Worst Fighter?

Dyret said:
The Bearcat. All four guns always seemed to be hitting different targets, and usually not the one you were firing at.
I actually liked the Bearcat. All you have to do is save missiles for light fighters and roll with heavier fighters.

In UE, i prefer the scimitar to the banshee or epee.

and it always depends on your flying style.

Delance said:
The Scimitar was a decent medium fighter, just look at it on WCA, it can deliver in most situations. On WC1, it outgunned 3 out of 5 Kilrathi fighters, and could dance around the Jalthi making the Gratha the only big enemy.

On the other hand, Salthis could dance circles around YOU, plus their guns could hit you while you couldn't hit them.

Ijuin said:
On the other hand, Salthis could dance circles around YOU, plus their guns could hit you while you couldn't hit them.
Actually I had no problem ever hitting ANY ship no matter what I was flying in WC1.

Well, hitting wasn't the problem for me either. Catching a fleeing Salthi (again, especially Bhruak Starkiller) in a Scimitar was the pain. :)

And yes, Vindicator rocks! Three torpedoes standard on a medium fighter - who needs bombers!

Mekt-Hakkikt said:
Well, hitting wasn't the problem for me either. Catching a fleeing Salthi (again, especially Bhruak Starkiller) in a Scimitar was the pain. :)
Yeah, but how satisfying it was when you did catch him :p.

(on that note, I always wondered about Bhurak Starkiller - he's the only ace that you can only meet once on the winning path - all the others show up in Venice, but he doesn't. What was that all about? An oversight, or a way to rub it in when the player didn't catch him flying the Scim?)

Quarto said:
(on that note, I always wondered about Bhurak Starkiller - he's the only ace that you can only meet once on the winning path - all the others show up in Venice, but he doesn't. What was that all about? An oversight, or a way to rub it in when the player didn't catch him flying the Scim?)
It could be an oversight or a blessing depending on your view of it.

Quarto said:
Yeah, but how satisfying it was when you did catch him :p.

Indeed. Those were the days when even a DF couldn't catch a fleeing Salthi if you didn't act (and aim) quickly. :)
Were the missiles' speeds augmented in WC2? I don't think so but I am not sure.

Quarto said:

Certainly he is not dead - IIRC Angel lists him in the dialogue (or rather monologue since it is WC 1 ;) ) about the Kilrathi aces.
Maybe they thought a Salthi was too lousy an enemy at this point of the game. I wouldn't agree though. [And it's obviously not true since we fight against Salthis in Venice.]

Maybe they though putting all the Kilrathi aces in one system was too farfetched. Meh, I guess it was an oversight.

Edfilho said:
I don't like the scim... from my own experience. Too slow to close in and use the MDs.
I don't like the epee and the RapierG.
I don't like the hellcat.
I don't like the Vindy.
Nor the Tigercat.
BTW, there are no "bombers" as we know it today in WC games, they're all TORPEDO bombers. They are used against capital ships, not ground targets. It is a very different thing. And if you think that torpedo runs are hard in WC2, the real thing was a hell lot harder :)

Tigercat?-I heard of Hellcat and Bearcat, is this a typo or for real?
BTW in WC: Academy cartoon, if it is set in the WC1 era, what bombers were they flying?

Mostly the bombers appeared to be an early variant of the Broadsword--in fact, in "The Most Delicate Instrument", Maniac specifically referred to them as Broadswords.

fongsaunder said:
Tigercat?-I heard of Hellcat and Bearcat, is this a typo or for real?
BTW in WC: Academy cartoon, if it is set in the WC1 era, what bombers were they flying?

I think he meant the Tigershark from WCP.

Iceman16 said:
I think he meant the Tigershark from WCP.
Yeah, the tigershark. It is just as middle-of-the-road as the hellcat.
Although i like it better than the other ships i cited.

Actually, I'd say the Tigershark is one of the better non-uber ships available in WCP. Between its rocket pods and charging mass drivers, it can put out firepower similar to a heavy fighter, with sufficiently good aim.

Well, it is more like my least favorite ship in WCP. The reason i like the Devastator better is that it can kill Cap Ships without torps, very usefull in missions where there are more ship components to destroy than Torps on your bomber... Stupid wingmen loved to waste torps on transports with the turrets still working, for example.

It's amazing how he single rear turret of the bug transport can intercept incoming torpedoes so well, if you are on a wing of shrikes and don't have enought torps for the entire convoy, you're in trouble, because your wingmen probably are going to lose their torps this way.

That's why you should go for the turrets in WCP--don't worry about launching your torps until you've suppressed enough turrets for your wingmen to score a hit.

As for the Charging Mass Drivers, I really liked them--a single volley would take a big bite out of the enemy's armor (unless it's that Devil Ray in the mission where Blair is your wingman). The only thing that sucked was their short range.

Good Tigershark

I found the Tigershark to be a very solid and respectable craft in all regards. I believe its the WCP manual that states its the latest incarnation of the Hellcat multi-purpose fighter (and possibly the last multi-purpose craft as Confed is switching to more specialized fightercraft?). With its weapons loadout, both missiles and guns, it packs quite a punch against most targets and carries sufficient missiles/rockets to usually last through a single mission. The charging mass driver is good but I tended to stay away from it all together. For my styel of flying I just hated waiting for it to charge up sufficiently to do worthwhile damage. Put again, all around a solid good fighter to be in.

Back