WCP Hires movies

Stigt

Spaceman
Hi all, I just registered to these forums, I have been a fan of the wing commander series since I bought the first game for my Amiga 500. Despite being slooooooow I couldn't put it down until I saw the end credits. Since then I dived into every new version the day it came out.

I am replaying all the games right now, and I noticed that there are new hires movies for download for Wing Commander:prophecy
I downloaded the movie packs, but I can't figure out how to incorporate these .vob files into the original game.

Can anyone give me some directions?

Thanks in advance,

Arjen

You need to download the WCP enhancement pack and unzip it into your prophecy directory. The patch makes it possible to use the VOB movies with the game. Then, simply put all the VOBs into a "movie" (no s) directory in your prophecy folder and the game should use the new movies.

Download the enhancement pack here : http://download.wcnews.com/files/wcp/wcpep_release.zip

Also, the enhancement pack includes the Highres patch so you should be able to follow the included instructions to enable that.

Hi Guys, thanks for your help. I am enjoying Prophecy with movies in full hires glory now.

However, if I change the resolution to 1280x800 with the patch, the gamescreen gets very small and moves to the upper left corner of the screen, but the cursor uses the whole screen. (see attached image)

I can only play fullscreen in 640x480. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Cheers,

Arjen

Do you have a widescreen monitor? What video mode are you playing in? There are limitations on some resolutions under certain modes.

I'm playing in D3D mode with resolution 1280x800, the native resolution of my laptop.
BTW: The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A100-405, with an Nvidia GeForce Go 7600 running XP Media Center

Hi Guys, thanks for your help. I am enjoying Prophecy with movies in full hires glory now.

However, if I change the resolution to 1280x800 with the patch, the gamescreen gets very small and moves to the upper left corner of the screen, but the cursor uses the whole screen. (see attached image)

I can only play fullscreen in 640x480. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

Cheers,

Arjen

In flight. is the picture displaying normally? I think I wouldn't worry about it if it is. It's possibly HCl wasn't able to optimize the static carrier scenes for widescreen resolutions. I know it works fine for most 4:3 resolutions and I was playing the game at 1280x1024 just fine. You could try some other 4:3 ratio resolutions to see if they work. Or like I said, just live with the carrier screens being small and enjoy the highres video and space combat.

Hmmm...strange, but it looks like this ingame.

The background is normal, but the overlay of the instruments is again huddled in the top left corner..

Any of you techies have an idea?

Arjen

Hmmm...strange, but it looks like this ingame.

The background is normal, but the overlay of the instruments is again huddled in the top left corner..

Any of you techies have an idea?

Arjen

Try reinstalling the patch. Make sure you copy over the appropriate tre files onto your hardrive before running the patch setup (you need to copy all the GF.tre files from each CD and possibly one or two others in the appropriate directories in your prophecy directory). Also if it looks somewhat ok, and you cant get the widescreen resolution to work then I think I would just use a regular 4:3 resolution like 1024x768 or 1280x1024. Also, if you are running vista it probably wouldn't hurt to set the compatability mode on the patch installer.

I don't know about the video problem, but with the In-game flight problem you can fix this by unpacking the TRE file for the intended resolution of game play into the WCP directory.

any news about the OpenGL Patch and it's incompatibility with the VOBs?

I was under the impression that it works as long as you install the enhancement pack first. (and don't apply the highres part)

Tried it today...even managed to remain a 4:3 game on my 16:9 TFT and get fullscreen VOBs...but Videos have wrong aspect ratio...black bars are too big...any ideas?

No Movie after HighRes Patch

Hello ...

After I read about this, I did set up a very new Win98SE system on a 3dfx Computer.
Installed the Wing Commander Prophecy and it runs well after the video-fix due to movie skipping.

No I following exactly the installation description here, created the folder "movie" and extracted all the VOB´s into it.
Extracted the patches and so on.

The game starts normally but no movies at all. When I press ESC the game jumps in the lounge. If I click on HAWK, the pointer freezes, the picture freezes until I press ESC again. When I remove the "Movie" folder the movies coming from the CD´s.

I tried some codec Packs, and then I had horizontal straight lines on the screen, but with the sound of the movie. I heard the complete sound, but no Picture, only the lines.

My Operating Sys is Win98SE, CPU AMD 2800 Athlon "Barton Core", Board MSI KT3 Ultra2, Graphics 3dfx Voodoo 5500 AGP. Memory 1GB.

I suspect it has something to do with the codecs, because I have no experiences in installing them, or where I get them. There is a codec mpeg2dec, but how i have to install it exactly?
Is it even ok on Win98, or shoult I install it on a WinXP system?

Would you like to helm me with the trouble?

Many Thanks, and greetings from Germany :)
-Backfire-

Yeah, it sounds like a codec issue. There's no need to do this in Windows 98. Windows XP will be fine and might be better from a driver standpoint here. You should be able to just run Register.bat within the mpeg2dec pack to install it.

Back