WC2 Speech Pack

M

Mynona

Hi,
I own the German floppy disks of WC2 and the English Deluxe CD Edition. Is it possible to extract the speech files from the CD and copy them to the installation directory of the floppy version so that I still have German subtitles? If it's possible, it would be nice if someone could post a short step by step instruction.
Thank you!

An intriguing question, theres no reason that this SHOULDN'T be possible assuming that theres no software block between the english and german versions.

It might be easier to get a copy of the english audio pack from somewhere and install it onto the floppy instal if thats feasible. If not then you really need to find out a) whether the speech pack patches existing wc2 files or simply sticks more in the game folder and b) what the files it adds are called.

I will have a gander when i get a chance but no guarantees

If someone knows where to find the standalone speech accessory pack, please send a mail to mynona[at]ymail.com
Thanks!
This is simply too expensive: http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0017VCL80

I would look for the WC2 deluxe CD, since it comes with the speech pack on it. You chould be able to find that relatively easily for cheaper than the Speech pack alone, and then you don't have to worry about corrupted floppies either.

@AD: I think, you did not get my problem. I already have the Deluxe CD Edition of WC2.

What exactly is it that you want? Only German subtitles or a complete German game except for the speech?

If so, have a look here:
http://www.karl.frank.name/mods/
First item in the list:
Wing Commander 2
German Conversion Patch For WC2
Just unzip this file to the Wing Commander 2 directory and play (447 kB).
Floppy disk versions must already be installed on the hard drive, although the zip will translate the installation menu text as well. Note that this only alters subtitles (both cinematics and in flight) and not speech.

@cff: I want to integrate the Speech Accessory Pack into my installed German WC2.

Huh?? I can't remember WC2 ever having German subtitles - but then, my brother originally got it, not me, and I don't know where he bought it.

Anyway, I have some trouble with "my" (my brother doesn't want it anymore) speechpak - it seems I accidentially deleted some file on the first floppy, specificially the installation program, which uncompresses the files.
I can just put the files into the games' directory, but it sounds horrible as it obviously is compressed in some way...

So I wonder if someone could supplement me with that missing file
(I hope it's only one - what's left on this first floppy is "Communic.S06", "Communic.S09", "Communic.S11" and "Speech.S01" through "Speech.S04" ) ,
OR if that would have to be considered warez and I'd need to buy a "fresh" copy from ebay/amazon/whatever...:confused:

Huh?? I can't remember WC2 ever having German subtitles - but then, my brother originally got it, not me, and I don't know where he bought it.

There is a quite rare German version of WC2 (base game only) distributed by Mindscape IIRC, years after the initial release. That is what we are talking about.

Back