Next XBox Rumors

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Another bit slipped out today in EA/DICE's battlefield report. http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/22/news_6118986.html
Besides the Battlefield 2 information, DICE's earnings report made official what its release schedule accidentally revealed last November--that Battlefield: Modern Combat will be released for the next-generation Xbox in 2005. "At least two game releases are planned for 2005--Battlefield 2 for PC and Battlefield Modern Combat for Xbox, Playstation 2 and Microsoft's forthcoming platform," read the report. The new date further solidifies the near-industry-wide assumption that the Xbox Next (aka the Xbox 360 aka the NexTbox) will be released this year.
XBox/Console haters can find another thread. I'm just curious if there's gonna be many people here upgrading this year if the next XBox does indeed come out, as the rumors have been increasingly leaning towards.

Well, considering it isn't really an upgrade unless they find a way to support the old games (new XBox is PowerPC, old x86, new graphics are ATi, old nVidia).

Plus, there are at least two different versions of the XBox 360 - one with a hard drive and the one that will be released earlier, the one without.

Worf said:
Well, considering it isn't really an upgrade unless they find a way to support the old games (new XBox is PowerPC, old x86, new graphics are ATi, old nVidia).

This isn't a thread about semantics.

Worf said:
Plus, there are at least two different versions of the XBox 360 - one with a hard drive and the one that will be released earlier, the one without.

They haven't announced any details whatsoever on the name, hard drive, ship dates or multiple versions of the system.

MS is putting PowerPC chips into whateverbox? Is he talking like G level chips or 604e?

Kind of interesting since MS and intel have been tied together for so long....good move by MS though if it's true PowerPC chips have a lot of advantages.

More info from CV&G.....

"XBOX 2 TO FEATURE REMOVABLE HARD DRIVE, CUSTOM COVERS...

...And every other new Xbox 2 rumour worth its salt. Step inside and we'll drench you with speculation...

15:19 Microsoft's next-gen Xbox - also known as Xbox 2, Xbox Next, Xbox 360 or Xenon - will come with a removable iPod-style hard drive and feature customisable pop-on-pop-off covers like those diddy Smart cars.
According to internet reports, that is. The Xbox 2 rumour mill is on full grind right now, but it seems the speculation is homing closer and closer to the truth as the next-gen machine's expected late 2005 release date looms.

Most interestingly of all the whispers riding the winds of rumour, a report on gadget website Engadget suggests that Xbox 2 will indeed feature a detachable hard drive. This feature has been rumoured since Xbox big cheese J Allard spoke of such a removabel device last year.

According to Engadget's reports, the hard drive will slot neatly into a slick recepticle on the top of the system, "almost like the hood scoop on a muscle car". Furthermore, it's suggested that you will be able to buy Xbox 2 with or without the hard drive (with an option to pick one up later), an assertion that reinforces claims that the Xbox 2 will be available in three versions - a basic console, the console with hard drive fitted, and a PC-style version with additional features.
While this may sound strange considering the current Xbox has a hard drive, we imagine you'd still be able to hold your saved games on a memory card while the detachable hard drive would be used for multimedia files and memory-intensive applications.

So can we expect detachable hard drives? Engadget is quoting a source close to the product, and we've certainly heard whispers from our sources that we should expect a detachable storage device. Looking pretty likely, then.

But there's more. Gaming blog Kotaku is also carrying alleged Xbox 2 information, again from an "exclusive source". This little haul of details seems to confirm the Xbox 360 moniker (which certainly seems to be gathering legitimacy amongst powerful people within the industry), offers that the console design will look softer with "sweeps and curves" replacing the hard lines of the original Xbox, and suggests that the console's exterior can be customised with "designer face plates".

We've also heard that Xbox 2 will indeed strike a smoother, slimmer pose than its little brother. According to our sources, it'll weigh in with about the same size and weight as Sony's PS2 (the old one, not the wee one) and feature curved edges designed to slim it down even further.

And the official word on all this? Unfortunately, representatives from Microsoft UK were unavailable for comment at the time of press, but given the speculative nature of all these reports we think we can imagine the response we'd get...

We'll keep watching the rumours and bringing you the latest on Xbox 2."

Sounds interesting so far....
I'll probably get the PC-style one (if I can afford it that is)

Horus said:
Is this PowerPC chip anything like a 'cell' that there putting in the PS3?

Its about as related to the PowerPC as it is to our 80x86 compatible chips. But if only half of what they tell about the Cell chip in the PS3 is true the it will blow away any Xbox2 or PC. I just wait for the first price line on the PS3...

Ok, as I understand it the xbox 2 is not going to be shipping until 2006...and it will initially be in two versions: 1 comes with a harddrive...the other does not. A few months later a separate xbox pc will come out (i.e. its a full blown computer and can run pc games, software etc.). I will probably purchase 1 of the initial xbox 2 with a hard drive. I'm hoping cost won't be above $300. Further rumors are that the next Halo will be released with next xbox generation...

I don't know why but since Halo 2 came out I have not played a different xbox game...but to be fair, I don't play my xbox all that much anyway.

What to choose, what to choose xbox2 or not to be xbox2.

If I have to make a choice between all three versions of th xbox next, I'll choose the one that can play the pc games so that my friends and I can have lan parties. Then again cost will be the deciding factor so I just might end up buying the version without the harddrive. Of course I'll be buying the PS3 and the psp when they both come out. The only question will remain, just where the H@$$ will I put the ps3, x-box2 next to my ps2 and x-box1? Particularly when I have no more room for electronics.

Maj.Striker said:
Ok, as I understand it the xbox 2 is not going to be shipping until 2006...and it will initially be in two versions: 1 comes with a harddrive...the other does not. A few months later a separate xbox pc will come out (i.e. its a full blown computer and can run pc games, software etc.). I will probably purchase 1 of the initial xbox 2 with a hard drive. I'm hoping cost won't be above $300. Further rumors are that the next Halo will be released with next xbox generation...

I don't know why but since Halo 2 came out I have not played a different xbox game...but to be fair, I don't play my xbox all that much anyway.

The next installment for Halo will actually be what Bungie has called "Halo 2.5". They're calling it that because Halo 2 didnt end the way they wanted to...
(SLIGHT SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!)
the cliff hanger at the end wasnt supposed to be the endyou were originally supposed to continue on, but since the loyal fans (like myself) where about to lynch somebody if they pushed it back again, basically got some karmic backlash. We bit the hand that fed us and payed for it, with a Cliff hanger.

Maniac II said:
The next installment for Halo will actually be what Bungie has called "Halo 2.5". They're calling it that because Halo 2 didnt end the way they wanted to...

Bungie has made absolutely no announcement whatsoever about the next game in the Halo series.

Maniac II said:
the cliff hanger at the end wasnt supposed to be the endyou were originally supposed to continue on, but since the loyal fans (like myself) where about to lynch somebody if they pushed it back again, basically got some karmic backlash. We bit the hand that fed us and payed for it, with a Cliff hanger.

It wasn't ever "pushed back." They announced just one release date, and stuck to that date. If you watch the developer interviews on the limited edition bonus disc, they explain a lot about the game's development. The Earth stuff was eliminated before they announced a release date due to technical constraints. I should just close this. If I wanted to read about pseudo facts, I'd go to the spider page

I'll be picking one up for free (Roommate knows how to work the system due to the fact he's a manager at EB) as well as utilizing two free Xbox Live accounts.

Though I doubt I'll play it much. It's just nice to have just in case.

Chris, if the Xbox 2 shows me anything like Xbox has, you won't have to spend a year trying to get me to buy one. :-D Also, if Xbox 2 can play PC games, this is yet another step in giving XBox a leg up on the market.

I still think everyone needs to have Xbox live, it is a beautiful add in that just exands all the live capable games.

-Rance-

NuclearPenguins said:
I'll be picking one up for free (Roommate knows how to work the system due to the fact he's a manager at EB) as well as utilizing two free Xbox Live accounts.

Hehe, what's that mean? I'm a video game store manager too. Don't need to actually be part of the video game industry to steal stuff though.

vindicator said:
Chris, if the Xbox 2 shows me anything like Xbox has, you won't have to spend a year trying to get me to buy one. :-D Also, if Xbox 2 can play PC games, this is yet another step in giving XBox a leg up on the market.

The XBox 2 won't play PC games.

Back