FTL travel confirmed!!!!!!!

Flat universe? oh well...
frown.gif

There goes the wormhole... (j/k)

Say that we get a feasible way to accelerate a spaceship to near light speed, how are we going to be certain that everything will keep in one piece, with everyone inside alive?
Perhaps accelerating something to near-light speed would take years...
tongue.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited July 25, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Meson for the articles, somehow that report slipped through my fingers. Damn, that means our universe will die someday. Sorta had hoped that it would collapse and be reborn. Oh well. Also, Wormholes are still techincally possible, since space can still be curved by enough mass or negative engery matter.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the universe's flatness doesn't actually mean it's flat? As I recall, the analogy used was that of a twisted piece of paper.

Hmm, but if it's going to expand forever, then how does it die?

Doesn't entropy come into play then?
Everything turning into a thin soup of matter... Or something like that.
Or even that is already obsolete...
confused.gif

------------------
The WC Source Code Release Project needs you!

"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

"...we follow the sun, we follow the sun, we follow the sun..."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Universe will die what is called a cold death. As it keeps expanding with the same finite amount of matter the universe will gradually grow more sparse and colder and colder until matter is so spread out that Nuclear fusion is impossible. Not to worry, that's a long way away. Just no nice rebirth that way. I guess we now have to find enough dark matter to explain why a galaxy doesn't rip itself apart. And it is not perfectly flat, space is still curved but it is not curved in on itself (closed) it is more like a saddle. If you can imagine a saddle shaped universe that is. I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that is you look for wave properties of light, you get wave properties. If you look for particle properties, you then get those properties. As it was once said, "The universe is not only stranger than we suppose, It is stranger than we CAN suppose."

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Back