WC:CD "Fan Input"

There are two variants used in WCP/SO - one with only anti-fighter missiles, and the other with torpedoes. I don't remember if you have to deal with torpedo-carrying Barraducas in WCP, but you definitely encounter them a few times in SO.

When I saw the earwig on the front page it reminded me of that cloaked transport that confed rigged out as a jammer in WCIV with all the aerial bits.
Its a nice model, Jammer/command and control communication vessel maybe?

Quarto is correct there is one varient that has torps and one that doesn't. I was thinking more on the lines of a jammer ship and that because of the small size of the ship that Confed has a hard time finding them. Could be because of the small size of the ship in general.

Also, Quarto. I think the less capships I actually have to implement into the engine the better. I'm having such a tough time as it is.

And Thanks Oggy! :D

I'm still working on gameflow images, etc... Here's another ship. The "Earwig" . Based on the Starsoldier shape. The size of the ship is a little more than half of the Nephilim transport. It's meant to be some type of specialized fast transport/jammer ship.
That is beautiful, but I can't think of what it would be. It's a support craft, so I would think of jammer, or Landing Craft. It seems much smaller than the Barracuda, though it may be bigger and scaled down to fit the section.

EDIT: I would suggest making it a 'corvette' type and not a capship in the game, though.

Now that I'm looking at the model I made and the sillouette I really do not know what that thing could have looked like . This is really a rough best guess. I can only wonder if those Arena boys actually made a model for this Earwig ship. Or if it was a running gag on the Nephilim being bugs.

Here's a third shot showing a revised front area with some Earwig claw looking tusks of some sort.

Fyi: Please note I took some of the fuselage out too, looked a lil too bulky for a smaller ship.

Attachments

• Wig03.jpg
    Wig03.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 200
I just looked up the star soldier and realized, that the earwig is way smaller than the barracuda. in fact, i think it is not even a corvette type ship. it has somehow the size of a tanker/refueller. what do you guys think?

EDIT: could be a dual use craft. 1.) tanker 2.) jammer

I just looked up the star soldier and realized, that the earwig is way smaller than the barracuda. in fact, i think it is not even a corvette type ship. it has somehow the size of a tanker/refueller. what do you guys think?

EDIT: could be a dual use craft. 1.) tanker 2.) jammer
It really reminds me of the jammer from WC4, only alien, of course.
It COULD be come sort of boarding craft that latches onto (or rams) into a ship, then allows it's occupants to get inside the ship.

@JasonRocZ: Could you show us a top view of the ship? It doesn't have to be a silhouette of the ship, just a aerial view like the one on the Arena page.

As requested. Here's an aerial view but I believe I'm going to switch it up a bit. Now that I'm looking at it. I kinda modeled it "Wrong" (Even though it may look right). I'll show an updated version then I can let you guys pick which one to use :D.

Attachments

• wig04.jpg
    wig04.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 198
This might look wierd. I kinda like it. But since the S*S is looking at a side view. I've since rotated the aft section and also the forward tusks to mimic just that.

Attachments

• wig06.jpg
    wig06.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 198
  • wig05.jpg
    wig05.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 211
Well, it will be right in the beginning of any mission, until you hit nav 1. So let's say I start off in a thunderbolt with 1 rear turret. For some reason after you proceed to Nav 1. It cocks itself to look like it is facing up (Keep in mind they are aligned properly). I'll attach a screenshot shortly. First it realigns itself to the hull of the ship (normally). Also, So did I mention how extremely Happy I am that someone fixed the OpenGL mode for ATI cards? Too bad I'm only using it to play the game at 1024x768 tho. (Need to get an actual ati card and not just an onboard chip set).

Also another question kinda on this note but not really. Has anyone had any trouble with trying to position turrets using the Turret editor 1.02 ? Ever since I had gotten Windows 7. I have not had any luck with being able to load any files. Which in turn does not let me edit locations of turrets, etc.... In order for me to correctly place turrets on cap ships, I definately need a program like it to edit the placement. Even using WCpedit is hard to do the placement of them. :( Any ideas? I've tried making it run in Windows 98 compatibility but to no avail.

Please see attached/uploaded:

Attachments

• shot0000.jpg
    shot0000.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 201
  • shot099.jpg
    shot099.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 194
Now that I'm looking at the model I made and the sillouette I really do not know what that thing could have looked like . This is really a rough best guess. I can only wonder if those Arena boys actually made a model for this Earwig ship. Or if it was a running gag on the Nephilim being bugs.

There was no Earwig model (no Nephilim ships were modeled for Arena).

Well, it will be right in the beginning of any mission, until you hit nav 1. So let's say I start off in a thunderbolt with 1 rear turret. For some reason after you proceed to Nav 1. It cocks itself to look like it is facing up (Keep in mind they are aligned properly).
Hmmm... so it looks fine, and then it stops looking fine? That's really weird... and I think I'm pretty much stumped :(. If it was only one of your models, I would suggest that you got the maths wrong for its alignment - but I assume that Thunderbolt you're showing is just the standard SO Thunderbolt, so...

Interesting, in trying to fix the wierd turret placement. I went back in replaced the thunderbolt with it's original (unedited) mesh and original (unedited) ship file. Still the same problem. Maybe I'll just have to be rid of that specific turret all together. Maybe just make a new updated turret, or just use one of the other modeled turrets similar to what the devastator has.

In the next few days I'm going to investigate a lil bit more about the turret thing. Here's another question.

And it's more about ship viewable distances. In Standoff, The ship viewable distance is practically infinate, in Secret Ops it is not. meaning capships can be viewable up to 50K +/- a few klicks then disappear. How do I prevent them from turning into less poly model preferably?. How did the Standoff team change this variable?

Too anyone with some creative modeling skills that would like to dedicate some time to the project. I'm looking for someone to model a ready room. Similar to any of these images, You will create all the shapes for the room, I'll will do the texturing, unless of coarse you would like to. Let me know email me at Hulse83@Hotmail.com if you are interested, or reply/messsage me here on the CIC.

The ready room should look similar to anyone of these images. I am actually fond of both the relay station ready area and also the "River" ready room (Which was going to be used for another project but it was abandoned). They both have a weathered look feel.

Keep in mind this ready room of sorts is on an older WC3 Destroyer. I will also need another shot of something similar layout wise (Updated) to the rdcp image.

Attachments

• riverom.jpg
    riverom.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 195
  • rdcp.jpg
    rdcp.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 205
  • standoff.jpg
    standoff.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 194
  • relay.jpg
    relay.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 218
Too anyone with some creative modeling skills that would like to dedicate some time to the project. I'm looking for someone to model a ready room. Similar to any of these images, You will create all the shapes for the room, I'll will do the texturing, unless of coarse you would like to. Let me know email me at Hulse83@Hotmail.com if you are interested, or reply/messsage me here on the CIC.

The ready room should look similar to anyone of these images. I am really fond of both the relay station ready area (Small hanger on the Destroyer) and also the "River" ready room (Which was going to be used for another project but it was abandoned). They both look like images of a weathered look.

Keep in mind this ready room of sorts is on an older WC3 Destroyer. I will also need another shot of something similar layout wise (Updated) to the rdcp image.

And it's more about ship viewable distances. In Standoff, The ship viewable distance is practically infinate, in Secret Ops it is not. meaning capships can be viewable up to 50K +/- a few klicks then disappear. How do I prevent them from turning into less poly model preferably?. How did the Standoff team change this variable?
The Standoff team did two things to improve this - one came through a DLL patch, the other... through our own ignorance :D.
Firstly, then - SO limits the viewing distance for ships, with ships beyond a given range (I don't remember exactly, but I think it was somewhere around 60,000 metres) being reduced to a single 2d dot or total invisibility. Standoff's DLL (and UE's before it) allows the user to change this distance - there are two separate sliders, one for ships, the other for asteroids. On today's machines, there is no point whatsoever in keeping that slider below max, so you could probably not even provide an option to change it in your DLL (which I assume you'll want to have).
Secondly - SO has three or four LODs (levels of detail) for every ship. Each of these is basically a separate mesh. The game automatically chooses the next LOD at a set distance - but only if more than one LOD exists. We had no idea how to define multiple LODs back when we started with UE, so we ended up with ships that only have one LOD. So, our capships do not get ugly at a big distance - because really, even back in 2002, this option seemed totally obsolete. If you were to create models with a level of detail appropriate to 2012, LODs would of course be immensely useful - but given SO's limit of about 1000 polys per mesh, and the relative lack of post-processing (even with all of Standoff's additional features, the game is still pretty light on post-processing compared to modern games) there's no point dealing with LODs.

Interesting, So basically it's probably better to just leave everything at high detail. (It's a good idea based on the technology of today anyways).

Here's a good question which I've been tinkering with a little bit. It's in reference to the effects of guns in the SO engine. On Capships, you shoot at the ship when it's shielded and the shield mat shows up, temporarily for maybe what .5 seconds? What can we do to actually have something come up permanantly? For instance, once the shields are down it has a temporary effect of an small explosion on the hull, What can we do if any to make something of that effect look more like hull damage and not a temporary mat. Where do you think would be a good place to start, if any?

Back