[2020-02] Some novel character portraits

Ulanna

Ulanna.jpg

Master: "Every year on the Tuhaga Festival, mother would dress up in her youthful finery, take my sister and me, and sit at the top of a nearby hill, looking out into the distance from time to time."

Last edited:

...bedroom mother? (ulan = bedroom / quarters / dormitory + nah = mother). I mean, it works, but I don't know who in what caste would want to give that kind of name to one of their daughters...

Master: "Every year on the Tuhaga Festival, mother would dress up in her youthful finery, take my sister and me, and sit at the top of a nearby hill, looking out into the distance from time to time."

Kesthaga du d'aiyk'toth Tuhaga, ni'nah'h'askharg du gar'hargkir, dya ni'ni'lavinmaksnai, maks vork du thagama'inthrak'thrak, diyai balanss duma'ga.

Tuhaga,
incidentally, roughly translates to "must fight a lot" (tu = fight / clash / skirmish / combat / encounter / trial / match (fight) + ha = must / need / should + ga = all / every / each / much / quite / very / many / large / such (very) / major). Sounds like something the Cats would do. Might be something akin to the gladitorial games of the Romans...hell, it might be exactly the same sort of thing...

It's a good picture; looking forward to seeing it in color. Don't make her pink.

...bedroom mother? (ulan = bedroom / quarters / dormitory + nah = mother). I mean, it works, but I don't know who in what caste would want to give that kind of name to one of their daughters...
Eh? I just quoted a tree name from Action Stations.

According to my conception, Ulanna is Master's adoptive mother, so the meaning of the name, in addition to the name of a tree, perhaps just allude to this setting?

Tuhaga, incidentally, roughly translates to "must fight a lot"
Also a term from Action Stations, probably used to compare Confederation Day.

If you remember the perhaps somewhat soap-opera style background setting I envisioned, you may understand the hidden meaning of this line. Ulanna and her husband most likely met for the first time at a Tuhaga festival.

Last edited:
Qhargha nar Shikag

QharghaDraft.jpg

"So what's next, Vakka? Lease a fiefdom in human territory for your youngest son? Let him marry and have children there in the future with his First chosen one?"

Note: this is still a draft portrait, the face is what I am initially satisfied with, but the body and armor is still in the stage of elementary draft. I will improve it later.

He is Baron Shikag after 2669, according to Star*Soldier:

Qhargha is the Baron of the Sihkag clan which is currently engaged in one of the bloodiest fueds of the ongoing civil war over the vast territories of the old Empire. He has led his formerly subservient clan to prominence in a battle which observers expected to be dominated by the Ki’ra and the Kiranka. Beyond his capacity for politics, Qhargha is a warrior in the finest Kilrathi tradition: he is an expert fighter pilot who has scored more victories in recent years than most top aces did fighting the humans.

Well, based on the story, I intended to portray this character as a Baron who is culturally conservative in attitude, but level-headed.

P.S. His face is more or less a reference to the lion in the East Asian culture.

Last edited:
"So what's next, Vakka? Lease a fiefdom in human territory for your youngest son? Let him marry and have children there in the future with his First chosen one?"

Konis, ja'lhu'ha jhak, Vakka? Ri'a bha'indaithrak du lanargkTerran'hra ta ri'kirthrakni'linga? Gathgar jaqvrash uniga maks jaqgagagari lanma dujha ra gar'kir'kha'vrash ar?

(Structure of this one's a bit tricky. Also was missing a few words - went with these:
daithrak = "great hall" as opposed to "feifdom"
jaqvrash uniga = jaq + vrash uniga = "become married"
kir'kha'vrash ar = "first betrothed"

Literal translation - 'So (motive), what is next, Vakka? Do you rent a great hall in Terran territory for your youngest son? Allow him become married and grow children there in future with his first betrothed?'

Harghah nar Qarg

Harghah.jpg

"Is there anything wrong with this? Don't forget, now we can even build cruisers together with the apes. Or... maybe some of us are just a little jealous?"

NOTE: This is a draft portrait.

Harghah is Baron Qarg from Star*Soldier. For lack of more specific background, I have added some myself:

Baron Harghah often appears as a debaucher, such as drinking at meetings. However, he is actually quite sensible and is clearly interest-oriented in clan affairs.

As to the "building cruisers together with apes" issue, it is derived from this:

Two primary battlecruiser designs served with the allied navies: the Terran Confederation’s Indomitable-class and the Kilrathi Assembly of Clans’ Kiranka-class. Both ships are visually similar, owing to the technology-sharing agreement established by the alliance treaty — though the natural ‘battering ram’ purpose of the ships makes their similarities less jarring than the so-called ‘Kilrathi Midway’. The indomitable brings additional plasma guns to the fight while the Kiranka expends additional armor to include an elaborate system of vacuum tight hull compartments.

from Star*Soldier, P21

Last edited:
"Is there anything wrong with this? Don't forget, now we can even build cruisers together with the apes. Or... maybe some of us are just a little jealous?"

Hu'hiv g'hu rasma? Avdalpaduv mas ek'h'ingadafrali eshma maks rasukarhi takhlan. Qu, mangek'harashutakavin k'gris?

(There-(is not)-false anything with-this? (Do not)-forget that we-(can-emphatic)-make-cruisers now with-apes together. Or, (some-we)-are-(jealous-dimuinuative) perhaps?)

G'trakh nar Ragitagha

G'trakh.jpg

"Jealous? Don't talk nonsense, Harghah! We're not like you! Your hrai even give the clans' honor items to apes for money!"

A draft portrait of Baron Ragitagha from Star*Soldier.

Last edited:
Grap nar Kur'u'tak

GrapSketch.jpg

"Please calm down, Baron G'trakh and Baron Harghah. I suggest we go back to the topic first."

A portrait of Baron Kur'u'tak from Star*Soldier.

Attachments

• Grap.jpg
    Grap.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
B'shras nar Caxki

B’shras.jpg

"... Boring..."

B'shras nar Caxki is the Baron of Caxki from Star*Soldier. For lack of more specific background, I have added some myself:

Because of their early out in the Civil War, nar Caxki Clan's status is now very low. Baron B'shras always feels boring in the meetings now.

Last edited:
Uza ko Kal Lededa'iki'a nar Ki'ra

Uza.jpg

"I'm honored to be here to give you a little synopsis on the book Ikgara Kutgaga."

Last edited:
"I'm honored to be here to give you a little synopsis on the book Ikgara Kutgaga."
Ni'ha ahkiga halanma lek'kor duraiga d'aiyeshin erggar, kochirth rahus 'Ikgara Kutgaga'.

The exact translation: "I am very happy to be here to tell to all of you a summary about it, the book with the name 'Sacred History (of the) People'".

Whether the subject would be "honored" or not depends on who the audience is and the speaker's personality. At least in my opinion.
The subject matter at hand would probably be dealt with some degree of reverence on behalf of the speaker, though that would also probably depend heavily on their personality.

Whether the subject would be "honored" or not depends on who the audience is and the speaker's personality.
I designed the line with the idea that Uza has the honor because he is going to tell the sacred history of the clans. Is this reasonable? Thanks!

Captain nar Raktha

Raktha_OK.jpg

"Well... It still takes a lot of work to get our people to understand what elections are all about, especially when they see candidates arguing face-to-face for half a day without shaking their fists in the live holovid from Earth."

Captain nar Raktha has Confederation citizenship. Do you remember this character? Hint: Sh’ar N’Tanya from N'Tanya.

RakthaColor_OK.jpg

Last edited:
Bonus Portrait:

Chancellor Melek

View attachment 11493

“Hmm, it's a decision I do not regret. ”

This is Melek after 2670s. I think, as of 2634, Melek is not yet born or very young.

Edit: 0429 Melek version 2.0!
This is an absolutely stately looking Melek! It's kind of funny that I always think of Melek as groveling. Melek here looks like he could pull together a fragmented feudal empire, kind of like King Richard in the animated Disney Robin Hood.

Back