WC3/4 Joystick

Needaham45

Spaceman
I'm running Windows 98 with a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick. I have WC3 and WC4 installed and running in dos, but the joystick never seems to work correctly. The pointer jumps around the screen, no matter how many times I calibrate the joystick (less in WC4 than WC3), and it makes playing the game almost impossible (especially WC3). This seems to be my only problem, and I have a feeling it's some sort of compatability issue. I'd set the game to just a normal joystick, anything really to get it to be playable again. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Try downloading the new joystick-routines for WC3. They worked for me. Still, I use an Olde Analogue, not a "new and flashy" MS Sidewinder for WC... I don't trust MS-hardware with DOS these days.

Alright... I'll give it a try. Do you know where I can find them, and should it fix just WC3, or WC4 as well?

Also, I don't trust MS-hardware much either with DOS (even tho they did create DOS... what irony), the joystick came free with my computer as some sort of rebate, so I just use it.

A Sidewinder is a digital stick, IIRC... which won't work with DOS games. Get an analog stick -- even one of those cheap two dollar 'sticks at CompUSA (if they still have those!) should work fine.

For DOS stuff I'm using a Thrustmaster FCS Mark I (and various addon)... that should be the 'stick that works best with WC3/4.

Well... the stick itself is working, just not well. I can use to to control the game, it just acts like it's not calabrated right (jumping all over the screen), no matter how many times I calabrate it. So if by "won't work" you mean not at all, then I'm not to sure about that. I really don't know though.

I will look into getting a new joystick.

Back