The Bloodfang

Is there anything about his exploits as a pilot in the novels, forgive me, I've never had the chance to read them. LOAF, are you out there? :)

He flies briefly in FA under the pretense of leading the next strike against the remaining confed carriers but instead is merely escaping his own ships destruction.

I don't believe we've ever personally see Thrakhath shoot anyone down - but people in this thread are correct that the conceit is that he is one of Kilrah's top aces. Remember that Col. Halcyon introduces him in Secret Missions 2 as being "possibly their best fighter pilot".

Most of his time in the cockpit would have been when he was much younger, in the late 2630s and early 2640s.

Nope, you fight him in WC2 (and WC3) -- the purpose of SM2 was to introduce a lot of the characters who would appear in WC2 without actually showing them (they talk about Thrakhath, Tolwyn, Hobbes, etc.).

Nobody believes me about how I kill Thrakhath in the last WC3 mission. Honestly, I just stay cloaked at that last nav point where Thrakhath is and keep ramming his ship till he blows up. Cause if I uncloak to fight him he takes off and then I fight this endless stream of Sorthaks. Doesn't anyone else do it that way?

Shipgate said:
...I just stay cloaked at that last nav point where Thrakhath is and keep ramming his ship till he blows up... Doesn't anyone else do it that way?
Nope, not me. the WC3 bloodfang is a hell of a fighter- fast, manuverable, powerfull. But they have yet to produce a fighter that can withstand a full gun and missile barrage from the rear at point blank range as soon as I decloacked. The furball never had time to blink before he was space dust.

If I didn't do it that way, I found out just how skilled a pilot Prince Thrakhath really was. He played havoc on my front armor in head on passes and alway whent on the evasive when he didn't have me in his crosshair.

He he, sorry TIRex, you posted faster than me ;)

Shipgate said:
Nobody believes me about how I kill Thrakhath in the last WC3 mission. Honestly, I just stay cloaked at that last nav point where Thrakhath is and keep ramming his ship till he blows up. Cause if I uncloak to fight him he takes off and then I fight this endless stream of Sorthaks.

The infinite Sorthaks are only if you're not cloaked when you enter the nav point. Decloaking when you arrive will only give you a few Paktahn and Darket.

"He played havoc on my front armor in head on passes and alway whent on the evasive when he didn't have me in his crosshair."

I think i remembered this exact same flight pattern from WC2. keep outmanouvering him and fire every shot you possibly could get on him, do not take too much distance unless you welcome a hammering of gunfire and missiles.

Yeah, I might try dodfighting him again, but this time I'll have to go back in the story-line and kill off Hobbes right after he defects. 'Cause flying against a Bloodfang is sport to say the least... but going up against a Bloodfang AND a traitor in a Thunderbolt is something only Maniac would think of doing... before chickening out of course.

I failed to see the reason why hobbes was still flying a thunderbolt and not a vaktoth in that encounter....

Also you have sufficient loadout to take both of them on, just finish off hobbes quickly with missiles so your excalibur is still in good condition for dogfighting the bloodfang.

Mace said:
I failed to see the reason why hobbes was still flying a thunderbolt and not a vaktoth in that encounter....

Well, pilots have to certify on each craft. I have enough trouble adjusting to how my mom's car feels on the road. The Thunderbolt would've been what he knew best among the fighters available.

Besides, a Thud's a bigger threat than a Vaktoth, anyway. :)

The Thud's mass driver in the turret can put out a fair bit of hurt if you're not careful, and it has a more powerful forward gun loadout than the V as well, not to mention better protection (IIRC).

Yeah, that disappointed me too.

I haven't played through all of SM1&2, but I do know that some interesting things do happen. I think it would have been nifty if they didn't completely forget about what happened in those missions while they were making WC3.

Back