WC Secret Missions

hultsfred

Captain
I've recently managed to get hold of a copy of Wing Commander Secret Missions 1 and 2 for DOS, but I'm having a little difficulty installing either of them.

I run WC through DOSbox with no problems, and the install program seems to be working fine, but I'm hitting a wall when it asks me to insert Wing Commander disc 7 into the D drive, which of course is currently my CD drive, and with no option to change to change to change to another drive.

I think I've got enough expertise to mount a folder which DOSbox will register as the "D Drive", so it seems to me the obvious fix is to mount a "D Drive" folder and then place the data from WC disc 7 there.

This is where I hit the wall though, as I haven't got disc 7, and haven't done for quite some time. Is anybody able to help out with this, or offer any advice?

My intention is to do a WC marathon, and play though WC, both add-ons, then transfer the pilot to WC2 and play through that too. I still need to get a copy of the add-ons for WC2 though, but that's a different project.

In fact, as I look at some of the PC version of WC on floppy available on e-bay, I see they only have 6 discs...

Can anyone clarify this?

Is the Secret Missions working and then you get prompted for a disk? I believe the number can very depending on which type of disk you're talking about, since WC1 comes on several disk formats. Do you know what you have?

I actually just managed to solve the problem by mounting my WCSM folders as my floppy drive. It turns out the data I needed was already in the file, I just needed to tell the install program where it was.

I typed:

mount A C:\DOS\CDrive\WCSM
and
mount A C:\DOS\CDrive\WCSM2

into the autoexec lines while I installed it, then deleted them afterwards. I hope this will help anybody else who ends up with similar problems.

Thanks for the offers of help guys!

Back