Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • I dont give a damn

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

Maniac II

Rear Admiral
I know this is likely to get moved... but who thinks that it is a good thing that Freddie Prinze Jr. will no longer be acting, more so for any WC products... i mean he was only in WCM, but that was bad enough...but what do you think... is it a good thing, a bad thing, or could you not care less?

I agree wholeheartedly. My biggest complaint against the WCM's Maniac is that I never thought he'd dye his hair like that. :p

--Eder

Matthew played his part well...he was like in WCA. But I was disappointed with Taggart. Too bad they made him french in the movie. I missed his scottish slang "Hey, glad ta see ya, laddie!":)

Originally posted by Lynx
... I was disappointed with Taggart. Too bad they made him french in the movie. I missed his scottish slang "Hey, glad ta see ya, laddie!":)

I believe the explanation for that was something along the lines of Paladin having to act out different guises because of the nature of his job. Therefore, any accent he had is questionable, whether or not it really was his own. The French accent was part of a cover.

That's something I've heard, though.

I didn't care for the whole wing commander movie. In my opinon they would of had a better movie if they would of taken movie scenes from WC III or IV and then used the models used for the game to film the ship sequences.

I didn't care for Freddie Prinze's portrayal of Blair, nor Lillards version of Maniac. Didn't like the Kilrathi either, they should have just used the same puppets or whatever from the games. And the uniforms of the Tiger's Claw crewmen, along with the interiors of the ship reminded me of Das Boot more than a futuristic space combat movie.

Sorry everyone, but i don't have anything positive to say about the movie. I keep comming up with more negatives.

Originally posted by ck9791
I didn't care for the whole wing commander movie. In my opinon they would of had a better movie if they would of taken movie scenes from WC III or IV and then used the models used for the game to film the ship sequences.

yeah, the games did have better acting than the movie. and it would have been better if the ships didn't look like cigars with guns. but all in all, it was better than nothing

I didn't care for Freddie Prinze's portrayal of Blair, nor Lillards version of Maniac. Didn't like the Kilrathi either, they should have just used the same puppets or whatever from the games. And the uniforms of the Tiger's Claw crewmen, along with the interiors of the ship reminded me of Das Boot more than a futuristic space combat movie.

it was funny to see the kilrathi look like shaved monkeys wasn't it :D and as for the das boot feeling, that was intentional

Originally posted by Col.Dom
I believe the explanation for that was something along the lines of Paladin having to act out different guises because of the nature of his job. Therefore, any accent he had is questionable, whether or not it really was his own. The French accent was part of a cover.

That's something I've heard, though.

To further this end.. Tcheky Karyo isn't French.. it's a French Turk accent he has..

Originally posted by Aries
it was funny to see the kilrathi look like shaved monkeys wasn't it :D and as for the das boot feeling, that was intentional

your right, it was like Das Boot... right down to Jurgen Prochnow

Originally posted by Maniac II
your right, it was like Das Boot... right down to Jurgen Prochnow

And the "destroyer hunting submarine" scene that broke the suspension of disbelief. Apparently, people can accept sound in space, but not sonar in space.

Well, you can always argue that pilots have headphones in the helmet that *simulates* the guns-sounds and other things.
But using sound based technology is another thing.

Originally posted by Delance
And the "destroyer hunting submarine" scene that broke the suspension of disbelief. Apparently, people can accept sound in space, but not sonar in space.

oh yeah, i remember that part... on Das Boot the Sub is being hunted by a Destroyer... in WCM the CARRIER is being hunted by a Destroyer... they did that on purpose didnt they?

Originally posted by Ghost
Well, you can always argue that pilots have headphones in the helmet that *simulates* the guns-sounds and other things.
But using sound based technology is another thing.

You'd also have to be silly to think that the "sonar" operation worked anything like modern submarine sonar. I was frankly amazed that people actually griped about that. It's just another technobabble radar-like sensing technology.. and people go all whiny because the movie wants the bridge quiet during a tense time trying to interpret it.

I must own up here and admit that I have never seen the WC movie and I more or less never intend to do so.

I have a great passion and love for the WC games, universe and story lines - and from what I read, and heard about when the WC movie came out - they took all that the fans cherished and flushed it down the toilet.

This did not give me any incentive to go and see the film, on the contrary, it pretty made me pig headed about not seeing it and not spoiling my WC enjoyment. (Not even trying to get the same actors for the film was an enormous mistake in my mind, plus aiming for a more "teenage" audience as well).

If anybody on here can convince me otherwise, and assure me that I will not be outraged and disappointed by watching the film then I will believe them, and give the movie a go. (After all who else but the members of this Forum can give an honest opinion about the film :D )

Well, okay, since I actually like the movie. When I first saw it in theaters, I will admit, I disliked it. I thought it was a travesty to Wing Commander. However, I saw it again when a friend of mine rented it for kicks.

In order to enjoy the movie, you must first dump everything you know about Wing Commander. Forget about the continuity and forget about your conception of the characters. Think of it as looking at the Wing Commander universe from another light.

Secondly, accept the fact that it is Wing Commander anything. What I mean is- hey, it may not be perfect... but at least it is a Wing Commander movie! So, focus on the cool stuff.

Another thing is to be be grateful they didn't base it off of the horrid Super Wing Commander game. We lucked out, there! :p

Originally posted by ChrisReid
You'd also have to be silly to think that the "sonar" operation worked anything like modern submarine sonar.

But still requires sound waves travelling across the space. (that is the whole scene point)
If Taggart himself says so, why i won´t believe it?
Thinking otherwise is silly.
You can defend the WCM all what you want, but some things are indefensibles.

It was a problem that Roberts casted a teen heart throb as Blair. Introducing teen girls to a gaming series through a cute guy (i really don't see how) is not the way to go.

Originally posted by T8H3X11
It was a problem that Roberts casted a teen heart throb as Blair.

Well, personally, I thought Freddie Prinze looked the part of a youthful "Bluehair."

Also, I was given the impression (in WC3 & 4, at least) that Blair was a lady-killer. If that's part of his character, wouldn't it make sense to cast someone who appeals to the ladies?

Back