• Good

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I dont give a damn

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Ghost
But still requires sound waves travelling across the space. (that is the whole scene point)
If Taggart himself says so, why i won´t believe it?
Thinking otherwise is silly.
You can defend the WCM all what you want, but some things are indefensibles.

That's stupid though. Taggart doesn't tell everyone to shush because sound waves might be picked up across space. Everyone is screaming, but the battle isn't over yet.. so he yells at everyone to shut up. Nothing more, nothing less. Calling it some sort of terrible indefensible act is insane. It's an incredibly minor conversational piece that people are somehow blowing up into some unbelievable block to suspension of disbelief. I'm just shocked every time someone suggests it because it's such a stretch to turn that scene into any sort of problem.

Originally posted by Magician
II have a great passion and love for the WC games, universe and story lines - and from what I read, and heard about when the WC movie came out - they took all that the fans cherished and flushed it down the toilet.

This did not give me any incentive to go and see the film, on the contrary, it pretty made me pig headed about not seeing it and not spoiling my WC enjoyment. (Not even trying to get the same actors for the film was an enormous mistake in my mind, plus aiming for a more "teenage" audience as well).

Nobody can predict whether you'll like the WC movie or not. The movie is like a prequel.. it takes place long before WC3/4.. it would not have made sense to get the original actors for it. That being said, if they wanted to, they could have. Mark Hamill has an uncredited cameo as the computer voice in the movie. There are tons of points that are wonderful beautiful touches of continuity throughout the movie. There are also parts where things must be changed, just like they change from game to game.

In the WC version that Jetlag provided me, Taggart says that the gamma rays are clouding their screens and that they (kilrathi) can´t see or hear them.

I must own up here and admit that I have never seen the WC movie and I more or less never intend to do so.
Too bad for you. I personally don't like the WC movie all that much (though I did find enough likeable things in there to justify watching it multiple times), but I certainly don't regret the fact that it was made or the money I spent on the DVD. It's well worth seeing, if only so that you can form your own opinion on it rather than relying on what others say.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
It was a problem that Roberts casted a teen heart throb as Blair. Introducing teen girls to a gaming series through a cute guy (i really don't see how) is not the way to go.
On the contrary, introducing teen girls to a gaming series any way you can is definitely the way to go. Imagine the extra unit sales...

I must own up here and admit that I have never seen the WC movie and I more or less never intend to do so.

dude, it's WC, that should be reason enough to go see it. i'll admit i was dissapointed in it (but i went into the theater with high expectations), but i'm not sorry i spent the money to go see it. the WC experience is not, repeat NOT complete if you don't see the movie.

Originally posted by Ghost
Well, you can always argue that pilots have headphones in the helmet that *simulates* the guns-sounds and other things.
But using sound based technology is another thing.

That's a nice argument, but it doesn't hold. The audience hears sounds even when the camera is out there in outer space, it's not restricted to the pilots. Anyway, they use something that looks like a * space sonar * on WC.

It's just something that movices and game would suck without, so everyone ignores it, as long as people don't go overboard, which some felt WC did.

Originally posted by Delance
That's a nice argument, but it doesn't hold. The audience hears sounds even when the camera is out there in outer space, it's not restricted to the pilots. Anyway, they use something that looks like a * space sonar * on WC.

..operated by Radar Man Falk.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
..operated by Radar Man Falk.

Movie Viewer: "Hey! That was space sonar! That's impossible! There's no sound in space!"

WC Fan: "Oh, that looks like sonar, but it actually is a advanced computronic sonoric radar perciever. It's also a reference to Das Boot, but it is in no way impossible because even sound in space is computer-generated in the earphones of pilots, and the Kilrathi look terrific."

Movie Viewer: "Hey! That was space sonar! That's impossible! There's no sound in space!"

I seriously don't see how people can connect the dots and come up with that conclusion. Unless you're digging around trying to find things to nitpick, the scenes just really doesn't come off as anything but Paladin telling everyone to stop screaming because the Kilrathi were still onto them.

I seriously don't see how people can connect the dots and come up with that conclusion. Unless you're digging around trying to find things to nitpick, the scenes just really doesn't come off as anything but Paladin telling everyone to stop screaming because the Kilrathi were still onto them.

A lot of people commented on this. It was, in fact, even on some reviews. One thing is to have sonud in space, but another is for someone to be quiet on a spaceship so no one will hear them. It's goofy, something that belongs more to "Spaceballs".

Spaceball: "Listen, they are close!"
Dark Helmet: "Shut up, asshole, they will hear us!"
Spaceball: "But, sir, there's no sound in space!"
Dark Helmet (lowers his helmet): "You dare to insult my schwartz?"
Sbaceball: (whispers) "No, sorry, sir, please, let me get you something from Mr. Coffe."
Dark Helmet: "Much better."

I see no reason to assume that the average movie-goer is a horrible jerk.

Anachronism is a literary technique -- and it's something Wing Commander has been based around since the very beginning. It's World War II in space! Aircraft carriers complete with big flat flight decks travelling around in space? Marines launching amphibious invasions from space? None of that makes a lick of sense. But that's not the point. The setting exists to tell a relatable story above all else -- and Wing Commander has always used a very "unrealistic" setting to do this. Picking out one individual part and claiming it ruined your life is just your prejudice for or against some particular product shining through.

A lot of people commented on this. It was, in fact, even on some reviews. One thing is to have sonud in space, but another is for someone to be quiet on a spaceship so no one will hear them. It's goofy, something that belongs more to "Spaceballs".

I don't think Chris was *denying* that people bitched about this -- but people are stupid, and their complaints made no sense. How many people here have served on a submarine? Assuming ^Death_ is busy at work, none of you. How many people here have ever asked anyone to be quiet? Oh, is it maybe... everyone? But, but, but... according to movie reviewers, the only situation that can possibly exist where people need to be quiet is on a submarine!

But still requires sound waves travelling across the space. (that is the whole scene point)

"You can't have sound in space!!!!!!" has long been the inane complaint visited upon... every single science fiction series ever. It's drama versus realism, and fiction will pick drama every time. Way back in '94, Wing Commander Armada threw out an excellent 'fuck you' to people complaining about how WC1/2 had *sound*: they armed Kilrathi fighters with a "Sonic Accelerator Cannon" and left it at that. :)

In the WC version that Jetlag provided me, Taggart says that the gamma rays are clouding their screens and that they (kilrathi) can´t see or hear them.

The version Jetlag has posted is the second draft of the script -- it's an entire rewrite behind the one that was actually shot (which was, in turn, significantly changed in post production).

It was a problem that Roberts casted a teen heart throb as Blair. Introducing teen girls to a gaming series through a cute guy (i really don't see how) is not the way to go.

Yeah, if there's one thing I want to stay away from, it's teen girls!

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

"You can't have sound in space!!!!!!" has long been the inane complaint visited upon... every single science fiction series ever. It's drama versus realism, and fiction will pick drama every time. Way back in '94, Wing Commander Armada threw out an excellent 'fuck you' to people complaining about how WC1/2 had *sound*: they armed Kilrathi fighters with a "Sonic Accelerator Cannon" and left it at that. :)

Yeah, what i mean is that they (author,director,whatever) tried to explain (or induce) that moment,with sonic waves(sound) travelling across the space to shut up everyone.

The version Jetlag has posted is the second draft of the script -- it's an entire rewrite behind the one that was actually shot (which was, in turn, significantly changed in post production).

No, i mean the DVD-rip with spanish subtitles.

About the use of anachronisms, sometimes it works great, some doesn’t. This time it didn’t. It's not because it has worked before that it will work every single time.

Anyway, what dramatic effect? It was goofy, and helped erode any good qualities the movie had left. It was not the all that important, it was just something people liked to comment on.

It's all about suspension of disbelief. For some people, it was pushed too far, since they are far more tolerant to an unrealistic thing depending on how cool it is. They are not “horrible jerks” or “very stupid” because of that.

Sound in space and Laser-swords (lightsabers, whatever) are "cool". Submarine warfare in space isn’t. Big deal.

It's all about suspension of disbelief. For some people, it was pushed too far, since they are far more tolerant to an unrealistic thing depending on how cool it is. They are not “horrible jerks” or “very stupid” because of that.

Sound in space and Laser-swords (lightsabers, whatever) are "cool". Submarine warfare in space isn’t. Big deal.

It's a matter of wanting to find nits to pick. There isn't even disbelief to suspend there unless you're looking for problems.

It's a matter of wanting to find nits to pick. There isn't even disbelief to suspend there unless you're looking for problems.

Anyway, we can spend a lot of time debating the reasons to why it happened. I just mentioned the fact. It’s just a fact. Now we can talk about to why it happened, and analyze it from a psychological or sociological point of view, but who cares.

Anyway, we can spend a lot of time debating the reasons to why it happened. I just mentioned the fact. It’s just a fact. Now we can talk about to why it happened, and analyze it from a psychological or sociological point of view, but who cares.

What fact is that? If you just mentioned a fact, then I'd have nothing to say. :)

Originally posted by ChrisReid What fact is that? If you just mentioned a fact, then I'd have nothing to say. :)

People complained about the whole space sonar thing. It's a fact. Do you want proof? I can go search some old stuff and try to find some "evidence" from circa 1999.

Christ on a fucking pony.. your factual point is that people wrongly bitch and moan about so-called "space sonar?" Of course they do. Woop-de-do. You win!

I thought you were going to try to whip out facts about it supposedly being sonar. I was already ready to do the opposite when I reread your post. Might as well post.
"they stepped onto the bridge to find Taggart at the radar station, staring into nothingness as the telltale beep of an incoming beep grew louder." Bottom of page 177. There we go.. beeps like a modern day sonar might.. but it's a freakin radar station.

your factual point is that people wrongly bitch and moan about so-called "space sonar?" Of course they do. Woop-de-do. You win!

I thought you were going to try to whip out facts about it supposedly being sonar. I was already ready to do the opposite when I reread your post. Might as well post.
"they stepped onto the bridge to find Taggart at the radar station, staring into nothingness as the telltale beep of an incoming beep grew louder." Bottom of page 177. There we go.. beeps like a modern day sonar might.. but it's a freakin radar station.

And, as I mentioned before, of course there's an explanation somewhere, but page 177 of Telep's novel was not readily accessible to the casual moviegoer.

It looked like a sonar (which the novel says it wasn't) and a reference to the submarine movies (which it actually was). It was enough for people to complain. That's just it.

Back