WCKS in WinXP, music/timing issues

MagicAlex

Spaceman
I understand that Kilrathi Saga is supposed to work under Compatibility Mode in WinXP, and although the game is playable I'm still having some music/timing issues. That is, the music stutters at certain points, and some scenes play too fast. Is there anything I can do that'll fix these problems, or is this as good as it gets on a modern processor (AMD Duron 1800)?

If you disabled soundcard hardware acceleration in the past to overcome some issues in Prophecy, make sure you turn it back on to run Kilrathi Saga.

I did disable it for Secret Ops, but the problem had occured before then as well. I tried setting it to Basic and Standard, but there doesn't seem to be any improvement from Full Acceleration.

Which games is it doing it from?
I found the only part the timing was out was in WC1. WC1 ran perfectly where WC2 was very fast.

I haven't tried WC2 yet, so I'm not sure. As for WC1, the gameplay seems to be alright, but then I never played the original game so I can't be certain. The launch sequence definitely plays too fast since I'm already out in space before the music is half over.

I tried out WC2 briefly. The opening dialogue seemed to be synched properly (people weren't talking while someone else's mouth was moving) but once I got to the first menu the music started to go whacky. Once again, I tried using different settings for Sound Acceleration, but none of them produced favorable results.

Also, I tried using DOSBox just for the hell of it, but of course that didn't work. I wonder if it's possible to run Windows 95 on DOSBox and try running the games from there. Not that I have a copy of Win95, but I wonder if it'd work.

You would need to boot to it. You could run Windows 3.1 in DOSBox, but I don't think 95 and later would work. On the other hand, if you're familiar with DOSBox, WC1/2 for DOS are pretty cheap and work quite well in it. That's always an option. Your sound hardware might just have some sort of minor incompatibility with the way Kilrathi Saga works.

WC3 in XP

I have XP, and Kilrathi Saga. My system has a 1.6 GHZ P4 processor and a gig of memory. I have tried running WC3, but immediately after the "origin" opening scene, the game freezes.

So what have you tried so far? Turning back up hardware acceleration and running the game in Windows 95 compatibility mode, both discussed earlier in this thread, often takes care of that problem.

Okay. Just got installed WCKS in WinXP and everything is decent, if not exactly perfect, with one HUGE exception...I don't have any music at all. The sound effects work perfectly with both WC1 and WC2 but there's no music at all, not even a little stutter. The music was the soul of the game, without it, it just isn't the same. Can anyone help?

It came from http://www.the-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and they have a copy of it, sans-WC3. Anyway, all the correct files are there and the game plays perfectly, the music just won't play. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this and if so, if there's a fix.

BTW, just so no one gets mad at me for downloading WC -1 and -2...I want you all to know that I have an original copy of WC -1 and -2 on floppy but WC1 is on 5 1/4" disks (which of course I have no disk drive for and haven't for about 10 years now) and one of my disks (Disk 5 to be exact) for WC2 won't work at all during installation so I haven't been able to re-install it for about 8 or 9 years. Anyway, I've been using DosBox v.63 for Priv and Armada a lot recently and I came across The Under Dogs while looking for the joystick patch file for WC Armada. I honestly about cried when I booted up WC1 and it WORKED! It's been years and years (since '95 actually) since I last played WC1. But like I stated above, the music is part of the atmosphere, the feel of Wing Commander. With it not working, it's just not the same! So if anyone can help, I'd appreciate it a ton!

Luck said:
It came from http://www.the-~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ and they have a copy of it, sans-WC3. Anyway, all the correct files are there and the game plays perfectly, the music just won't play. I was just wondering if anyone knew about this and if so, if there's a fix.

The reason it's not displayed is because posting the link is against forum rules. Anyhow, that's why you get no music. All the correct files are *not* there. The music, among other things, was completely ripped out.

Well that sucks, but I guess you get what you pay for, eh? Now that I know I can play on DosBox I guess I'll just track down a new copy. The last time I tried dosbox it was v.60 and I couldn't get it to work right. v.63 is pretty easy and D-Fend makes it even easier. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Yeah, I played through the DOS WC1-SM2 completely in DOSBox this summer and it was even smoother and more stable than the Kilrathi Saga. I'd highly recommend it.

KCS music files from *** - all there!

Hello everybody,
may I just mention I got my files from this nice ***** place as well and I managed to get the music files working. The server just does not host the .bat file which should unpak them, but two exe-files are installed with KCS that you have to use:

mp3dec.exe and strbuild.exe

All you have to do is to start the file mp3dec under windows command surface: "mp3dec.exe -w *.pak". (just start it once as mp3dec.exe and you will see the options!). This way you can get the *.wav files by decoding the file:

skyfish1.pak and skyfish2.pak

Now you use the program "STRBUILD.EXE <input> <file.str>" with <input> = *.wav file and <file.str> is the name of the wav file with ending ".str".

Finally move the stuff to the folders Streams e.g.:

WCKS\WC1\STREAMS\MISSION.STR or
WCKS\WC2\STREAMS\GAMEFLOW.STR

and voila, full music. Have fun !!

Help!!

Is there any chance you can explain that to someone that dont have a clue about computers??? e.g me!!!:p thanks

Back