Distance between NAV points

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes, it was planned...

... and it's function was the same as the mission recorder in Wing 2. :)

Mission Recorder in WC2? What was that? The thing that always went down when encountering Stealth Bombers?

Wing Commander 2 had a feature where you could play back the previous mission as a movie type thing...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Wing Commander 2 had a feature where you could play back the previous mission as a movie type thing...
Cool I never noticed that. Maybe I should try the best WC game once again... Just tell me, how could I start it?

Pity it erases itself after a cutscene. I hated it when my wingman was shot down, I'd bomb a capship then want to see the replay, but then the distress signal detection lady would pop up. :(

Well then hit "R" while the capship is exploding, Wedge... :)
(which usually takes a good 5-10 seconds...)

I wanted to see the whole thing go boom and disintegrate completely. Besides, the distress signal cutscene pops up very quickly, certainly less than five seconds.

Well normallly not until the capship has fully blown up... which gives you some time...

BTW, why would you want to review the capship torpedo run?
It's pretty straightforward: fly away, full stop, lock the torpedo, full throttle (afterburn if you're in a Sabre), try to dodge some AM guns (if case applies) w/o losing the lock, wait to be 2000 klicks away, drop the load... and do this a second time... :)

No, it really does pop up very quickly. And that was in the days when I liked to see myself trash fighter after fighter, then take out the capship - also good for watching a Gilgamesh and a Ralatha blasting each other. :)

Eh eh... I remember once seing that Phase Transit Cannon fired by the Concordia... WOW!! That was spectacular... bye bye Fralthra... :)

Still, I have the feeling they ripped us off with the capship weapon bolts, graphically speaking:

*The flak gun bolts are just bigger lasers
*The Anti-matter guns are magnified Neutron bolts
*The Phase Transit Cannon is just a big particle cannon bolt...

A bit easy for programming, huh? ;)

[Edited by mpanty on 04-04-2001 at 00:05]

Ripped off? Please remember that this is 1991, when games were distributed on diskettes and space was short. :)

Actually, the flak effects scared me the most. All that red flashing and the red blobs on the screen indicating hits...

The flak really made capship strikes seem dangerous. You knew that you'd have fire a torpedo and retreat, because your shields were constantly being worn down. Aye, those were the days.

What about having a Heavy Cruiser or a Light Destroyer lob a solid sheet of fire at you in WC3? That was always a bit intimidating... almost as much as the WC2 AMG bolts.

I dont see why flak was that big of a problem. Either your shields could take it or your burners were good enough you didnt have to worry.

You know, the only concentrated fire problem i had in WC3 came from Corvettes. Crazy, huh? Bigger ships all had safe points, usually right behind the engine, except the carrier which was of course, in its hanger deck. THough for some reason you still have to take the shields down from the inside.

Corvettes were usually only a problem in an Arrow or Hellcat. The Excals' speed, firepower and slide ability makes it easy to knock out the corvettes' turrets. As for the Thunderbolt, just release the torp, and bye bye kitty. :)

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Quarto
The flak really made capship strikes seem dangerous. You knew that you'd have fire a torpedo and retreat, because your shields were constantly being worn down. Aye, those were the days.

Amen. Some of the most memorable "brown trousers" moments I had playing WC2 came when a capship released an AMG blast at me at almost point blank range. :)

Best, Raptor

That wasnt a problem if you only ran into one corvette, but if there were more... And you really dont get the Excalibur enough to have prevented it from scarring me forever, though it did make it easy to kill them.

I never found the Excalibur particularly helpful when it came to corvettes. They were always a pain, no matter what. Fortunately, you didn't need to save your torps for bigger capships, so a Longbow meant instant death for corvettes. Though I still get nightmares about that post-Behemoth take-out-five-hundred-corvettes-in-an-Arrow mission...

The most impressive capship flak cannon in WC1 was the Dorkir/Lumbari! That turbo laser at the front did more damage than any other KillieKap Ship ever did!

Back