Excalibur gripes

The WC3 Excalibur had somewhat better offensive capabilities (the 2 reaper cannons instead of 2 ion cannons and more powerful missiles) but the SO Excalibur was faster (650 kps vs 500 kps) and had somewhat stronger shields (300 cm equiv vd 250)

Hey, hey! I don't have to pilot it in SO, so I'm not going to complain- you might as well make a "Jalthi Gripes" thread for kat ships you never piloted, and so on.

Hey, you. You in the back. Yeah, I see what you're doing. Don't start something.

As I understand it, the early Excalibur models flown in the WC3-era were far more powerful than the later models seen in WCSO.

The WC3 model is the most powerful of them all I think. It has the most missiles and the Reaper cannons. IIRC the WC4 model has 4(?) less missiles and ion cannons in place of reapers. I'm not sure of the stats on the SO model.

Unfortunately the ships database links all three models to the same page which only has the WC3 stats.

Just Flash, and he's kind of a wuss.

Although he did shoot down the evil computer airplane in Stealth.

(I assume, not having seen Stealth. It would probably be pretty disappointing if the end of the movie was that the evil computer airplane actually was better than a human. Disappointingly awesome!)

One of the things that got me in Stealth was that the EDI had ridiculously long flight endurance--any airplane with the power-to-mass ratio of a fighter could not possibly carry enough fuel to fly so far and so fast for so long.

One of the things that got me in Stealth was that the EDI had ridiculously long flight endurance--any airplane with the power-to-mass ratio of a fighter could not possibly carry enough fuel to fly so far and so fast for so long.

Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it.

(When I first typed that line I capitalized wizard. I'm not sure why. Do I have a secret genetic-memory that forces me to respect wizards?)

Did you neglect to watch the part of the movie where they address that very issue and the EDI is intercepted while refueling at a midair tanker?

Why would the rogue EDI even be allowed to refuel? Or did the tanker crew just not get the message that it had gone rogue?

Why would the rogue EDI even be allowed to refuel? Or did the tanker crew just not get the message that it had gone rogue?

Been a while since I saw the movie, I think the Tanker was AI controlled as well, and the Stealth Aircraft was the first attempt at a combat capable Stealth AI fighter.

The tanker was AI controlled, but the EDI was denied access and so shot off the nozzle, which sprayed fuel all into the surrounding air (which expanded into giant jet fuel clouds) and then the EDI navigated the spraying hose into its fuel receptacle. This is also a very major part of the movie (the EDI sets this giant jet fuel cloud up as a trap just a few minutes later)

I am really beginning to doubt that you have actually watched this movie.

Hehe, that's great, now I have to see this movie.

It's a fun little Top Gun meets Generic AI Schenanigans movie. Most of the complaints I've heard about it are leveled at the Generic AI Schenanigans or that some of the movie's physics don't match what they learned in high school. You know... the standard Internet moron stuff.

Stealth wasn't a *great* movie, but it was good if you came in with moderate expectations.

I'm a big techno-action aviation fan, which this movie delivers in spades.

Hehe, that's great, now I have to see this movie.

Apparently, it's actually being developed this way. Northrop and Grumman has signed a contract to produce some lighter-than-air vehicles that are supposed to be computer controlled and stay aloft for a month at a time at extremely high altitudes. Though they aren't for refueling (yet).

As I understand it, the early Excalibur models flown in the WC3-era were far more powerful than the later models seen in WCSO.

That's because the differences in the engines used for the 2 games. In WC3, ships flew extremely differently than in the Prophecy engine, and with the "physics" in the SO version, it doesn't hold up as well. IMHO, if ships flew the same as in WC3 with Prophecy's graphics, it would make for a much better experience.

I guess my biggest peeve I had with it (Prop & SO) was that you HAD to use afterburner to dodge shots aimed at you. The normal speed hardly did anything for me, anyway.

I was speaking of the Excalibur from an in-universe perspective, not considering the differences in the game engines.

I guess my biggest peeve I had with it (Prop & SO) was that you HAD to use afterburner to dodge shots aimed at you. The normal speed hardly did anything for me, anyway.

And I'll say - it is the way it should have been all the time! Privateer'ish cannons <censored>, and I'd stay for it no matter what.
Projectiles MUST move at lightning speed, or else they'll be no better than rock thrown with your hand.

It's a fun little Top Gun meets Generic AI Schenanigans movie. Most of the complaints I've heard about it are leveled at the Generic AI Schenanigans or that some of the movie's physics don't match what they learned in high school. You know... the standard Internet moron stuff.

Oh you mean like the stuff thats hashed out in this forum on a constant basis? :p

Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it.

(When I first typed that line I capitalized wizard. I'm not sure why. Do I have a secret genetic-memory that forces me to respect wizards?)

It could be Wizard from the CCG that subconsciously got you.

Back