Bradshaw's Callsign

Ilanin

Captain
So, I was just wondering, whilst re-playing Standoff because it rocks just that much...does Bradshaw have a "canon" callsign, like Blair's "Maverick" (only less derivative) ?

I think that what LOAF is trying to say is: Standoff isn't part of the WC canon, hence Bradshaw can't have a canon callsign :p And until someone writes a Standoff novel (which will *never* happend, actually), I don't think there will be any point to Bradshaw having a callsign else than the player's choice :)

And until someone writes a Standoff novel (which will *never* happend, actually),

Why not. I'd love to take a shot at writing something about TCS Defince, only thing really stopping me is my poor Engliszh (I seriously doubt a WC fanfiction in Polish would find much readers)

Always....always....watch the canopy!

I wonder if that movie made any F-14 pilots think twice about ejecting...

Trust me no way in hell could it happen its just plain stupid however dosent stop it from being one of the best movies ever I swear we watched it every week when i first joined the RAF in training!:D

Goose died because he was a dumbass

A flat spin is a special circumstance which can, in some cases, increase the risk of impacting the canopy. In a flat spin in the Tomcat, the pilot does, as Maverick is depicted, end up pinned forward. As a result, it is up to the RIO to ensure the canopy is safely out of the aircraft's airflow to ensure survival before initiating the final ejection procedure. From what I understand, this specific danger is addressed in the 'F-14 Out-Of-Control flight procedures,' in which the second to last step is 'canopy - jettison.' This involves the separate action of pulling the handle that jettisons the canopy, independent of any ejection. In other words, only then, after the canopy has had time to separate, do you initiate the ejection sequence.

The special edition features of the Top Gun DVD make mention of this as well. The pilot consultant, who was himself a Top Gun instructor (IIRC), created this sequence based on actual aircraft incident reports.

Thinking logically about it, it does seem reasonable to assume that the canopy could get held in an area of low pressure above the aircraft that is essentially falling straight down.

Now, where things get dicey is the fact that technically speaking, the ejection seats should offer some support in the way of absorbing at least a portion of the energy from the hit were the operator to actually launch himself through the canopy.

Of course, my information could be completely out of date, and this data probably varies wildly depending on the type of aircraft. Nevertheless, it would appear that Goose probably should have stuck to singing "Great Balls of Fire."

You know, most military casualties, both combat and non-combat, could be attributed to stupidity - if you're stupid enough to overlook the circumstances :). I'm sure anyone, being for the first time in his life in a flatspin, could, in the heat of the moment, forget some detail of the precedures involved.

A flat spin is a special circumstance which can, in some cases, increase the risk of impacting the canopy. In a flat spin in the Tomcat, the pilot does, as Maverick is depicted, end up pinned forward. As a result, it is up to the RIO to ensure the canopy is safely out of the aircraft's airflow to ensure survival before initiating the final ejection procedure. From what I understand, this specific danger is addressed in the 'F-14 Out-Of-Control flight procedures,' in which the second to last step is 'canopy - jettison.' This involves the separate action of pulling the handle that jettisons the canopy, independent of any ejection. In other words, only then, after the canopy has had time to separate, do you initiate the ejection sequence.

The special edition features of the Top Gun DVD make mention of this as well. The pilot consultant, who was himself a Top Gun instructor (IIRC), created this sequence based on actual aircraft incident reports.

Thinking logically about it, it does seem reasonable to assume that the canopy could get held in an area of low pressure above the aircraft that is essentially falling straight down.

Now, where things get dicey is the fact that technically speaking, the ejection seats should offer some support in the way of absorbing at least a portion of the energy from the hit were the operator to actually launch himself through the canopy.

Of course, my information could be completely out of date, and this data probably varies wildly depending on the type of aircraft. Nevertheless, it would appear that Goose probably should have stuck to singing "Great Balls of Fire."

I just remember my best friend recounting the time when he was in the squadron ready room onboard the Kennedy (he was part of VF-31, IIRC) when the movie was playing on the closet-circuit and the pilots were literally laughing sardonically saying how that could never happen, how they'd just punch out through the canopy itself (being designed to be breakable if such an event were necessary) and such.

Dunno about the mishap reports poured over to create the sequence, but the crews at that time weren't too worried about losing their lives to such a circumstance.

...not that it matters now, seeing as how F-14s are now completely retired from Naval service.

I just remember my best friend recounting the time when he was in the squadron ready room onboard the Kennedy (he was part of VF-31, IIRC) when the movie was playing on the closet-circuit and the pilots were literally laughing sardonically saying how that could never happen, how they'd just punch out through the canopy itself (being designed to be breakable if such an event were necessary) and such.
Hmmmmm. Well, if there was an issue, maybe their attitude explains why Goose didn't worry too much about it either :p.

punch out through the canopy itself (being designed to be breakable if such an event were necessary) and such.

I think this is correct and, really, the big flaw in the scene.

...not that it matters now, seeing as how F-14s are now completely retired from Naval service.

Please don't remind me. It makes me feel...old. When the Tomcat was retired, I felt like I was losing a hero or something. It wasn't a great day.

I felt similar when the AiM-54 was pulled from service many years before, also. I just thought there were few more lethal combinations than a flight of Tomcats with those claws fully extended!

Back