UE Music

U

Unregistered

Just having MORE music in general is a good thing, because i know i was getting bored to death in WCP because the exact same music was being played every mission (the disc 2 tracks were just way too monotonous).

btw what was the final format that was decided on being used for game? (just out of curiosity)

JGRMS

The only trouble with the more music was how long it took to write it all... but other than that, I agree. Prophecy was too much of the same thing, over and over, in my opinion. We do use the same MGI for each mission in the campaign, but I think the fact that it's a complex MGI, and that the pieces used are quite different, it doesn't matter that it's the same songs for each mission. I'm glad you liked it.

In terms of the format - I converted a MIDI (being played using the sound bank of a Korg X5D Music Synthesizer) into an MP3. And the MP3 is what was used to build the MGIs that are used in game.

You know what I think of your Korg. :)

But wouldn't it have been better (and less time consuming!) to convert MIDI -> Wave -> MGI?

I honestly think DirectMusic could do a better render of the MIDIs.

Also, WCP music used complex MGIs too (duh!). But I agree, CD1/2 can be a bit too quiet. Probably trying to build the suspense before the excitement of CD3's music.

I am looking into new methods for rendering in UE2. Once we get the MIDI package I completed uploaded, anyone who wants to can render any one of the MIDIs any way they want and submit it to me for consideration as use for rendering in UE2. If you can't wait for us to get the package up, e-mail me and I'll send a MIDI.

I actually went MIDI -> Wav -> MP3 -> MGI. The program that I use to record the MIDIs can't save as MP3, so I had to save as a wav and convert it in another program. The reason we used MP3s over wavs is quite simple. Waves are much bigger, and I wasn't responsible for actually compiling the MGI. MP3s being smaller made transfer over the internet easier (and by smaller I'm not talking one or 2 megs.. I'm talking 30-40 megs).

Hmm, that's a bit of a bummer. Why couldn't you encode them to MGIs yourself? You could have just let them run overnight. Admittedly, I haven't tried making any MGIs myself, so I don't know the exact process.

BTW, what's stopping you from uploading the MIDIs?

I'm a bit of a computer dummy... so I have no idea how to encode the MGIs. That's about all that's stopping me. Besides... all the music I wrote I liked getting feedback on before we decided to use it, so I would still need to send it out to the group.

Back