Strike Commander

The WC-style story is what drives SC for most of us, I think.

And I have WC1 (+SM1/2), WC2 (+SO1/2), Privateer (+RF) and Armada all on one CD. Hmm, completely irrelevant statement, I know.

I liked the story too.
In fact, I bought an extra 4mb of Ram for 400$ to play the game smootly. I think it was 1 week after a Taiwan RAM manufacturer burned down.

I'm hoping Ross Ridge will work his MyJemm magic on the Strike Commander CD version. I can get it running in DOS, but there's something screwy with my SBLive!'s SB16 emulation. So, no sound of any kind. Which neuters the game for me, so I've never played it farther than a couple of missions. But it really seems great!

Wedge009 said:
Ahead of Wing Commander? Wow.

If you really wanna know... I rather see Strike Commander 2 than Wing Commander 6. The storie is just better and more intens than WC (except WC4 maybe) and dogfighting in the grandcanyon, between piramids and skyscrapers (Calafornia) is just a bit more exsiting for me than the emptyness of space. The weapons also requir more skill. The anti ground weapons all have different aiming methods.

As good as Strike Commander was (I didn't play it too much) , do you really felt the story to be more intense than WC 1,2 or 3? Wow - I mean, taste is taste but I definetly don't agree.

To be honest, I don't really remember. :)
But since we had the game it would strike me weird that I quit it after 3 missions. I do remember that I liked it but there isn't much that stuck to my mind, except some cutscenes (the window!), the "buy missiles"screen and the loadout-screen.
Maybe we both just have different taste for what we regard an intense story. :rolleyes:

For my part, all I remember of Strike Commander is having some money problem, bombing something in Columbia or Panama, and some guy dying. I think there was also a group of rivals mercenaries and a jeep to go the bar to get contracts.

Maybe there should be a Strike Commander mod of some other game (such as Starshatter, when it finally comes out).

I also want to see a WC mod of Starshatter.

There was a really intense rivalry between the Wildcats and the Jackals. And also a burning need to avenge the murder of Stern (the previous commander and your player character's mentor). Oh, and don't forget, you had to keep Virgil (The Wildcat's accountant) happy. :)

Commander <Insert Player Character's name> versus Commander Prideaux of the Jackals. Prideaux was just about everything Stern and the Wildcats were not - he and the Jackals are in it for the money, and only the money. IIRC, you have the chance to go head to head with them in Tactical Operations - and take out their base! :)

[Interesting... mercenaries with conscience!]

That (seemingly) French name...might be familiar. Memory is a wonderful thing, isn't it. ;)

And you take out their base? That doesn't sound very nice. Or are they...evil?

Don't forget Vixen... When she saves you from those robers at night and you go to her home :D . It was a pitty that you have to kill/fight her to get the F22 :(

That's it, The Fly, you convinced me to play Strike Commander again. :p
I agree that was hard to shoot down plane with the gun. Most of the time, I would just fly for 15min before being able to gun it down or would end up hearing a lot of PULL UP PULL UP, before crashing. Except for the training mission, where you can hit an airliner with an AMRAMM from distance. That was fun.

There was also something with some two oil companies. This Walters guy from TWP... in the beginning of the game Vixen destroys one off their learjets. This is also the reason why she steps out of the Wildcats. She was supposed to prevent the plane from landing not destroy it. Anyways later you fly for GO (the other oilcompany) to destroy the headquarers of TWP in Calafornia... (I love that part... it's where you get to dogfight between the skyskrapers :D ). Than suddenly this Walters guy knocks on the Wildcats door and apologices for the insident and he wants to make friends. Ofcourse it's all a lie ;) . GO will send like 25 SU flankers at the Wildcats base. Damn that sure was hard :D. Then when you want to collect the money from Walters you'll discover that he's about to leave. You kill him :D . Something like that happened. It's actually one of the many mini stories that goes in the main story of Strike Commander.

Back