Wing Commander Poster Question

My question is very basic, and I wasn't sure if anyone else had already asked. Where could I possibly find WC posters? I've searched the net a bit and I haven't had much luck, I can only find the poster for the 1999 movie which I don't want. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

I'm not currently aware of any posters available for purchase. An easy solution would be to find and look through fan mod wallpapers. If you find one you like, you could kindly ask for a poster-quality rendering and then go to any old print shop. They'll be able to print out a poster just for you.

Keep checking ebay. THe movie poster is the most common but you will find WC3, 4 and prophecy ones from time to time. WC3 ones were given out as promotional titles for example. But posters for WC1 will be pretty rare.

If you don't have them already, the most common posters might be the WC1 blue prints or the Prophecy map.

If you are very lucky, you might find a carboard edition of WC4 blair and tolwyn like on the back of the WC4 box..

I rather like the WCP movie-style poster they made.. and of course, the Univ Map.. I have both framed.. and possibly another framed one of the movie style poster in a closet, I think..

I also have:
a small WCIV standee type w Col. Blair..
a small Black Lance "Dragon" promo poster/card of some kind..
2 WCP/3DFX "wide screen" (just my descr.) of the Midway and the fighters..
a few copies of the Univ. Map rolled up in a cardboard tube..
the Wing 1 blueprints..
and a picture of some German (from Cobalt40 ?) dude in the WCP flight suit

and possibly whatever is in the WCIII film cannister box version (too lazy to look inside)

and a small "Abuse" standee.. but nobody played that game.. ;-)

-J

a small Black Lance "Dragon" promo poster/card of some kind..

This was a very advertisement for Wing Commander IV PSX - a two page magazine ad that was supposed to look like it was selling a car. When I visited Origin back in 1998 you saw me admiring the one you had on your wall... and then you went and found a whole handful of them for me. I've been giving them to people who come and visit me ever since (I'm down to two or so after all these years). It's a cool piece of artwork!

and a picture of some German (from Cobalt40 ?) dude in the WCP flight suit

Heh heh heh... that's *Smudo*! The Wikipedia says he's a German hip-hop star. He was a big Wing Commander fan at the time and they let him visit the set and be an extra. He used to have a website about his trip, but it seems to be dead now.

Frosty and I found a big fat envelope in Joe's basement labeled "WING COMMANDER PROPHECY - SMUDO & E3 PHOTOGRAPHY" several months ago. I was all excited because I'd heard they built a Midway barracks set at one of the trade shows and figured this must be photos of it.

I opened it to find that what I actually had was roughly 40 each-slightly-different glossy pictures of Smudo and two shots of Rod Nakamoto standing in front of a computer running Ultima Online. I scanned them all anyway, if anyone wants some giant bitmaps of Smudo.

(Also, I played Abuse! It was a fun side-scroller with a level builder.)

Abuse was great. I still have it running, actually; they've created an open-source upgrade of the engine, ala Exus for Ultima 7.

Anywho, I'd love to have a poster of WC1's box art. It's legal to scan it yourself and have a poster-sized version produced for you at a printer, so long as you do not sell it, and keep it only for personal presentation.

In fact, I've been contemplating illustrating my own WC fan-made poster lately. If there's any interest after I post up a graphic, I can make the print-ready sourcefiles available to anyone who wants to run off their own.

In fact, I've been contemplating illustrating my own WC fan-made poster lately. If there's any interest after I post up a graphic, I can make the print-ready sourcefiles available to anyone who wants to run off their own.

I work for a large format print company, but I think the costs of printing anything might be prohibitively high.

I know a 36 x 24 print runs us about $40 to print a single copy of, though if there's enough interest I can probably get a bulk discount.

What kind of stock and what kind of process? The people who do my freelance printing / graphic novel printing quote about half that.

But I was thinking of doing a run of 11 x 17 landscape prints.

It's Large Format printing, so we can print anything that's less then 60 inches in with and 60 feet in length (because that's the longest roll we keep in storage).

Most of what we print goes to an Adhesive Backed Vinyl, but we can do Gloss Paper rolls as well. The ink we use is a UV Based Ink (Water Based) instead of a Solvent Based (which is probably what your people use) which holds up better under the wear and tear of the sun (hence the UV branding).

I only posted because you mentioned a poster sized print, and standard poster size (for movie posters) is 37 by 24, I think. I need to measure one actually because they keep changing the sizes on us. Anyway, printing something at that size isn't something most places are set up to accommodate.

If you don't have them already, the most common posters might be the WC1 blue prints or the Prophecy map.
I just downloaded both of those from the files section on the site, they really are quite awesome.
I only posted because you mentioned a poster sized print, and standard poster size (for movie posters) is 37 by 24, I think. I need to measure one actually because they keep changing the sizes on us. Anyway, printing something at that size isn't something most places are set up to accommodate.
Thats too bad, I would love a full sized poster. Just out of curiosity, how much would a 25 x 18 be priced at? That is, if it could be printed out....

Back