what if they made a Wing Commander MMORPG?

Privateer online would probably be pretty awesome. If they did that I would want them to add a few more player ships and maybe a way to customize the look of the ship, even if it's something as simple paint jobs, emblems, or racing stripes. Just so each player at least feels like they're not the same person as everyone else, like in FPS where everyone can pick the same skin.

Also, any ideas of when in the WC universe a MMOG would take place?

I would say after prophecy. At least that way it limits how many people will be Kilrathi. Or at least their resources. Then maybe later a Kilrathi War add on.

i agree with being able to possibly paint your own ship. it would help to distinguish people(that is if you would bother memorize paint schemes :p ) but in my opinion it'd be cool also because you could do what pilots do and put markings on the nose of your ships saying how many kills you have. as for time setting i think right after prophecy would be a good idea. now if only the game would be made...

hello all, long time fan new time poster.

Anyway, i have thought this very thing, i personalyl have even started a petition on starwars.com message boards, but they got deleted cause i called some1 somthing i prehaps shouldnt have.

but i think it would be very complicated, if they got over the complications, shit, how fun would it be, u could lead fleets of ships, or pilot 1, become a marine, fight in a tank, ow my mouth is watering at the thoughts.

dextorboot said:
I would say after prophecy. At least that way it limits how many people will be Kilrathi. Or at least their resources. Then maybe later a Kilrathi War add on.
I'm not sure you'd want to limit one side's resources. Game balance would require that everything be fairly equal.

Also, the War is the most compelling and most detailed era in WC. MMOGs aren't really useful for expanding the story, so it'd probably be most sensible to just stick it at some point during the war and move forward from there.

Frosty said:
MMOGs aren't really useful for expanding the story, so it'd probably be most sensible to just stick it at some point during the war and move forward from there.
Agreed. There's always the ten-year long period between WC1 and WC2, which IMHO would be a good place to stick a mostly storyless game in.

True, would be kinda cool to see that era craft in full 3d. But that could also be done by just having them around the border worlds in Prophecy era. There's no need to further the story after Prophecy with this game. Just tone down the story, something like the nephilium(?) have a few craft left somewhere around the border worlds so we can still fight them if need be. That threat keeps confed on alert, so there's plenty of them around. Everyone else is just living out their lives learning to interact with the Kilrathi on a non-lethal level.

Even ignoring issues about whether it's sound to place the game after Secret Ops, we still have to recognize that it's not a particularly compelling era by comparison to the war.

Of far more interest to customers than the monthly cost - which you claim would be a pivot-point for many - is exactly how the game plays, and what you can do in it. It's the same reason SWG was set before The Empire Strikes Back: It's decidedly more interesting than setting it after Return of the Jedi, which would be a fair parallel to what you propose.

Back