About the poll...

It's been mentioned a few times, but I'll confirm it again; the current poll is only there because we thought the results would be interesting.

And it's not that we don't have the old games for download because it would be illegal. It's something we wouldn't do because it would be disloyal to Origin (I'm surprised/disappointed so few people voted for that option, by the way). Furthermore, the 'old DOS games' can all be found quite easily, in a regular store or on eBay. They're old and it can take some effort to get them to run. So they're only useful to real fans, and I'm sure any real fan would gladly pay $10 for the original package.

Further, we probably wouldn't be able to put up the games if EA released them all as freeware -- we don't have that kind of bandwith.

Abandonware is a perfectly normal, legal practice. Like how when you see a car that's more than five years old you're allowed to take it.

Absolutely. Hmm, I'm gonna need a 5 year old parking lot for all my abandonware automobiles before long...

It`s not entirely the same thing, you know, since you make a copy of the game, that is no longer contributing profit to the company who designed it. You don`t waltz into a store and pick up a package that`s at least 5 years old and walk out without paying; and you certainly don`t break into the house of a person who bought it and take his copy without paying him.

There is a slight difference.

After how many years does the copyright on software expire anyway?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

I don't know, but I believe someone said earlier that it's 75 years after the death of the copyright holder (in this case, Origin is the holder, so don't count on it). Of course, the copyright holder can voluntarily give the rights up, but that happens once in a millenium.

Actually, I can name at least 3 titles by the same company that were released as freeware at about the same time. These things happen more frequently than you`d think.

It does happen, but that's never been EA or Origin's style. I think they released Ultima IV as freeware, but even then only WOO was allowed to distribute it.

Back