WC4DVD from GOG will not play!

Thanks for the file, going through it as I type this.

Do you get a wc4_debug.txt file in the game folder? If so, please post it here. If not let me know, i'll post a new DLL with a few extra debug messages so have an idea if OpenGL is initializing properly.

There is no wc4_debug.txt anywhere in the game folder. as I've said... it doesn't error out, it just freezes.

Try downloading this (posted to another thread) and see if it helps. This version allows switching between OpenGL and Direct Draw for rendering, so if anything happens differently we'll know it's an OpenGL-related issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't work with ddraw or opengl. must be something in the video playback?!? but no matter what codec pack I load it wont work.

I'm 30 seconds away from wiping my HDD and starting from scratch.

SO just for giggles and since it hadn't been done in a long time, I reimaged my machine. Downloaded all available updates, installed WC4 AGAIN and same thing. blackness. I was finally able to get the VOB files in the WC4 folder to play, but I cannot get WC4 to load beyond a black screen.it Pegs out one of my 2 processors, but nothing beyond that ever happens.

Unzip these files into your WC4 folder and try running the game. Once it tries to render the movie, it should generate a file named wc4_graph.log, with information on the render graph and the loaded DirectShow filters. This new file should give us an idea of what is happening when the movie tries to play, please post it here and we'll go from there.

Attachments

• dwrap 1.0.1 test5.zip
    122.9 KB · Views: 140
Unzip these files into your WC4 folder and try running the game. Once it tries to render the movie, it should generate a file named wc4_graph.log, with information on the render graph and the loaded DirectShow filters. This new file should give us an idea of what is happening when the movie tries to play, please post it here and we'll go from there.
here's the log file.

Attachments

• wc4_graph.log.txt
    17.5 KB · Views: 138
Going by the log, DirectShow is hanging while trying to create the DirectSound audio renderer filter. This is very odd and could indicate something wrong with your audio card drivers. I would try updating the drivers and maybe disabling the SPDIF interface in the control panel, just in case.

In any case, we can try configuring DirectShow to use WaveOut instead of DSound, to see if it helps. I'm posting a new DLL that does this, download the attached zip, put it on the WC4 folder and give it a try. It should generate a wc4_graph.log and debug.txt (delete your existing wc4_graph.log file just in case), please post them here afterwards for comparison.

Attachments

• dwrap 1.0.1 test6.zip
    126.7 KB · Views: 227
So, I disabled the audio on my computer... and it had to ALL be disabled I couldn't just disable SPDIF... there is nothing. but the game PLAYS now!. so how do I get it to play with SOUND?!?

Attachments

• wc4_graph.log.txt
    24.4 KB · Views: 135
  • debug.txt
    370 bytes · Views: 147
Update your audio card drivers, if nothing else to rule out driver-related issues. A quick peek at the Gateway site indicates that the most recent drivers are dated 2010, while your the drivers listed on dxdiag were dated 2008, so some driver issues could have been solved in the meantime.

Also, since DirectShow is a DirectX component, be sure to update DirectX to the latest runtime (download and run the DirectX web installer from Microsoft).

OK, so after having updated EVERY driver and trying every sound fix and video fix possible, I decided to try one last ditch effort. I UNINSTALLED the audio completely, and the had windows install the generic windows drivers(dated 2006).

guess what!

IT WORKS.

Thanks for all the effort HCI.

Sorry to bring this thread from of the dead, but for the life of me I can't start the my GOG WC4. I have the latest 2.0.0.17 release. When I run the game, the screen goes black and then I get a crash report after a while. Windows 7 64-bit.

The debug file says only renderer = 0 and this is the insurgent output for a vob file:

Filter 0: Video Renderer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\quartz.dll
Filter CRC: 0157059C
Date: 2015-02-03 | 06:12:29
Filter 1: Default DirectSound Device
Filter 2: Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msmpeg2vdec.dll
Filter CRC: 3D52512A
Date: 2014-06-27 | 04:45:52
Filter 3: AC3Filter
Filename: D:\Games\GOG Games\Wing Commander IV\AC3Filter\ac3filter.ax
Filter CRC: 61D3BD0E
Date: 2003-08-19 | 08:20:04
Filter 4: MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
Filename: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mpg2splt.ax
Filter CRC: 06876B76
Date: 2010-12-23 | 08:50:23
Filter 5: D:\Games\GOG Games\Wing Commander IV\vob\SC_0010B.vob

Thanks.

I just tried the modified dwrap and dxmci DLL's from this thread. Didn't try other stuff as I thought the latest GOG release should have all that already?

Update: Also tried these steps (reinstalled AC3Filter full, mpeg2deci filter, tried the configuration of it):

http://www.gog.com/forum/wing_commander_series/nz17s_wing_commander_4_get_running_guide

Didn't change the initial black screen and crash. The weird thing is that sometimes it crashes instantly, sometimes after 5-10 seconds.

Last edited:
Back