WC2 WinXP Joystick Problems

SpaceInvader

Spaceman
I have a problem. I actually got WC2 DOS working in WinXP, but my joystick is completely inoperable in DOS. It's analog, so it should work fine. The program won't even recognize it, and neither will WC3 or any other DOS program. Anyone got any ideas?
One more thing: I don't think its possible, but is there any way to get the Sound Blaster 16 PCI running under DOS at any level? I got it working, with sound skipping and other problems, in WC3 DOS.

Originally posted by SpaceInvader
I have a problem. I actually got WC2 DOS working in WinXP, but my joystick is completely inoperable in DOS.
How did you get WC2 to work with XP? There is no MS-DOS in XP. You must be using a boot disk, right?

Which sound card do you have? The fact that your joystick works in DOS and not with Windows is directly related to your sound card configurations in config.sys and autoexec.bat.

No, WC2 works in XP for me. And the joystick works in Windows but not in DOS, not vice versa. I don't have a config.sys or autoexec.bat.

you will not beable to get a game port stick to work on XP as most, if not all, game port sticks have no XP drivers. and there is no USB support for dos. if you want to paly old dos games with 2000 or XP use a dual boot with a win 9x. u'll either need another harddrive, or just repartition ut current hd. the easiest wayto play old computer games would be to buy an old computer, a 486 works great for WC1 & 2.

This is just a generic joystick, though - it's an analog serial kind that doesn't even have Windows drivers. Besides, I bought in in 1996, when it was expected to (and did) work with DOS.

Gameport... If you have DOS and WinXP, I assume you have FAT32, correct? Well, anyway, to get the joystick working in DOS, you must enable the soundcard through autoexec.bat and/or config.sys. If you don't have them, you have a problem.

Bah, as Happy said, throw in a dual-boot with Win9x and you'll be flying in no time.

Actually, I'm using NTFS. That's why I can't do the dual boot. Apparently, WC2 does run fine in a DOS box under XP on my PC. Does anyone have a sample autoexec.bat or config.sys? Would the suggested one for Privateer on this board work for WC2 also?

That makes absolutely no sense. To set up a dual boot, you'd have another primary partition. One that's FAT, in this case.

Partition Magic is said to be able to manage partitions without data loss. Might be a bit risky... if you try it, be sure to use a version of PM for your specific OS. In other words, don't use a W9x version on XP.

Looks like I'll just have to either give up on WC2 until I can either fix my OLD pc or get the Kilrathi Saga. For anyone else who's interested in how I did it, here's what I did:
I went to the memory tab and set everything to auto except expanded mem, which I set to 16384K. I turned off "Uses HMA" for XMS. That's all the memory settings. I'm using XP Pro on a NTFS formatted hard drive, an AMD Athlon 1500+, and 256 megabytes of DDR RAM.

Back