Church of Man

Well... did you miss the last series of Secret Ops, where we discover that they've opened a gate in Proxima which they're trying to make permanent (G)?

Its a part of the main Bug fleet that was cut off by Border world forces, one of pilots explain it in one of the missions.

Ok I remember now. Zero explained it correct? Or was that Spyder? Proxima sounds familiar so that must be it! Its easy to miss small conversations during a game when your wife keeps tapping on your shoulder saying "GET OFF YOUR @$$ AND MOW THAT YARD" :)

RFBurns

[Edited by RFBurns on 03-15-2001 at 15:43]

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Well... did you miss the last series of Secret Ops, where we discover that they've opened a gate in Proxima which they're trying to make permanent (G)?

Of course not, you crazy LOAF you!:)(I got SO with PG, so it's not like I could have missed any of the episodes anyway <G> ) But it's possible that the wormhole in Proxima wasn't the one they came through...

[Edited by Earthworm on 03-15-2001 at 15:47]

Err, it's more than a small conversation -- the last mission of SO is capturing the new wormhole.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Err, it's more than a small conversation -- the last mission of SO is capturing the new wormhole.

Ermm... in the last fan fiction that went with SO (been
a while) -- didn't they mention that there was *other* N. activity out in the badlands that didn't seem to be
military in nature?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Sort of -- there's a discussion between some scientists about how energy signatures (which we later discover to be indicative of a wormhole) have been detected at K'sk'taq, Hhallas, Valgard and Proxima.

Regarding the thoughts that WCP/SO don't feel threatening enough, it's really the same with the other WCs. As the player, we win nearly every mission after mission, yet during cutscenes and conversations, we hear that the war isn't going so badly elsewhere. Of course, there are times when no matter how well you fly, you still don't win, eg the Concordia being bashed around Enigma and Deneb sectors.

As for the Nephilim, it's clear that the force in WCP was from the Kilrah wormhole, and Casey et al shut it down. The speech about the BW finding the bugs in Valgard - "Where's Valgard? And who cares? I wanna know how the got here!" - I think was just to help enforce the idea in the player that Confed thinks the bugs were just leftovers.

Later, we find that the bug infestation in Sol is clearly from Proxima, and in the fiction, we hear about indications of more wormholes. Which leaves an interesting question: what is Confed going to do about the captured Proxima wormhole? A while back I suggested that we could use it for an invasion for the next game (understandably, some people are sick of flying defensive) but we then established that any such force would either get hammered, or have to be huge... and get hammered anyway.

Looks like they'll just take Maestro's advice and "mine it. Maybe even lob a few nukes at them"...

In the SO endgame where you destroy the wormhole, we're told that the loss of the accretion device means that Confed won't be able to restore Proxima's suns to normal... that's apparently the primary reason why we captured it.

(That said, one of the possible sequels (the only one announced, even) to SO was a game called 'Strike Team', in which you lead a force through the wormhole (with multiplayer!)).

Yeah, it got cancelled quite a while ago.

(I was actually at Origin when it got cancelled... in favor of an online MMP WC).

The first time was Boomer's fault. He gave me a cup that was too big for the coffee machine.

(And I don't even drink coffee... they really force it on you there, though. I just took it because I was tired of people asking me if I wanted coffee.)

Ha ha ha! So you were holding a cup of coffee just so people would stop asking you, and then you spill it anyway! :)

Where the hell is Boomer now anyways? Still with EA? I think I've asked this question before.

TC

My ploy didn't work, too -- even though I had coffee, Andy Hollis *still* tried to give me some more.

Boomer was let go years ago, I believe.

Back