Windows Vista comes with IE 7

No software program is perfectly safe, at least within the resource limitations of 99.9999% of the software companies out there. Opera simply hasn't been hammered on yet to as significant a degree as IE or Firefox, a good bit of which is due to its users being such a low percentage of total browser users. As Willy Sutton is reputed (wrongly, by a reporter looking for a snappy quote to spice up an article) to have said in reply to a question about why he robbed banks, "that's where the money is".

Doesn't IE have around 5 major critical flaws that still aren't fixed for over a year? (And at least Mozilla has a workaround that really ought to be used unless you need IDN - if you don't visit international websites, disabling IDN is a good idea).

As for the differences in the versions - starter is your crippled version of windows, while basic is like XP home. Home Premium has a few other features, like MCE software. Pro will have the XP Pro advanced networking, but no MCE software, while SBE and EE have similar small changes. Ultimate will have MCE and the advanced networking available to Pro/SBE/EE. Of course, only Pro/SBE/EE will have volume keys... Oh yeah, they also add a nice heaping pile of DRM restrictions... (Home Premium... Cut down XP Pro, add in DRM...).

In other words, that computer special maybe cheaper because they went from Home Premium to including Home Basic (and the print will say "Windows Vista Home"...). After all, I'm sure the difference in price will probably account for a large part of the savings.

And none of them make IE or Media Player separate... so the EU ruling doesn't apply.

Opera is sucky, they had several similiar ideas to Firefox, but they implemented it wrong. And it has ads. Firefox is just the browser with the biggest number of advantages.

Windows is outrageously expensive here, it costs several hundred Reais. They released a "starter edition" which limits how many windows and programs you can open to three! that is really crappy.

I won't be migrating to Vista anytime soon, because it will be completely insanelly expensive here, and I'm doing pretty fine with winxp pro. Considering how many security stuff they'll shove in, simple piracy won't be an option. I'm usually an early adopter, but this time I'll take my time.

Worf said:
So which version will everyone be buying?

- Starter?
- Home Basic?
- Home Premium?
- Professional?
- Small Business?
- Enterprise?
- Ultimate?

(7 flavors of Windows Vista. Soon to compete with Baskin Robbins)

I'm buying the "not on my computer, thanks" version.

Seven versions? How can you have seven versions of an *OS*? I assume they're just bundling less unnecessary crap with each version... or maybe disabling/locking features which are coded into *all* seven versions from the start.

It's like the crap they pulled here with the 3-window version of XP. Insert a couple lines of code into the program to make it 1% as useful, and sell it for cheaper than the regular version.

t.c.cgi said:
I'm buying the "not on my computer, thanks" version.

[Maestro]That was so funny. I think I'm going to spit my bones out.[/Maestro]

(or something to that effect :p )

Death said:
[Maestro]That was so funny. I think I'm going to spit my bones out.[/Maestro]

(or something to that effect :p )

Well, I wasn't trying to be funny, but I'm glad you got a laugh out of it. :p

Being nice, I'm simply going to assume you've not played WC Secret Ops, so you wouldn't know the context of the quote (other options include but aren't limited to intentionally ignoring the context or just acting like an idiot).

When Maestro said that, he was being sarcastic. I was, too.

Back