Even more help in WC3 please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipgate

Rear Admiral
I haven't played Wing Commander 3 in a very long time and I really want to. I am trying to run it on my computer with Windows XP. The cinematics go really fast for a second then freeze up. The actual flying is bad too and the sound goes in and out. What kind of things are out there that can make it work properly on my machine. I realize a lot of people have had this question before but I'm only recently getting into the forums and need some help in this matter. And my computer knowledge isn't that vast, so if anyone can help me that would be so cool. I really miss playing WC3. sigh

What specifications do you have? Are you playing the old Wing Commander 3 version or the new version on The Kilrathi Saga?
If the old version, I'm guessing you will need a slow down utility of some sort and will need to lower acceleration in direct X. I'll wait for someone to confirm this and they can explain to you how todo this.

Um, the specifications?

Do you just mean what are my system's specs? Cause I've got 1.2 gig processor with 265 megs of RAM. Some 32 meg video card with a big hard drive. My hard drive is partitioned and I've god Windows 98 on the other one. But the problem with that is that I can't get the CD drive to work in true DOS and in Windows my colors only have 16 because I need the drivers for the video card in that one I guess. I play Privateer on the JEMM unloaded thing. But WC3 doesn't work on either of my systems.

Hmm...

Then either I'd like to buy WC Saga or could someone help me get what I need to properly run the old WC3?

Where is LOAF then?

Please give me something to work with here. I'm having dreams about playing that game.

I'm not sure you are gonna have much luck running old WC3 in XP. I'd focus on getting the correct CD-rom driver (the generic oak-something one should work) and video card driver (should be available from your card manufacturers website) to work with your win98 partition.

C-ya

Assuming you have a 3D accelerator card, did you try disabling the acceleration (you should be able to get to it by going from Control Panel->Display->Settings->Advanced)?

Sounds reasonable...

I'll try to disable my 3d accelerator. I'm just having trouble finding the option. If all else fails I guess, I have put up a bid for WC Saga. Hopefully that will ultimately work. Thanks.

Hmm, that didn't work...

Well in XP I disabled my accelorator and changed it to 256 colors. If I go into command prompt and type wc3 it just says, "The system cannot find the file E\wc3.exe" In win98 it just does that thing where it shows the cinematic for a second or two then freezes up. I hope I"m not bugging anyone with all these problems. I don't want to sound annoying. I'll keep at it though. Thanks.

I've found things to be even worse. My -what was a top spc machine in November 02 - cannot run even the simplest games. I can load WC3 and Homeworld2 but when I run the programme the screen goes blank for a moment, returns to desk top and the programme hasn't run.

The hell of it is my 2 month younger, lower spec laptop runs HW2 fairly happily - ok an few skips and jumps but nothing to fret over.

I've dusted out my old PS One WC3 and WC4 games. In the meantime I'm shopping for a new Spec main pc to run HW2 and a second hand older pc that will run WC3 and 4!

Theres a big difference between the 1994 DOS-based game of WC3 and the 2003 Windows XP world of Homeworld 2.

If you people had your machines properly configured they would work a lot better.
Shipgate, you have a Win98/DOS partition, use it! Stop being lazy and search for the proper drivers to make the CD-ROM Drive and the video card work.

TonyG, if your "top" system can't run HW2, then why don't you fix it or get someone to? it's supposed to run on not-so-top machines, such as mine. I've atually finished the game without problems.

Also, wasn't this supponsed to be in the technical forum? You needn't be a Forum Wizard to see that the CIC has a dedicated tech forum. and you can do searches there, no special knowledge required.

Lastly: just because WCKSaga was updated to run in DirectX, it doesn't mean it will run in WinXP necessarily. They actually do run, but there could be a chance they didn't...

iCe said:
most dos games don't run under xp... i hate that
Why? If you had a computer that could run those games before now, just keep using it. The expectation that a modern operating system like Windows XP should be able to run DOS games is unreasonable.

When I build a new computer, I'm not looking to spend 3000 dollars on the latest hardware and newest operating system so I can run software that's a decade old. I keep my older machines around for that.

Why not? If I spend thousands of dollars on hardware I bloody well expect it to run ALL of my software. But in this case it is really more own stupidity. After all this is a software problem - namely XP. And I still don't get why ANONE would want to use that OS, but everyone his foolishness, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back