WCProphecy in XP SP2 - crashes

JohnPhys

Spaceman
Hey all,

I have tried following the various suggestions I've found here (Win 95/98 compatibility mode, no sound accel, etc.), but my prophecy install keeps crashing after a mission or so during flight with a "DD::screenLock failed 40" error. Can someone please help me with this? This is occurring on a "vanilla" Prophecy Gold install (no patches or highres or fix movie skipping or anything).

Thanks,

--John

Have you tried setting the compatability mode of the installer on the CD as well as Prophecy.exe? Is it possible the install has been corrupted somehow? Is the crash associated with a specific comm message or video file perhaps? Or is it crashing in random places each time?

AD,

Thanks for the reply, this is late because GMail decided it was spam!

No, I did not set the compatibility mode on the installer. Is that recommended? The crash occurs at various points each time, though I have only tried using the simulator so far (figured I'd practice a while before flying again!). It always seems to happen on the second mission that I fly, though that could just be because it takes a while for the bug to show up.

As far as the install being corrupted, I guess, but it was a fresh install (that day), so I'm not sure about it.

Have you tried to manually copy the files from the CD to HDD to make sure that it's not a read error from the CD?
And for some funny reason I could never get SO or Prophecy to run right unless I used compatibility mode on the CD installer/launcher when i tried to install. And then selected compatibility mode for when i went to play as well. My OS is Vista thogh I'm unsure of yours, it's not listed.
My advice is worth about what you payed for it.

It sounds to me a bit like a video card/driver conflict. I would try turning off any extra options possible and trying different video/directx settings.

I'm having the exact same problem. I did a fresh install, making sure everything was set to win98 compatibility, and the game crashes almost predictably in the simulator. I get a variety of messages:
DD::screenLock failed 40
DD::setDisplayMode no such mode 1024x768x16

I've tried in various display modes, using both d3d and glide (I'm using the hi-res patch), and a variety of video card settings.

Any new thoughts on this?

Completely uninstalling my video drivers (NOT copying over them) and installing older ones (from June 2007) fixed my problem. The newer drivers (December 2007) were causing problems with ALL my games.

Back