeah I really pity some of the americans, sometimes I just really wonder about them
I'm sure they pity you too.

(in other words, keep the damned "OMG teh Americanz R soe bad!" posts out of my forum!)

I had a NATO assignment and served just outside of Oslo Norway
few a couple of years . The non-american's used "spam" to describe us.
Spastic Americans , saying how we would fly off the handle at any cause .
I got accustomed to it and disscused it with the few I could find with an
open mind. The Jerk that this thread is about is a prime example of why
my fellow citizens and I have to endure such .
They come from all countries an are the poster of thier home to all others .
I would like to say that I look forward to the day that we all stop steriotyping
an entire nation just because of the jerks who get talked about , but I doubt
that day will ever come .

Cargoman said:
I had a NATO assignment and served just outside of Oslo Norway
few a couple of years . The non-american's used "spam" to describe us.
Spastic Americans , saying how we would fly off the handle at any cause .

Hey, nevermind those people... most Norwegians are assholes, anyway.:)

I was actually refering to the other NATO personel .
I tried to avoid the Norge conscripts , allow three beers per
meal and given loaded submachineguns . ( scarey )

P.S. The Norewegians , well they protest the U.S.'s neclear navy
on the same pers thier " scientific " whaling fleet docked .

Back