It's that time of the year again...

Actually, I think everyone does that! I mean, making friends with the pirates and watching them blow the stuffing out of the merchants. I think since they're in Talons and like head-on strafing runs, pirates usually need to outnumber the merchants at least 2:1.

If it's any consolation, occasionally the pirates might carry Brilliance, liquor, or even food.

I'm friends with everyone, except the Retros and the Kilrathi (I do sometimes talk my way out of Kilrathi encounters though). Oh yeah, and the Militia (and Confed) sometimes put me on their "people to kill" list.

I can't say I've ever seen any pirates with cargo. They, the Retros, and the Kilrathi are all worthless. Bounty hunters make good huntin' though
wink2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually pirates around pirate bases have some cargo. Also the ones that were in Oxford during those missions carried stuff as well.

I like the mercenary killing spree Murphy gives you - there can be a lot of slaves just waiting for you to scoop 'em up! So do the Paradigms, come to think of it.
smile.gif

I don't believe the Militia, Retros, or Kilrathi carry anything, the odd Confed may decide to eject, and as I said before, pirates carry stuff occasionally as well. Obviously merchants are the way to go, if you're into piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh... I uh... am not into piracy. I just do... salvage... yes, that's it. I do salvage operations. All nice and legal...

Hey... I remember something verry funny about Privateer. We can change a faction's attitude towards us by 'befrieding' them. I don't know the true formula of this, but one say either you kill some of the faction's enemy (say... kill some Kilrathi to make friends with Confed) or you can send a commo (number 3 actually) to improve their attitude towards you.

Well.. funniest part: Even the Kilrathi can let us go.

Well... if I fly into a nav point, meet some pirates, the first thing I do is not open fire on them, but... well... tap 'C' then 'Pirate' and '3' (I swear I'll shut my mouth!) over and over again, and they'll stop firing. This is one aspect of the gameplay which is a bit... odd.
How do you repeatively send the same lines and sentences over and over again in real life? (You don't... unless 26th century privateers carry on a recording of 'making friends' on their comm equipment).

Note, that this won't work against Retros (which makes Retros my favorite target practise) and in-script encounters (say... you're suppose to attack pirates at Nav 4... the Nav 4 pirates will never... never be your friend).

--
If you want to notice a bit in-game inconsitency...

When you start working with Tayla, she says she'll deal out the pirates for us (read: Pirates won't attack us), but then... only in the Pentonville system... other system's pirates still attack us (unless... like me, you're already in good terms with them).

Also... if you already have a friendly relationship with any faaction, don't take Lynch's fixing offer in Righteous fire... it'll just reset your relations down to Neutral and Hostile with the Kilrathi and Retros (oops.. Retros are never nice with you).

Hope this info is a useful...

-RVN

TheFraix said:
Also... if you already have a friendly relationship with any faaction, don't take Lynch's fixing offer in Righteous fire... it'll just reset your relations down to Neutral and Hostile with the Kilrathi and Retros (oops.. Retros are never nice with you).

I think most of us knew that already.

But really, if you've already made friends with the Kilrathi, Lynch can't do anything to change that. So when you accept the offer, kill a lot more Retros, your status becomes friendly to all factions other than Retros. But by then the game has probably worn out - even having Kilrathi to shoot at would be nice.

Back