What is the most effective weapon load out?

GreyViper

Rear Admiral
What’s the best combo of weapons and what configuration would work better? Also are 4 guns & 2 secondary gun system somewhat better over 6 guns?

Well I would say it depends on the ship.
An Arrow with the loadout of a Thud would depled its energie so fast that it maybe just could give one or two shots.
Combinations of weapons also depend on the mission you want to send them in and how fast your weapons reload.
A Banshee with 6 Lasers can lay down a real firework and dou to the fast firing is a real capmissile hunter and exelent against light and medium fighters with thin shields.
The Bearcat with 4 Tachyons can rip every heavy fighter and bomber apart in mostly one or two strafes.
Letting aside the special weapons of the Banshee both ships are good with their main singletyp weapon loadout.

Other thing would be the Rapiers. The Neutron guns use quite much energie and are not very usefull at long ranges.
The combination of Lasers and Neutron guns on the ship made sure that the pilot could defend himself over different ranges, but still don't need to worry to much over the energie usage of the guns...if fired singlemode (not both systems at the same time).

So I would say that their is no best weapon loadout...only some preferences of yourself and some mission specific things.

Well lets asume that Gun Power energy pool is 500. Would 4 strong guns be better then 4 strong 2 medium. My loadout would be either 4 fusion guns & 2 fission mk2=charging massdrivers. Or 2 plasma 2 tachyon & 2 L-tachyon guns.

I guess there are also personal flying style preferences involved. Are you more the guy who likes long salvoes, getting out as many rounds on a target as possible; or do you like sniping from long distances, or do you try to get up close and wait for the right moment to land one big punch?

Question is what ship do you want to arm with that loadout?
And isn't it also a little bit ovevrpowered? Don't have the values right here...but that loadout should do more damage then a Thud...and also drain the energy much quicker.

I guess there are also personal flying style preferences involved. Are you more the guy who likes long salvoes, getting out as many rounds on a target as possible; or do you like sniping from long distances, or do you try to get up close and wait for the right moment to land one big punch?
Depends on game, in early WC games I waited for the right moment to land one big punch. Later WC3-4 mostly spraying and preying. In WCP both, but mostly close and personal.
Question is what ship do you want to arm with that loadout?
Think of this as custom load out, for ships that can afford it. They toned gun pool energy down in WCP, but in early games it shouldn’t be a problem. Btw this is one of these "what if" questions.
And isn't it also a little bit ovevrpowered? Don't have the values right here...but that loadout should do more damage then a Thud...and also drain the energy much quicker.
Overpowered, I think military is striving for just for that, but yeah it’s a game and there are certain limits. And no it's not overpowered, better yes( from my point of view) but not overpowered. Having 2 Plasma Mortars on ship is Overpowered!
As for Thud not sure, sure its better then WCP one, but about WC3-4 one *shrug*.

As for 4 weapon combos for confed ships, here are few that I like.
2Particle & 2Massdrivers.
2Tachyon & 2Massdrivers.
2Reapers & 2 Mesons.
2Tachyon & 2 Particle.
Overall Tachyon, Particle & Massdriver guns are best guns in WC. I'd like to add fusion, but its only in Privateer and never saw much action in WC games.

If your ship moves sluggishly, has poor shields, and turns like a capship with one engine shot out because of your guns.... yeah, it's overpowered. The reasons that fighter loadouts get balanced are probably because a) the fighter can't be TOO expensive to produce, given its mission, b) the capacitors need to be able to support the guns, and c) the guns should support the mission.

In other words, sticking a pair of plasma cannons and tachyon guns on a scout craft, while giving it a powerful loadout, would probably not be a good idea since I doubt it has the armor to make use of guns like that, much less the space or gun-capacitors required. Granted, the speed would make the guns useful... but the other disadvantages outweigh those advantages, and a pair of long-range guns combined with medium-range ones (ions and mass drivers) would probably do better in that situation, though you might also want to keep the guns light to ensure the pilot doesn't try to duke it out in a dogfight with heavy fighters.

Secondary guns are, IMO, overrated - they did cool things (the stormfires especially), but I'd rather just stick with six guns on a heavy fighter or bomber.

Best guns loadout in WC is the Raptor´s.
Best overall weapons loadout in the game is the Wasp´s, hands down.

...IMHO.

Too many different guns in a ship make it different to hit one target if they have different velocities.
if the laser is a lot faster than the md, they won't ever hit together.

Edfilho said:
Too many different guns in a ship make it different to hit one target if they have different velocities.
if the laser is a lot faster than the md, they won't ever hit together.

Ions and Mass Drivers have the same velocity in WCP/SO, so that works. :D Tachyons and particles are more of a problem (5200 versus 3600).

In Priv the best for me where 4 Tachyons+ 2 IMREC launchers
You can change 2 Tachyons for 2 Plasma or 2 fussion/Fission in RF

In Priv I had my Centurion loaded with 4 Plasma guns and the best engine upgrades. sure the refire rate was slow, but I could take out a Demon in about 3 salvos.

I prefer quad tachyons in Priv, personally. A lot of punch and reasonably light on the engines. You can even make them work to good effect with a Taurus (yes, I go for the overpowered Taurus-of-doom strategy, doesn't everybody?).

As for missiles... IR for most games, but HS can be a very nasty surprise in Prophecy and UE.

Tachyons are the kings of Priv. And it's great that in Priv the missiles with the better guidance systems are also the ones with the bigger damage, there's no real trade off, like other WC games.

Priv even shows you how the different guns have different ITTS cursors.

I also carried four tachyon guns in Privateer with a torpedo and missile launcher. I knew more missiles were better at keeping you safe when fighting in an asteroid field, but a well timed torpedo shot was excellent for taking out Talons in the Exploratory Service missions.

In RF I just got fission cannons because I figured I may as well get everything the expansion had to offer.

in Wing commander 1, I used to ram things until one of my guns was destroyed, then I'd cut lose with the single gun left- I always seemed to get more hits and more kills that way, not to mention it sounded freaking hilarious....it's like my rapier is jumped on speed or something!

Moonsword said:
You can even make them work to good effect with a Taurus (yes, I go for the overpowered Taurus-of-doom strategy, doesn't everybody?)./QUOTE]

I'm not sure that Ford would appreciate your "Taurus of Doom" comment, and I don't know of anyone who would call a Taurus "overpowered". ;)

gun loadout, depends on the pilot, fighter and nature of the mission, in wc4 you could give your shield a maximum power boost, and use your stormfire guns.
this allowed the ship to take a bigger beating, which is handy if you were ambushed by a superior number of fighters, you could risk taking a few hits and concentrate on your target.. for a while, because your ammo is limited....
but a strike force of banshees could use this kind of strategy to clear out opposing fighter cover....

as for missiles, i'd go for a mixture of imrecs and torps...

leaving freak fighters like the dragon or morningstar out, i'd say the most versatile would be the sabre from wc2, when placed in its era.

I drive a 2000 Taurus and she is certainly not overpowered nor does she inspire doom in much of anything except insects and small mammals.

Back