WC2 Snakeir question

If I'm correct the Snakeir saw action all the way up through the battle of earth. So my question is why don't you end up at least seeing one in wc2, I mean it was a fleet carrier so why were there no strike missions against them in an era where there were so many of them. The only thing you see in wc2 the carries fighters in wc2 are Fralthras or Star Bases.

If I'm correct the Snakeir saw action all the way up through the battle of earth. So my question is why don't you end up at least seeing one in wc2, I mean it was a fleet carrier so why were there no strike missions against them in an era where there were so many of them. The only thing you see in wc2 the carries fighters in wc2 are Fralthras or Star Bases.

I don't think we actually see Snakeirs after Secret Missions 2 - but presumably they're still around... they were a new type of carrier in 2655, and we've never seen any indication of the fan-concept that entire blanket groups of capital ships are scrapped in the *middle* of the desparate war for survival.

WC2, like WC1, doesn't actually allow the player to attack full scale carriers - in both games they're only referred to in dialogue. Also note that the Ralatha destroyer and the Supply Depot station carrier 23 and 55 fighters respectively.

(Ghost is also correct - from a game design perspective you want new ships in new games... otherwise players are faced with buying the same thing again.)

I think the thought at the time about carriers in general was that it should be very, very, very hard for the player to destroy one - and that they should be so rare that you never really even encounter them...

Even when carriers do appear in WC3 we see very few of them (3 or 4 I think on the winning path?) and usually they are at one of the last navpoints of a mission with those first nav points loaded with enemies that are blocking your way to nailing it.

Even when carriers do appear in WC3 we see very few of them (3 or 4 I think on the winning path?) and usually they are at one of the last navpoints of a mission with those first nav points loaded with enemies that are blocking your way to nailing it.

I never got to play SM2... but I did play SWC, which i loved. I was more then satasfied with the Snakiers that I killed there.

Carriers in the game, in the movie they appeared to be more like Battleships.

The Sivar/Snakier we see in the movie are described as types of dreadnoughts that are close to carriers. If you're thinking of the ship that battles the Claw in the big broadside scene, that's a Fralthi cruiser.

The Sivar/Snakier we see in the movie are described as types of dreadnoughts that are close to carriers. If you're thinking of the ship that battles the Claw in the big broadside scene, that's a Fralthi cruiser.

Nah, I'm talking about the one Paladin nails. "Wait the battleship is preparing to launch, she's going to finish off the Tiger Claw"
"Where's Paladin?"
"No visual contact."

I think the thought at the time about carriers in general was that it should be very, very, very hard for the player to destroy one - and that they should be so rare that you never really even encounter them...

I can understand that. I love the idea of epic pitched battles with dozens of fighters around a carrier though, like that Ralatha / Snakeir mission in Standoff.

Nah, I'm talking about the one Paladin nails. "Wait the battleship is preparing to launch, she's going to finish off the Tiger Claw"
"Where's Paladin?"
"No visual contact."

That was a battleship not a carrier. And full-size carriers were really rare. Around 2 1/2 months after Special Operations 2 ends Confed only has 7 fleet carriers operational with 1 down for repairs for a year and the Kilrathi only have around 20 fleet carriers.

That was a battleship not a carrier. And full-size carriers were really rare. Around 2 1/2 months after Special Operations 2 ends Confed only has 7 fleet carriers operational with 1 down for repairs for a year and the Kilrathi only have around 20 fleet carriers.

It should be noted that of those 20 heavy carriers, 10 were kept near Kilrah as part of the Home Fleet. Of the remaining 10 several were nearing the need for full refits (a problem that would become worse after Operation Backlash), so the actually carrier strength they could put on the front was close to what Confed could put up.

Also, along with 7 operational fleet carriers (Austerlitz was laid up for a year from damage she sustained during 2666) they also had 8 Wake Class CVEs.

It should be noted that of those 20 heavy carriers, 10 were kept near Kilrah as part of the Home Fleet. Of the remaining 10 several were nearing the need for full refits (a problem that would become worse after Operation Backlash), so the actually carrier strength they could put on the front was close to what Confed could put up.

There's also a quote somewhere about Kilrathi Fighter designs that went something along the lines of,

'with the exception of the handful of Stealth Fighters, Kilrathi Fighter designs had lagged behind their confederation equivalents'

I'm paraphrasing, if someone with actual working knowledge of the quote has the information, and could attach a reference, that would be nice.

All of this jives nicely with the "rough parity" line from Fleet Action, I think, when they talk 'bout how Confederation and Kilrathi forces are roughly even, even though at the time Kilrathi have some 10 odd carriers and Confederation has somewhat less.

There's also a quote somewhere about Kilrathi Fighter designs that went something along the lines of,

'with the exception of the handful of Stealth Fighters, Kilrathi Fighter designs had lagged behind their confederation equivalents'

I'm paraphrasing, if someone with actual working knowledge of the quote has the information, and could attach a reference, that would be nice.

All of this jives nicely with the "rough parity" line from Fleet Action, I think, when they talk 'bout how Confederation and Kilrathi forces are roughly even, even though at the time Kilrathi have some 10 odd carriers and Confederation has somewhat less.

You have to remember that ER and the beginning of FA occur in 2667 after Backlash and a few other deep raids, the rest of FA takes place during the Armistice. So when comparing around this period you have to take into account the swing that Backlash provided to Confed.

You have to remember that ER and the beginning of FA occur in 2667 after Backlash and a few other deep raids, the rest of FA takes place during the Armistice. So when comparing around this period you have to take into account the swing that Backlash provided to Confed.

Hmmm...yes, that's true. I don't have FA handy, or I'd look up the exact losses they suffered and see if I could figure that in better.

EDIT: Oops. I think I meant End Run. =)

Confed lost 8 fleet carriers in 2666. As we already said before they had 7 active and 1 in dry dock. We don't know how many carriers they had under construction at this time either. Confed lost 1 carrier at Vukar and another damaged.

The Kilrathi lost 5 carriers at Vukar, with 2 heavily damaged along with 6 carriers under construction along with the related shipyard during Operation Backlash.

Also, along with 7 operational fleet carriers (Austerlitz was laid up for a year from damage she sustained during 2666) they also had 8 Wake Class CVEs.

They also presumably had a handful of light carriers that were serving second-line duty (such as the Victory).

They also presumably had a handful of light carriers that were serving second-line duty (such as the Victory).

I never liked the WC3 Kilrathi carrier design... could you imagine being a Dralthi pilot and trying to manage flying out of that crooked flight deck?

I never liked the WC3 Kilrathi carrier design... could you imagine being a Dralthi pilot and trying to manage flying out of that crooked flight deck?

The flight deck itself is straight - it's just angled at the end.

Honestly that was the big disappointment for me in WC III, IV and V is that the kilrathi capital ships are just ugly. After the amazing ships of 1, 2 and armada and privateer.. I was left thinking "what the hell, flying triangles?"

Back