Which Capital Ships can be bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tukaram75

Spaceman
I know you can buy a Drayman for 1.2 mill credits, but was wondering if there's any chance later in the game or in some obscure system that they have a light capship hunter that you can buy, or is the Drayman the only one?

As far as I can tell, the Drayman is the only one. The developers seem to have been extremely reluctant to introduce new classes of ships for purchase. The Demon and Drayman seem to be the only ones.

And by all accounts, these new models will all be gone in a future release.

As far as I understand it, the plan is to fork the project in two:

1) A true Privateer Remake, staying as close to the original as possible.

2) A free adaptation, keeping closely to the wing commander universe (i.e. canon) - not just privateer. So any ship featured in any WC world would potentially be fair game.

fyodor said:
And by all accounts, these new models will all be gone in a future release.

As far as I understand it, the plan is to fork the project in two:

1) A true Privateer Remake, staying as close to the original as possible.

2) A free adaptation, keeping closely to the wing commander universe (i.e. canon) - not just privateer. So any ship featured in any WC world would potentially be fair game.
We tried the "free adaptation" route in our "Privateer: The Reckoning" mod for Freelancer.
With a very few exceptions, most people, who were fans of Privateer, pretty much stuck with the ships from Privateer.
But, having ships from all of the Wing Commander games definately put you in a Wing Commanderish kinda mood.
I preferred the Centurion, but the Arrow, Hellcat, and the Vindicator were fun to fly, too.
(We never did get my favorite, the Bearcat, or the Dragon, or the Excalibur.)

Reven said:
As far as I can tell, the Drayman is the only one. The developers seem to have been extremely reluctant to introduce new classes of ships for purchase. The Demon and Drayman seem to be the only ones.
And our reluctance grew when everyone bought one and no one went with the standard ships. Enjoy for now.

I think people want to buy a Drayman to play carrier :) that's why I decided to streamline that option, which later became the WCU patch.

The only reason I'm flying a demon right now is because I can't afford a centurion. Honestly, the tedium of flying from point A to point B through an asteroid field that can't actually kill you makes a fast ship a necessity. However, I think that the new pair of ships creates a great sense of balance: you've now got the sporty runabout that you wouldn't honestly take against a Kilrathi or Confed raiding force of more than 3 or 4, and you've got the Ultimate Cargo Carrier of Doom for those crazies who love their trading. Win in both situations. As for the rumors of buying Dralthi + cloaks, or light capital ships - what Kilrathi would part with his weapons willingly, and why would confed sell off one of their more powerful ships in the region? (Or allow a Kat corvette to dock unconfiscated, for that matter).

kilolima said:
maybe because the orignal ships suck.

and maybe you're an idiot. statements like this are retarded. if you have to have some suped up ship in order to play and win, you must be a pretty lousy gamer too. 'yay! i have a draymen with super heavy shields, and figthers...i'm unstoppable! OMG, LMFAO this ROXORZ!' yeah...oh well, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back