Wobbling with WCP movies.....

ChrisReid said:
I have no idea what's going on in that video.

He's talking about some plugins to make linux have a Vista Aero-like flashy GUI. He made that video of him toying with it while a WCP video playes in the background.

AD said:
He's talking about some plugins to make linux have a Vista Aero-like flashy GUI. He made that video of him toying with it while a WCP video playes in the background.
ya that was pretty much it................except "Vista Aero-like" ?? mate, vista is almost a decade behind where xgl is right now :p
anyways im gonna test if i can actually get prophecy to play with this new hardware accelerated gui, i heard someone got it working in the normal software gui a while back so lets see if there are any differences.....

Foxtrot said:
ya that was pretty much it................except "Vista Aero-like" ?? mate, vista is almost a decade behind where xgl is right now :p

How predictable. If you're going to be some lunix hippie here, you have to at least stop writing so sloppy.

I don't know too much about XGL, but pretty much all effects stuff that I did see in Vista presentations is certainly already available even in XP. Just look at the finer settings of your graphic card (transparent windows for example).

Aero uses 3d hardware acceleration for it's effects (which are turned off on low end systems) t o allow Dynamic reflections and smooth animations. This is also used for the new version of alt-tab called windows Flip and Windows Flip 3D, Windows Flip 3D creates a view of your open windows in a three-dimensional stack on your desktop. Using the Windows logo+TAB keys, you can flip through the open windows to quickly locate and select the window you want. If a movie is playing it is displayed, still playing, in the 3D stack. Regular flip is like alt tab except instead of icons you see a thumbnail of what is physically happening in that window (like a movie that might be playing).

My point wasn't that vista did anything first. It was merely a reference point for the majority of computer users that aren't familiar with linux builds (and why should they be?) but like Chris are actively following the upcomming vista release for various reasons. Myself even, I toyed with redhat back in the day, but I can't be bothered to use linux today because there's nothing I do that merits it. I really don't have any reason to bother.

ya vista has a lot of new stuff thats a step ahead of XP, especially the fact that the entire gui is hardware accelerated ( direct X 10 ) meaning your graphics card does all the drawing work so your cpu is free to do other stuff although with vista you wont realise the difference as the darn thing hogs all your resources.

Back