Wing Commander Pioneer

The Hurricane is described at several points in the book -- starting with Richards' arrival in one at McAuliffe. The intent is clearly to mimic the 'rivalries' between utilitarian v. flashy WW2 fighter types - Hurricane and Spitfire, Thunderbolt and Mustang, etc.

The Corsair was the replacement for the Wildcat, and it's mentioned that it's something like five years away from being put into service.

hey guys, spiritplumber here... do you want me to quit WCU? I feel we are duplicating effort here. I always said I didn't want to lead a project, so I would feel more comfortable helping out here.

Lazy Panda said:
I feel kinda stupid, 'cuz I never heard of the Landreich. What are they like?

In short, think Border Worlds and multiply that by 3.

Just read the front page news on Frontier, this looks like pretty cool project. You were asking if crew should get a flat pay rate or a percentage of the last mission. I think it should be a percentage of the mission, giving people an incentive to work for their money, nothing comes for free, especially in the Geminin sector!!!

Lazy Panda said:
I feel kinda stupid, 'cuz I never heard of the Landreich. What are they like?

The Landreich is one of the governments on the border of human-controlled space, featured primarily in the WC novels by or involving William Forstchen. More or less it's a creation of Forstchen (albeit authorized by Origin) to allow him to write non-game stories that look elsewhere than to Blair and his immediate surroundings, focusing on Jason "Bear" Bondarevsky (introduced in WC2:SO1).

Short summary: wild like the "Wild West" wasn't, with a serious case of underdog-itis. :)

I have a serious question that, I'm sure, will have to be addressed at some point or another (though, it could very well be quite some time):

Voiceovers? (And, to a lesser note, yet oddly more important: music and sound effects)

I'm sure that some of each of those three areas will have to be addressed for any playable demo/beta. Do you currently have plans in place to deal with these? Are you going to be tapping the WC community as most other projects have?

I'll go ahead and offer my services as a Kilrathi voiceover, pretentious as that makes me look. I enjoy the work. (And a warm hello to Eder, Quarto, and the rest of the Standoff crew)

I think music and sound effects are paramount to any wing commander game. Voice-overs, not so much. Although it would at a bit of flair.

Really looking forward to this!

Why thank you, Overmortal. We will undoubtably be tapping the community for VO talent. We've also got the Sound/Music fronts pretty much under control. The music is getting a bit of a revision, but it's very close. Luckily, the Privateer Remake and it's ilk have made the sounds really easy. Copy/paste.
I keed, I keed.
We're going to be doing a lot of re-mixing and editing to make the sounds a bit....beefier that most WC games have done. Mainly because we're not working with 1991's soundblaster cards - we can afford to do some cool audio effects.

Howard Day said:
We're going to be doing a lot of re-mixing and editing to make the sounds a bit....beefier that most WC games have done. Mainly because we're not working with 1991's soundblaster cards - we can afford to do some cool audio effects.

I love this!:D

I got a hold of a couple of semi-pro voice actors if you want their contact info (not posting their email here to avoid spambots), let me know. ^-^

Back