VxD problems

KillerWave

Spaceman
Sometime ago i bought the gforce 2 agp video card and i had vxd problems any time i tryed to run a game, at the time i was told to get the via 4in1 drivers, and it corrected the problem...until now...

I had to format my pc, since i was having problems getting a network, and my network drivers where all messed up.
Ok, i now got the network working, internet working...but at first i couldnt even get direct3d to work, its finally working now, but when i try the games, specially WCSO, the same old vxd error is back...
that hated blue screen with "A fatal VxD error occurred..." or something like that.
I tryed the via4in1 drivers i had in my old hd, the latest version i downloaded from the net, the latest version from directx (9.0c)...no luck :( it still crashes my pc.
Sometimes it even force me to restart the pc in safe mode and uninstall the video card drivers, since its the only way to get windows working again, since othewise the crash gives me a windows protection error every time i restart windows and freezes.

Any ideas?

Thanks
KillerWave

Have you tried the latest and greatest NVidia drivers? The nice thing with NVidia is that their latest drivers keep support all the way back to the TNT2...

First thing i did...no luck :(

There is the error:

"a fatal error ocurred 00 in 0028:c023db5b in vxv vd(09)+00001803
the program in use will be terminated"

AARRGHHH!! :mad:

Im so good that i amaze myself sometimes! ;)

I got it fixed, and im going to leave the answer here in case someone finds the same problem.
The problem is with nvidia drivers (you would think that they would check their new drivers before releasing it!). Instead of using the newest up to date (right! :mad: ) driver, i installed an older version of the driver and it works fine now. Didnt see any great improvements with the new drivers anyway.
The problem only seemed to happen with older games, like SO in this case.

The detonator drivers are usually good, it seems that the problem might be on your hardware....

But you're right regarding one thing: even though the drivers support everything from the TNT onward, it doesn't mean that upgrading them will make much difference for elderly cards like the GF2.

as far as i know the 4-in-1 drivers are related to chipsets on mainboards, they have fixes for features of agp busses from intel/sis/via/nvidia(nforce)/ali, each manufacterer has its own 4in1's, without these drivers, but using standard windows drivers you might experience errors.

so looking up the latest drivers for you particular chipset might also fix your problems, and you'll get to use current drivers, which never hurts.. to find out read your mainboard manual, or view the reference sheets from your mainboard manufacturer, or use dr hardware to analyze your computer, or just open up the case and have a closer look.

Edfilho said:
The detonator drivers are usually good, it seems that the problem might be on your hardware....

I dont believe so, since i also got a pentium 4 2.2Ghz, asus motherboard and a geforce 4 card, wich is using the latest nvidia drivers, and it too refuses to run SO.

Also, i found a site where people were discussing about having the exact same problem, but it was with half-life...i dont think 5 or so people experiencing exactly the same problem with diferent pcs would be aplied to a single hardware...actually it is...geforce2 card :p , still they solved the problem the exact same way i did, so it leads me back to nvidia driver...

Why didnt i found this page before i had all this trouble to fix the problem to some time later find a page with the strightfoward answer :rolleyes:

Back