Ultima Online

climber

Spaceman
This is nice and off the topic of the whole WC thing but I only trust the opinions of the people here. I am wanting to get into the whole Ultima online thing but I am not too sure how to go about it. There seems to be so many UO games I don't know which one to buy and whether it makes a difference.

If there is anyone from teh UK who has had a go could you let me know how much it costs for the online play? do you have a pay a subscription or what? I hope not but then again nothing is free in this world.

UO addons are recursive, so buying whichever the most latest version is (Samurai Empire, I believe) includes everything to that point.

It's a subscription service, something like $15 a month to play.

Used to be $10 per month, up until somewhat recently. If you buy a 6 month deal, it's still $10 per month. At least, it was that way a few months ago.

Buy the latest version. That's what I did when I played. You'll still be downloading updates, though. :)

Good luck. If I wasn't planning on joining the Air force this summer, I'd probably start playing again.

that would be cool I reckon. We could wander about and go on adventures together. I once could have said that I was not going to play cos I was going to join the forces but no, I am soon to be a college lecturer.

According to the UO website I am cut out to be a blacksmith. What are you guys?

Mage, according to their Virtue Tester. I've always been a fisherman when I've played in the past.

Test is here: http://www.uo.com/ageofshadows/virtue.html

Edit -- what if we do some serious role playing... as Confed officers? We can put together something that looks like a flight suit and act like we're trapped in Brittania like the Kilrathi fighter that crashed in Ultima 7...

sounds cool. We could get a few people in on it. Let's not be too weird, I am sure that there would be some people who would beat us up for being WC fans but we could get a little club house together and make some dosh and invite some people round and preach the gospel of WC to them. Now that sounds like fun.

What you think?

If we got enough of us together, we could all level up fairly quickly. That would refrain from people beating us up. For all that matter, there's no PvP in most areas, and if there is, it's warned about.

ok, well I will be game at some point but I have to get the thing first and have to get through my exams in may. After that I shall be game for the online action. I shall get the game and get familiar. Let's try and get some more people involved.

Hmm...this could be fun. Anyhow, the test said I would be a warrior, but I'd rather be some kind of tradesman.

I am busy playing 7 at teh mo to get back into the whole feel of the Ultima games. I dont see the problem with the graphics. Part of the thing I love about older games is that the dont look too real, I really like that. Games are meant to be fantastical

I stopped with Ultima Online like four years ago. It began to suck for me when they tried to make everything a happy world and ban exciting things like PvP. It was much more fun fearing other players as they might backstab you at any point.
Now it's more like Everquest, a game which I truly despise.

Didn't they make a PvP shard recently? I never checked it out, though.

I'm a Kilrathi-pervert.

Bandit LOAF said:
Edit -- what if we do some serious role playing... as Confed officers? We can put together something that looks like a flight suit and act like we're trapped in Brittania like the Kilrathi fighter that crashed in Ultima 7...

It would be cool, if it's possible for a selected elite to play the Kilrathi. Speaking of new isometric 2D sprites which are defined by the two major Kilrathi-races Thrak'hra & Kilra’hra, including two genders (no furry-style, more a serious approach of Kilrathi genders, like from real lions and tigers, therefore female Kilrathi are a bit smaller and (in the case of the Kilrathi: ) have only long headmanes, no secondary sex characteristics like that of humans etc.). With many faces, fur colors, manestylings and clothings offered in their character creation plus medieval weapons and armor . Ah yes, the virtues... Instead of virtues the Kilrathi could have their codi, or adapt the virtues. The Kilrathi are not, however, without what humans call virtues. ;)

Wonderful if someone would make it for self on a free shard.

Malar said:
It would be cool, if it's possible for a selected elite to play the Kilrathi. Speaking of new isometric 2D sprites which are defined by the two major Kilrathi-races Thrak'hra & Kilra’hra, including two genders (no furry-style, more a serious approach of Kilrathi genders, like from real lions and tigers, therefore female Kilrathi are a bit smaller and (in the case of the Kilrathi: ) have only long headmanes, no secondary sex characteristics like that of humans etc.).

There's canon support for those secondary sex characteristics, though, at least for females. The Sivar priestess in SM2 is depicted with human-style breasts (3 sets of them, at that, in all their pixelated glory ;) ), as is the drawing of the Kilrathi female in the WCP intro, when showing the chamber in which the prophecy's stone tablets are stored.

(IIRC, WCA(tv) only shows one female, Thrak's sister, and she's shown in full clothing, as I recall, so it's not easy to tell if she also bears secondary sex characteristics.)

Hm, yes as officiall game offsprings of Wing Commander, these stated details (except WCAtv) could be counted as reliable canon sources. But it showed directly through SM2 and Prophecy, that the designers were unsure in their creation. Therefore the female Kilrathi could be freely interpreted again or must either resample one version of the games. Hm, the "Kilrathi" from WCAtv looked like typically mere strong humanoids and had no "jump legs". The simplified heads on the other hand were the only element I liked from these Kilrathi incarnation. The series were nevertheless entertaining, despise the fact of sudden high tonal shriking vocals which drives me to turn the volume of my sound blaster boxes lower. :p

Hey,

Ok, I purchased ultima online now and I am going to activate the account soon. I am playing ascention now. Ok, what shall we do about getting together and stuff. Would you guys who already have accounts have to journey for ages to get to the meeting?

Back