WC3 Lock-ups

U

Unregistered

Greetings. Please except my apologies in advance as I am certain that this has been asked before, however I have spent more than two hours using the "search" function to find solutions, as well as consulting the WCNews FAQ, however I have not found an answer.

Essentially, I run WC3.exe and it locks up every time. I have used VDMSound, DOSBox, as well as numerous other methods, however I cannot resolve this issue. I booted into DOS and installed the game, but I cannot load my sound or joystick drivers though DOS, and thus I must play through Windows. Does anyone have any advice to offer? Again, my apologies.

Specs:
P4 2.4
Radeon 9700
WinXP SP1
SBLive! Value

If you had Win9x, it would be a small matter of desktop-shortcut tweaking, but with XP... Well, see if making a shortcut to WC3.exe set to Win95-compatibility works. If it complains about lack of DOS, kick it and try again.

Thanks, I'll give WinXP a good kick and try the compatibility mode (again). It's too bad that there isn't a Win95 patch as there is for WC4; that fixed all of my problems in The Price of Freedom.

There is a win 95 patch for WC3. the patch is in french and so is the site to get it (the game is still in english). I've had a few problems with lockups when entering certain rooms at certain times and they seem to be isolated to sepeific videos you would have the option of viewing (the same lockups repeat but you can simply avoid them) but the game itself runs fine. You can get the patch at "http://www.topnalias.com/JX/". I used altavista's translator to understand the web page and then cut and pasted the patch instrctions into the translator. Hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Thanks, I'll try that out now. I'm sorry it took so long to reply (long story) :D.

Ok, I downloaded the patch and installed it. I can see the introductory "Origin" movie, however the game then goes to a black screen and refuses to continue. I am currenly experimenting with compatibility settings, etc, but does anyone have any idea as to why this might be the case?

Note: I have already consulted the "TopNalias" forums, but they were of no help.

I don't run it in compatability mode. I had probrems with lockups but soled them when i got the music file form topnalias. He would be the on to ask. Hope some of this was helpful.

No, it was of great help, thanks again. WC3 seems to work in Win2000 or NT4 compatibility mode which I find strange but, as you have said, I still experience lockups. I might extract the music and make them into .wav file myself (if I can). I have modem, so 50 meg would take a LONG time :). The patch is also good because now I can copy all four CDs to the HDD. That way, there are no pauses while the CD-ROM drives spins up.

I'd say it's your video card being to damn good for old games. I'm having the same problems with my 9800 pro. The game used to run fine in XP for me with my old GeForce 2 MX200 so yeah. :cool:

?

sorry

i have the look downs too, i dont see the solution ?!

so i have to do what ?

Go to the site "Unregistered" mentioned above and get the Windows patch.
If you did that and still get lock ups, check the forum. There is an English Thread about it. So far I've read that you have to disable Internet, Antivirus and all other backround proggies to prevent WC3 from crashing.
Btw, this patch are just the different files that are included in the Kilrathi Saga. So I don't know if it is legal to use / link here, so I didn't link it a second time. Anyway I'll try out the fix mentioned in the Forum now for my Kilrathi Saga :D
Hmm just read, it doesn't work for everyone :( I hope it does for my two PCs. Will try it on both of my machines now ( Talking about the switching off apps)

Hmm. Switching off Anti-Virus and Internet didn't help me, nor did a CPU slowdown utility :( - Too bad, thought tis would finally solve one of my 3 current problems.

Back