wing 3 and 4 video problems

phoenix_aod

Rear Admiral
Hey all, sorry to sound like a total pleeb but I haven't screwed with dos games in a while and surely not since I plunked in a voodoo3 card.....is it even still possible to install and play these games now???

I haven't tried yet to play wc3/4 DOS-versions with my voodoo3, because I have *older* machines I can use, but the voodoo3 alone shouldn't be much of a problem, it should be able to handle the *demands* of wc3/4 :)
Of course you will need a proper DOS configuration (HIMEM.SYS, mouse/sound/cdrom drivers, perhaps EMM386) to install/play the games... just try it and post any problems/errors you encounter...
BTW (just in case that you don't read the CIC news), LOAF made the old Origin support pages available again at

http://www.blacklance.org/loaf/tech/main.html

I'm not worried about the support of the card but the software...If you try to install the proggies they have terminal brain farts when they try to test the video card and freeze the install process. And I'm just too out of practice to think of a way to bypass the test or such

I'm not sure if the voodoo3 still supports the *old* VESA 1.2 standard, which is perhaps required for wc3/4 to work (I'm not sure because it's years since I install either of them)... did you check the link to the *old* support page which I've posted?

well it might be the cheesy way to do it but I used wc4 -v to force vga and it installed and ran fine then I d/led the Win95 patch and that made the world much better...I haven't tried that with WC3 though

p.s. I did look at the tech help page but I got no love but I might have missed something. Thanks for the assist

Originally posted by phoenix_aod
...the Win95 patch and that made the world much better...I haven't tried that with WC3 though... Thanks for the assist
You're welcome.

Perhaps I got you wrong in one thing: My guess was that you've created a *real* DOS partition and just had some problems with the voodoo3, but from your last post it seems you want to play both directly in win9x (or in a DOS window)...
For WC4 the win9x-patch surely is the easiest and best choice, but unfortunately for wc3 there is no such patch, so if you don't have KS you may be in trouble...

BTW, what other hardware do you use?
Depending on that you may not only have video problems but speed problems as well

The cpu I'm puttering on is appropriately named risen he's a homegrown/died/gron/died/grown. I've played WC3 on this old beastie with the current hardware before the voodoo3 no probs so I'm not too worried there

Originally posted by phoenix_aod
The cpu I'm puttering on is appropriately named risen he's a homegrown/died/gron/died/grown
Sorry, but I don't get you :confused:

Excuse me to perhaps have *ruined* a really good joke...

please list the cpu type and the other hardware components with their *official* names and perhaps I'll have some more advice for you

ok :D
the madman has seen this prob b4 and unforts my good chap, uve done soemthing wrong :D, as has been stated u need to hit the bare basics here, down into dos u must go, the voodoo 3 has an interesting solution to graphics, namely it does as said hate vesa 1.2, however that is an interesting query to make, as wc3 does not need to use it :) for wc4 get yourself the win95patch

wc3 u will need to be in dos, and it should work ok, ill have a wee peek on me spare pc tonight which is a 450 with voodoo3 and ill tell u the result, however im pretty sure that it should work fine :)

As it stands, WC3 and WC4 play fine in Windows. My card (a RIVA TNT2 M64) supports VESA for both games and runs fine. It should be possible, in the least, to run it in VGA mode. I've run WC4 on two different systems, different cards, and SVGA was possible on both.

hey saturnyne, lemme ask u a question, how can a tnt2 be used to prove that a voodoo3 runs 1.2?! IT CANT!

Back