Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Crossbow

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Hornet

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Rapier (WC1)

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
I voted Crossbow because I agree that it's the only ship in this list that's actually overrated in the sense that it wasn't as super as we were told it would be (Rapier in WC1 being the second). Still, it's not a bad ship, unlike the Hellcat which is incredibly uninspiring.

What I found the most unbalancing about the Dragon was the combination of high speed, good manoeuverability and the very heavy protection.

What I found the most unbalancing about the Dragon was the combination of high speed, good manoeuverability and the very heavy protection.

That's why I added it to the list. Honestly it lives up to its... "Reputation" in every sense of the word. The ironic part is it does it TOO well. It sort of sucks the fun and the challenge out of the game.

4. Excalibur (Thunderbolt, please!)

What the hell are you talking about? The Thunderbolt was a clunky old thing, the Excalibur was twice as fast and maneuverable and had better guns and two more missiles, not to mention much better looking!

What the hell are you talking about? The Thunderbolt was a clunky old thing, the Excalibur was twice as fast and maneuverable and had better guns and two more missiles, not to mention much better looking!

But the good old Thunderbolt has far more armor. Speed is more then sufficient, at least for my flight style (which means heavy use of 'burners) and it works better as a bomber.
The Excalibur has paper armor, at least it feels like that.

But the good old Thunderbolt has far more armor. Speed is more then sufficient, at least for my flight style (which means heavy use of 'burners) and it works better as a bomber.
The Excalibur has paper armor, at least it feels like that.

And I wasn't too fond of the Auto tracking, plus it just seemed crappier when they replaced the Reaper cannon with Ion guns:mad:

I find speed and nimbleness very important in the Wing Commander games. I only remember the Thunderbolt's single torpedo coming in handy a couple of times (like the Laconda IV mission with the bioweapon capship missiles). And I thought it's guns didn't compare to the Excalibur's quad tachyon guns which seemed to destroy things instantly. Although I do remember Hobbes being tough to kill with his rear turret.

Come to think of it, it's been a pretty long time (roughly 10 years) since I played WC3 and being older and wiser now I might play it differently. Just replayed Privateer 2 and this time I made a lot more money and didn't stick with a cheap, crappy fighter until near the end.

I find speed and nimbleness very important in the Wing Commander games. I only remember the Thunderbolt's single torpedo coming in handy a couple of times (like the Laconda IV mission with the bioweapon capship missiles). And I thought it's guns didn't compare to the Excalibur's quad tachyon guns which seemed to destroy things instantly. Although I do remember Hobbes being tough to kill with his rear turret.

Come to think of it, it's been a pretty long time (roughly 10 years) since I played WC3 and being older and wiser now I might play it differently. Just replayed Privateer 2 and this time I made a lot more money and didn't stick with a cheap, crappy fighter until near the end.

Yeah replay it, no one likes the Tbolt the first time through, but the second and third, especially when you really feel it's punch on full guns.

Although I do remember Hobbes being tough to kill with his rear turret.

I've always thought that, in the final space mission of WC3, should you not chase Hobbes after he guts Cobra, the T-bolt he flew was a greater concern than the Bloodfang, supposedly the baddest-ass fighter in the Kilrathi arsenal. That turret gun was one of the reasons.

I've always thought that, in the final space mission of WC3, should you not chase Hobbes after he guts Cobra, the T-bolt he flew was a greater concern than the Bloodfang, supposedly the baddest-ass fighter in the Kilrathi arsenal. That turret gun was one of the reasons.

Does anybody know if Hobbes flys the standard WC3 Thunderbolt, or did they mod his ship to make it harder to fight?

I'd have to agree with Loaf on the Crossbow. Advantages of the Crossbow was that it was an extra 50kps faster then the Broadsword and with the two Neutron guns up front it packed a nice punch if you could line up a target. Otherwise you have one less Pilum Friend or Foe Missile and no turrets to cover your port and starboard flanks.

Don't forget that it turns as well as a Ferret, that makes lining that big punch up a lot easier and dogfights are a lot less tedious than those in the Broadsword.

Don't forget that it turns as well as a Ferret, that makes lining that big punch up a lot easier and dogfights are a lot less tedious than those in the Broadsword.

You don't have to do as much in the broadsword. Those turrets rip a lot apart.

Back