Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

So the FMV cockpits are basically the same as space helmet visor, a brown tinted glass with a gold leaf underlay as near as I can tell, so it reflects gold. The current spec maps are only b&W so that limits that until @wcnut beat me to it - yes I intend to use irid as a substitute for the canopy glass reflection. The problem is that it tends to be overpowering and distract from the gameplay, so balance is key.

@Quarto I actually played around with transparent cockpits and they always look like junk - generally because Vision's transparency doesn't account for translucency - and pedro has said that vision open GL won't get ray casting. I've tried a couple of different ideas from adding soft noise to the material (which causes bleeding so you get odd color splotches) to a blur around the framing to give it the illusion of depth (same problem). The spec map also tends to negate the transparent effect because the engine has such strong lighting. Irid might make it more feasible and I will look into it again as time permits, but right now I want to finish getting all the assets done. :)

***Update

Now with 100% more iridescence!

TsharkIrid1.jpg

TsharkIrid2.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
You know, I've never really liked the idea of using the WC1/2 on post WC3 ships. It just always seemed a bit too cartoony to me. But now that I'm seeing it on the Tigershark, I'm actually liking what I'm seeing.

I pulled that color scheme off the WC4 arrow. I just made it more 1960's. But thanks! I appreciate the compliment.

***Update on a 0.41***

Some users have reported that windows defender has been reporting the unlimited SO.exe file as a virus. This is obviously a false positive. @PopsiclePete was kind enough to submit the file to Microsoft who have given it a thumbs up. The next set of virus definition files should include the appropriate fixes for this issue. In the meantime if you happen to run across it Pete has posted the steps to fix it:

Note to Windows Defender Antivirus users: there was a false positive detection of Secretops.exe in previous Microsoft definitions. We reported it and Microsoft promptly fixed its definitions files. To get the last definitions:

1. Open command prompt as administrator and change directory to c:\Program Files\Windows Defender
2. Run “MpCmdRun.exe -removedefinitions -dynamicsignatures”

Alternatively, the latest definition is available for download here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

The new definition files will be automaticly distributed to every Windows PC in the next few days.

Also I've found an issue whereby fullscreen mode doesn't work with DVD movies. For now the work around is to run in windowed mode with the resolution set to match your monitors. I'll be patching the GL to address this issue shortly.

Also I've found an issue whereby fullscreen mode doesn't work with DVD movies. For now the work around is to run in windowed mode with the resolution set to match your monitors. I'll be patching the GL to address this issue shortly.
I've had no issues running the DVD videos with the game full screen (as far as crashing the game). The videos did look like crap though because of the inherent interlacing, but also because it was being stretched to a full widescreen width without compensating in the height. of the videos. Changing which codec was the default MPEG2 decoder fixed this and corrected the aspect ratio of the video though not fully stretching it to the full width of the monitor. There are sound level issues that can also be fixed by adjusting the gain in the settings for AC3Filter which should bring the movies more in line with the volume levels of the rest of the game.

I've had no issues running the DVD videos with the game full screen (as far as crashing the game). The videos did look like crap though because of the inherent interlacing, but also because it was being stretched to a full widescreen width without compensating in the height. of the videos. Changing which codec was the default MPEG2 decoder fixed this and corrected the aspect ratio of the video though not fully stretching it to the full width of the monitor. There are sound level issues that can also be fixed by adjusting the gain in the settings for AC3Filter which should bring the movies more in line with the volume levels of the rest of the game.

It wasn't a crash, it seemed like the movie window was failing to take focus. Since the window is borderless and unmovable though anyone having the same issue as me won't be able to tell the distance from full screen mode. Still I'd like to fix that about windowed mode anyway. If it did take focus it was just a tiny area of the screen.

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could upgrade the resolution of the computer bezel in the game? Below is one I made for the SO manual I made.

Attachments

• WC ICIS Frame.JPG
    WC ICIS Frame.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 142
Been playing with this mod and it works wonderfully! However, in secret ops I was transitioning to a cutscene when I got this error:
---------------------------
Fatal
---------------------------
CapitalShip::loadComponents ships\orcawtrp.iff: can't find hardpoint bridge_01_orcbr01

Is there a way to fix this? Or will there be a patch?

Also my version is GOG

In the meantime - you can copy ships/orca.iff and name the copy orcawtrp.iff which should allow you to continue.

Looks like that worked. Appreciate the help :)

I forgot to tell yall about another bug I found...in prophecy the game would crash at some random point when launching into a mission. I got around this by "verifying" the game on GOG, which put it back to the original graphics. I completed the mission then went to reinstall the revamped graphics. The game worked after that. I had this twice btw

Last edited:
Looks like that worked. Appreciate the help :)

I forgot to tell yall about another bug I found...in prophecy the game would crash at some random point when launching into a mission. I got around this by "verifying" the game on GOG, which put it back to the original graphics. I completed the mission then went to reinstall the revamped graphics. The game worked after that. I had this twice btw

which mission was it? Sometimes the DLL hackery we use causes instability in memory management. If you can let me know what mission it is, I can look into it and see if there's a fix for it. Also - I found the issue in the Orca file, it's been fixed and awaiting packaging. There will be a 4.11 here shortly

which mission was it? Sometimes the DLL hackery we use causes instability in memory management. If you can let me know what mission it is, I can look into it and see if there's a fix for it. Also - I found the issue in the Orca file, it's been fixed and awaiting packaging. There will be a 4.11 here shortly

I can't remember...it was totally random both times it happened

Back