What is it about space sims?

Hey all. I miss space sims-- and I know I'm not unique there. Yet there certainly isn't a ground swell of intiative to make new Space Sims... let alone WC. I was wondering-- I guess one could say from an anthropological-getting-sick-and-tired-of-first-person-shooters perspective-- was there any specific catalyst for this change in the ethos of the game-playing public? What do you think?

Fps just grew bigger with the advent of mods and vehicles/geomod terrain. RPG's got a huge boost from the internet. but space flight sims never really got any of those. No one has really made an online space flight sim that was based purely around the online multiplayer action.

Originally posted by Darkmage
Fps just grew bigger with the advent of mods and vehicles/geomod terrain. RPG's got a huge boost from the internet. but space flight sims never really got any of those. No one has really made an online space flight sim that was based purely around the online multiplayer action.

Sure they did - it was called Alliegance, by Microsoft.

No one has really made an online space flight sim that was based purely around the online multiplayer action.

And I hope it stays that way....I don't buy games if they don't have a good single player. Something like Quake 3 is pointless.

Originally posted by TC

Or Jumpgate, which is a better game...

Don't forget the upcoming Earth and Beyond which has been in beta for almost a bloody year. :D

The online-only space-sim arena hasn't been exactly the hottest item out there, but it exists and is under more development.

...'Scuse me?...

Um, whuttabout "Conquest: Frontier Wars", and/or "Jumpgate"?... These are only *two* examples of such games. In fact, I was frustrated over these two because I'd have liked 'em to come in a "single player" version; instead you can ONLY play 'em ONLINE, which I personally have no interest in doing...

...Now, if you *meant* to say that no one's really made such a game that really just "took off" (Read: garnered massive popularity), then that's another story. But as your original statement stands, you are WRONG.

I don't know that the space sim market is still quite ready to be resuscitated. While I-War 2 was a more or less solid game, it didn't really seem to get all that much attention from the gaming public, and it definitely had a sizeable single player component.

Originally posted by Ripper
So why does everyone want massive online multiplayer games?

I've been trying to figure that out myself....personally, I haven't enjoyed a single massively multiplayer game i've ever played, and can barely tolerate something like Counterstrike (which I didn't mind getting, because it's free and all).

Multiplayer games might have replayability, but single player games IMO have a better quality experience. Of course, games with both Single player AND multiplayer are great (not some poor excuse for a single player with bots and crap, that's just the multiplayer played without other people...)

To me, the best multiplayer games out right now are three that have great single player modes too, Command and Conquer Renegade, Medal of Honor Allied Assualt and Soldier of Fortune 2. Soldier of Fortune 2 is *FAR* superior to Counterstrike.

Even more distressing is that most massively multiplayer games are RPG's, and i've still yet to this day seen a single player RPG that impressed me, let alone a multiplayer "fancy chatroom" one.

Originally posted by Ladiesman^

To me, the best multiplayer games out right now are three that have great single player modes too, Command and Conquer Renegade, Medal of Honor Allied Assualt and Soldier of Fortune 2. Soldier of Fortune 2 is *FAR* superior to Counterstrike.

Even more distressing is that most massively multiplayer games are RPG's, and i've still yet to this day seen a single player RPG that impressed me, let alone a multiplayer "fancy chatroom" one.

SOF2 Clipping bugs are terrible.
Single player RPG with great quality?
There are many.. Planescape Torment, is the best, you can try any of the Baldur´s Gate games

Originally posted by Ripper
So why does everyone want massive online multiplayer games?

EV'BODY *doesn't*!... Me, at most I'd want a slightly or perhaps moderately MP game, not "massively"
:D

Originally posted by Preacher

EV'BODY *doesn't*!... Me, at most I'd want a slightly or perhaps moderately MP game, not "massively"
:D

Yeah, multiplayer is really best for LANs, I think. LAN parties win over internet multiplayer anyday.

Back