FTL travel confirmed!!!!!!!

Vondoom

Spaceman
A few weeks ago I posted an article about researches who by bathing an laser with cesium atoms increased the speed of the light wave 300 TIMES the speed of light. This has now been confirmed and you can find the article at
http://go.msn.com/CM/11212/default.asp?target=http://www.discovery.com/news/briefs/20000719/mi_light.html

Also, scientists recentlys slowed down light waves to a measly 38 MPH, so you can honestly say your car can travel faster than light. Unfortunatly, FTL speeds as of right now still can only be accomplished by massless forms, such as light and electro-magnetic energy. But then again, Einstien said nothing could travel faster than light, so who knows what is really possible. If anyone, scientist or otherwise says something is impossible because current science says it cannot be done, do not accept it as an absolute. It usually just means that they are too close minded to see or accept other possibilities.

That's really interesting but its a shame that is still doesn't let you do what most people consider as FTL travel. Think Star Trek. It the same with teleportation. We can't teleport matter per se. What we can do is get a chunk of matter and make an exact copy somewhere else. Again not like Star Trek. Intersesting not quite what everybodys' looking for.

Actually as of right now, all we have teleported is a few quanta of light. We have not even can close to teleporting matter of any size or sort. Teleportation is something that would be impractable if not impossible anyway. E=mc2. A single human being transformed into pure energy would be more energy than any nuclear weapon ever made on the planet. What could you use to contain such vast quantities and how much energy would you have to expend just to convert it back and forth and make sure it is reassembled in the correct form. As for FTL, it opens the door for the possiblity of real-time communication with alien civilizations. Proxima Centauri is the closest star to us at 4.26 LY. That means if aliens were there, a messege sent there and back would take almost 9 years. Now we can possibly send a messege there and it only take a little more than 5 days. And this is only the beginning. As for FTL travel for people, It will probably happen but not until we have some way to manipulate space, with exotic (or negative energy) matter. 100 years ago man had never flown in the air. 50 years ago no human had walked on the moon. 1 year ago the light barrier could not be surpassed in any way. We will go to the stars. It's just a matter of when.

Forever Dreaming,
Sammy Childress

At the rate that technology is going in an all around figure, it may not be feesible for someone in their 20's to see space travel.....but definitely those that are still under the age of 10 or just being born, will more then likely see space travel of some type in their futures. Course the first thing to go through massive changes will be the computer. We've all seen how just 5 years ago they said they couldn't break the 166MHZ barrier, now we have 1GHz systems and faster. In 5 more years the CPU times will increase by at least 10 times. After computers get fast enough, someone is going to mess around with matter/anti-matter. Yes I said that, if some remember it was discovered I think about 5 or 6 years ago or maybe longer. A couple of scientists were messing around with some stuff and created a small, very very small amount of it, but they did do it. However at the time technology was not good and it was left alone. Now we could really get to thinking on space travel. Someone mentioned ST type of travel. The basis of the warp drive on ST was from producing a vast amount of heat in kelvin temperatured space. Thus if you have those heat signatures pointed away from whatever was to be moved, it would go in the exact opposite direction with some variation, as nothing is perfect
smile.gif
. But now if they were to send someone out into space even for a test, you also have to remember that space is a level plane, to where our planet is not. If you remember the one flight test with the SR-71 Blackbird, where they went into space sort of, the atomic clock on the SR-71 was one second behind the atomic clock on the ground. If someone was sent into space on a test mission, say they were sent to Mars, since that probably isn't far away either. From the time they went there and back, they would have aged space time, not earth time, because of the lack of gravity for one and because space time isn't the same, for being on a level plane.

See if that cracked your minds a little....
smile.gif

------------------
Founder of the WCSC

All Men Seek Justice...
But Never Find Peace...

[This message has been edited by Scorp (edited July 21, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Computers are already really fast. By the time the new MacIntosh G4mp 500 Mhz (witch is roughly as fast as a Pentium III 2Ghz) computes an operation, the light that comes from your monitor has only come 4 inches closer to your face
smile.gif
<Homer Simpson style> hummm... 7 Gigaflop... MacIntosh G4... </Homer Simpson style>
hpproductshotpowermacsmall.jpg

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited July 21, 2000).]

Actually, Anti matter has been around for a while and scientists are can make it regularly. Unfortuanatly they can not stablize it nor make more than a few molecules at a time. Perhaps in 100 years that will begin to be a possible fuel source but not now. Fusion on the other hand we will see within the next 50 years. As for time slowing down, it is a function of speed (space is not a flat plane, it is curved, the amount depending the the amount of mass) and as one approaches light speed time slows down (this only applies to matter, not energy). But for any noticable difference, one must reach nearly 90 percent the speed of light to tell any real difference and the energy requirements for that speed are almost impossible with any currently feasible technology (even M/AM would require far too much fuel). But then again, there are almost guarenteed to be things that we do not know about yet, so we will see.

Also the Sr-71 test to which you refer was only inner space (still technically in our atmosphere) and the time differental was in thousands or probably ten thousandths of a second. We can't even begin to go fast enough to slow time down by a second. Also, there is no such thing as Space Time or our time, Time is relative. Time slows down near mass and with speed, but the amount needed for either to even be noticable requires either black holes or going above 90% light speed. Space and time are one and the same (space-time, the 4 dimensions of our universe) and you cannot alter one without the other.

Umm Vondoom, THe Universe is flat. A recent expirement proved this.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Meson: Read Vondoom's post again. He clearly mentions the curvature of space depending on the amount of mass accupying that space. More mass more curvature.

And about that MAC. How exactly is a 500Mhz system as fast as a PIII2Ghz? I do realise that different archetectures are more efficient than others but that comparison seems unrealistic. Plus I'm pretty sure the PIII2Ghz doesn't exist.

Intel is realeasing the PIV (Willamette) soon and that's supposed to go up to 1.5Ghz (for now anyway) and they have a new architecture (from Intel's description of how the chip works it sounds as if they're using an asynchronus design) that'll get up to 4.5Ghz.

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Meson: The Local universe was found to be flat but it is not perfectly flat and the Entire universe is definatly not flat. You must kn0ow that the Observable Universe is well less than 10% of the Universe and the experiment showed that local space is not greatly curved. The universe is curved though in what way is it curved depends on the amount of mass. The space near the center of our galaxy is curved due to the warping of the supermassive black hole there and we have photographs of other massive curvatures of space (including one photo of 7 quasars behind a massive galaxy, actually there is only ONE quasar, but the galaxy has so warped the space that it appears to us on the other side that there are 7. Also if the universe was truly flat Einstien's Theories would fall apart and since most of them relating to curved space have been confirmed that cannot be the case.

Sorry Vondoom, I was talking about the fact that the separations between clumps in the cosmic background radiation being 1 degee, which means the universe is flat and will expand forever.

------------------
Meson

Last I had heard we still did not know if the universe will stay constant, expand forever, or collapse. If the universe is truly flat it cannot expand forever. If there is enough dark matter, then it will expand and eventially die a cold death, while if there is too little it will collapse. They are still looking hard for the Dark matter to comfirm which fate our universe had. Where did you read that the entire universe was flat. I'd like to check out that article.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

steampunk said:
And about that MAC. How exactly is a 500Mhz system as fast as a PIII2Ghz? I do realise that different archetectures are more efficient than others but that comparison seems unrealistic. Plus I'm pretty sure the PIII2Ghz doesn't exist.

Intel is realeasing the PIV (Willamette) soon and that's supposed to go up to 1.5Ghz (for now anyway) and they have a new architecture (from Intel's description of how the chip works it sounds as if they're using an asynchronus design) that'll get up to 4.5Ghz.

Yeah, of course I know a PIII 2Ghz doesn't exist. You can buy a Dual G4 now or wait for Intel to make a P4 2Ghz
smile.gif
The comparasion was made using Intel's own benchmarks...
wink.gif
you can see G4 tech page here. Here's a bit of what they say:
The secret of the G4’s revolutionary performance is its aptly named Velocity Engine. It’s the heart of a supercomputer miniaturized onto a sliver of silicon. The Velocity Engine can process data in 128-bit chunks, instead of the smaller 32-bit or 64-bit chunks used in taditional processors (it’s the 128-bit vector processing technology used in scientific supercomputers — except that we’ve added 162 new instructions to speed up computations). In addition, it can perform four (in some cases eight) 32-bit floating-point calculations in a single cycle — two to four times faster than traditional processors. The PowerPC G4 with Velocity Engine works with the PowerPC architecture to accelerate the data-intensive processing required by next-generation video, voice and graphics applications. Among the G4 key features is a vector permute function capable of rearranging data in the registers — a priceless benefit when converting data from one format to another (often necessary with voice, video and graphics apps, which typically need to save data in a number of different formats). These vector processing acceleration advantages give the G4 microprocessor a significant edge when it comes to fast visualization of large data sets, and intensive math for real-time simulations. Making the G4 perfect for everything from graphics and 3D games to astronomy, the biosciences and predictive modeling.
processorphoto7081699.gif

The PowerPC G4 Velocity Engine can process information in 128-bit chunks, compared to the 32— or 64-bit chunks in traditional processors.

Hey, I myself rely on Intel's Pentium at home and at job. But having a Honda Civic doesn't mean I don't dream about the Ferrari !

-PopsiclePete

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited July 24, 2000).]

I'm still trying to figure out how Apple's going to run two G4s on the same board, when the OS they use doesn't support them. Even OS9 doesn't have SMP support.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

http://unisci.com/stories/20002/0427002.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_727000/727073.stm
http://www.discovery.com/news/briefs/20000426/space_universe.html
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/04/27/MN106337.DTL

are just some of the many atricles on the BOMERANG expirement that shows proof that the universe is flat. For others, do a search in the Science news section of Yahoo for balloons, flat universe, cosmic background radiation, etc.

------------------
Meson

Unless we bump or fall over the edge, this 'universe' has no shape at all. It's endless, as of now
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JoeyRP (edited July 25, 2000).]

Knight said:
I'm still trying to figure out how Apple's going to run two G4s on the same board, when the OS they use doesn't support them. Even OS9 doesn't have SMP support.

Well, they seem to have managed it. I've seen it put to the test, and it does goes twice as fast. And the next OS, MacOSX (x stands for 10) is based on a customised FreeBSD unix core, witch will be open-source. Expect Unix efficiency for the mac systems starting next year.

Hey, look at me.. I am talking Mac, and Mac, and Mac, but I can't afford one... I guess I'll have my Pentium 200 MMx for the next decade
frown.gif

------------------
PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete's WC Page : http://popsiclepete.cjb.net
E-mail : PopsiclePete@angelfire.com

Visit HCl's WC editing Archives

The WC Source Code Release Project needs YOU !

[This message has been edited by PopsiclePete (edited July 25, 2000).]

The FreeBSD Unix Core for the Macintosh will be of its own custom design. Considering Apple is still fighting amongst its members (if you remember a few months ago, Apple's executives were fighting amongst themselves on issues 'not disclosed'). That doesn't say much, but however; the 128-bit Velocity Engine is based on a free-standing system. Meaning, it is more suseptable to errors because the streamline is of the same length and speed. Like when being on a highway; the highway splits into different exits/overpasses. The Velocity Engine is based on the 'free-standing' system, meaning that there are 'less exits' on the highway. They did this to improve processing capacity; except that when the Velocity Engine begins to overclock and process more than it is meant to process (this happens very frequently with all computers), the 'bottlenecking' would be horrible. Worst than that on a standard 32 and 64 bit engines.

Just FYI, wait until you find your VE crashing when there are too many instructions going at once.

Speed is different from Capacity.

PopsiclePete said:
Well, they seem to have managed it. I've seen it put to the test, and it does goes twice as fast. And the next OS, MacOSX (x stands for 10) is based on a customised FreeBSD unix core, witch will be open-source. Expect Unix efficiency for the mac systems starting next year.

Hey, look at me.. I am talking Mac, and Mac, and Mac, but I can't afford one... I guess I'll have my Pentium 200 MMx for the next decade
frown.gif

Macs are too expensive here and the softwares are pricy, too! A lot of ado for so little support. I would'nt buy one
tongue.gif

------------------
Turn me loose, Colonel.
This is what I live for!

PopsiclePete said:

frown.gif

Thanks, now I don't feel alone with my 200 MMX
tongue.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Back