Wing Commander Hi-Res.

HCl is working on a hi-res patch for WC1/WC2, but it would still be sprite based and the sprites themselves would not be of higher resolution. There would be two benefits of his patch as far as I understand HCl's work (and after I tried a beta version).

1) The scaling of the sprite would be less ugly. As a ship gets far of the player's view, the sprite is scaled down to make it appear farther. Doubling the resolution would make the tiny scaled sprites more detailed when far away.

2) HCl is working on adding anti-aliasing to the sprites. This would reduce the "stairs effect" of the sprites, but it's not easy considering how huge the pixels that makes a 320x200 image are.

Of course, this is only my understanding of what he's working on. With a little luck, he'll read this thread and explain it himself :) .

As for the images you've seen on the CIC, I don't know. They are probably
a) Screenshots from the new Standoff project models
b) Screenshots from Unknown Enemy models
c) Screenshots LOAF's true original models that were later "sprited"
d) Images of any other fan who makes his own model of old WC ship.

He is talking about the Prophecy Hi res patch and the screenshots in the main page of the news.....

Originally posted by PopsiclePete

...HCl is working on adding anti-aliasing to the sprites. This would reduce the "stairs effect" of the sprites...
Ah yes, the dreaded "jaggies" ::shudders::

Originally posted by PopsiclePete
HCl is working on a hi-res patch for WC1/WC2, but it would still be sprite based and the sprites themselves would not be of higher resolution. There would be two benefits of his patch as far as I understand HCl's work (and after I tried a beta version).

That sounds great. Kudos to HC1's work.

It's as better as WC1 can get! To be any better he would require new spirtes, what would not be very doable. And would not keep the original flavor. :D

I'm not positive, but I think a lot of people get HCl's name wrong. It's not HC1, or HCI, its HCl. Cl, as in the element Chlorine. HCl as in Hydrochloric acid. But I'm not positive about that.

Yep, it's HCL with a lower-case "L", not HC1. People do get it wrong all the time, but I just blame it on chemistry, like I did with the low grades I got in high school :)

--Eder

Wow Chemistry is good and fun.
I´m studying that.
look, HCl is really two guys when he is in water

Like a split personality... one of him is positive... the other negitive. But put them together and damn do we have metal dissolving power!

Mix a lot of Wing Commander fans with a whole variety of foods and you get a lethal gas.

LOL:D

I can't believe we forgot this one!

Mix him with the less known WC fan HNO3 and we get aquaresia! YAY! That means he can dissolve heavy metals too - beyond the power of normal acid.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Mix a lot of Wing Commander fans with a whole variety of foods and you get a lethal gas.

mvc-607f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back