Found a random WC reference...

I'm sure it was something like that, gruff was posting silly stuff to up his count and was BRAGGING about it. That was his biggest mistake :)

Concerning the WCM, I'm actually sad when I find these jokes in other media, because it's bad for the WCU in general. I'd like it better when they make fun of the Street Fighter, Mario Bros. and REsident Evil movies, because THOSE games reputations aren't as marred by those references.

What it comes down to is that the WCM is bad for the WCU in general. You can't blame the critics in the media for speaking the truth.

I disagree, the movie added lots of great things to the universe - the Confed Handbook, all the background in two novels and so forth. The fact that everyone likes to be stupid about everything all the time reflects a lot more on everyone else than it does on Wing Commander.

I mean, do you have so little self respect that your enjoyment of Wing Commander is in some way effected by whether or not some guy who's poorly drawing a very bad Megatokyo ripoff (which, in and of itself...) liked the movie adaptation has some effect on you?

I'm just saying that if the movie had stayed more faithful to the games that inspired it, it would have had a much better reception by both established WC fans and general moviegoers.
Quite a few Wing Commander fans were disappointed by the film having very little resemblance to the games, and being a poor quality film, it didn't do much to help introduce new fans to the series.
The lack of enthusiasm for the movie probably has a lot to do with why there have been no new games.

I'm just saying that if the movie had stayed more faithful to the games that inspired it, it would have had a much better reception by both established WC fans and general moviegoers.

People act like that's some kind of amazing secret truth - but it isn't, at all. Wing Commander games are great and amazing to us... but the movie is about a hundred times as polished as any of the full motion video games. Seeing Mark Hamill act his way around a paper bag in front of a compressed bitmap on our 486ses was one of the high points of my life, to be sure, but it would not remotely have flown in front of theatergoers. The Wing Commander movie got ignored because it wasn't special - "that wasn't hotdogging, Maniac!" would have been laughed out of the theaters.

Quite a few Wing Commander fans were disappointed by the film having very little resemblance to the games, and being a poor quality film, it didn't do much to help introduce new fans to the series.

I meet a lot of Wing Commander fans who got into the series because of the movie. I meet a lot who hate the movie.

I also meet a lot who hate the novels, the animated series, the card game, the Privateer spinoffs, the full motion video games, the non full motion video games and every possible combination thereof. "Other people think it!" is the worst reason in the universe to make any sort of claim.

The lack of enthusiasm for the movie probably has a lot to do with why there have been no new games.

Do you have any facts to back that up? Because it's a pretty stupid claim to make if you don't. Now, I'm no expert {pause for laughter} but I'd be willing to wager that the shockingly low sales of high budget modern space sims coupled with the huge success of the Ultima Online franchise are the reason there hasn't been a new Wing Commander game. (All of the long lost WC titles we like to mourn were cancelled before the movie hit theaters, by the by.)

(Prophecy GBA exclusive.)

Anyways, I stand by my point. WCM jokes are bad to the WCU. no matter if I liked the movie or not. Only WC fans should be alowed to mock it!

Bandit LOAF said:
Do you have any facts to back that up? Because it's a pretty stupid claim to make if you don't. Now, I'm no expert {pause for laughter} but I'd be willing to wager that the shockingly low sales of high budget modern space sims coupled with the huge success of the Ultima Online franchise are the reason there hasn't been a new Wing Commander game. (All of the long lost WC titles we like to mourn were cancelled before the movie hit theaters, by the by.)

Be that as it may, if the movie was better, it probably would have been successful, and if the movie was successful, there would probably not only be a sequel to it, but it would have inspired the creation of new games.

These other space sims you mention are not Wing Commander.

I disagree - the quality of a movie... *especially* a science fiction movie... has very little to do with whether or not it's succesful. What genre stuff has made money in recent years? Attack of the Clones? The Matrix Resomethinged? I, Robot? The kinds of movies that make you want to drill out your own brain in frustration.

And again, read my post (the one that asked you to provide facts...) -- all the great Wing Commander games that never should have been cancelled were done away with *before* the movie came out. Freespace and StarLancer and Tachyon killed them, not the movie.

One fact - the only place where I have ever, ever seen anything remotely positive about the movie is here at the CIC. Now I'm not saying that I let anyone else's opinion dictate whether or not I like something myself, it's just that the corporate powers that be surely take notice when a film is almost universally panned.

I defer to your superior knowledge of the inner workings of the game industry, but if Freespace, StarLancer, and Tachyon killed Wing Commander, then the movie will help it stay buried.

Back