Trade profit calculator for Privateer

While we're on the subject, do you suppose I can expect some frowns from-the powers-that-be if I publish an app such as this with very overt references to Wing Commander? It will be free, of course, but you never know...

Most publishers seem to look the other way as long as you are not making money off of the use of their property.

While we're on the subject, do you suppose I can expect some frowns from-the powers-that-be if I publish an app such as this with very overt references to Wing Commander? It will be free, of course, but you never know...
I don't think it would bother them, but additionally, I think in this case they'd be hard-pressed to stop you. You don't violate their copyrights by producing a utility that provides information about game mechanics, nor do you violate their trademarks by referencing them (in the same way that we don't violate trademarks by talking about Wing Commander in here).

Yeah, but that doesn't get you over the irony of the fact that in 2014, our mobile technology is immensely superior to the mobile technology of 2669. And of course, you get so much of this in WC (as in any other sci-fi), with distinctly un-sci-fi-looking keyboards, CRT screens and the like. It's normal, but still somehow mind-boggling - we couldn't, back in 1993, imagine a mobile device with colour display? Well, no, we couldn't, and today we're hardly capable of imagining how our technology will look in ten years time either. I just find that so amazing.

...and if you believe that we'll one day reach technological singularity, the possibilities for how advanced our tech will look in 20 years are mind boggling. A hundred years ago, we were largely using horses and carts to plow fields; now you can watch HD Videos in a device that sits in your back pocket. We've already started outstripping Wing Commander technology in many ways, we were discussing the other day how headsets are becoming largely obsolete - not to mention those CRT monitors seen on the Tiger's Claw in the movie!

Most publishers seem to look the other way as long as you are not making money off of the use of their property.
I don't think it would bother them, but additionally, I think in this case they'd be hard-pressed to stop you. You don't violate their copyrights by producing a utility that provides information about game mechanics, nor do you violate their trademarks by referencing them (in the same way that we don't violate trademarks by talking about Wing Commander in here).

Thanks guys, that's certainly a relief.

You can probably do it in HTML and Javascript, using jQuery based libraries like datatables and jQuery UI. That way it'll work on any mobile device (and computer) and you don't need to worry about weird appstore rules.

Right, I'm ready to share the first version!

Note that it is a macro-enable Excel file, so if you are uncomfortable about macro security, don't feel obligated to run the file. I promise there are no nasties present though.

I've not protected anything, so you can look at my code, pick it apart and make comments to you heart's content. (Note that anyone who knows anything about programming will probably do well not to pay to much attention to my badly-written scribbles for fear of getting a heart attack).

If you can find ways to make it better, by all means do so. Any suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• Privateer Trade Calculator v1.0.zip
    59.2 KB · Views: 46

For all the reputation that EA has for being an evil megacorporation, they've always been really great towards mods, fan projects and things like this. There's plenty of miscellaneous "game guides," countdown timers, and other pocket utilities on the app stores for EA games that EA doesn't seem to have challenged. Some even cost money. I'd recommend going the free route - a couple dollars isn't worth it compared to the knowledge that more people are using your app - but legally, for-profit apps would be just like the "unauthorized" print strategy guides sold in the '90s (as long as it's your original research concerning the game that's packaged up).

IMG_0320.gif IMG_0321.gif

For all the reputation that EA has for being an evil megacorporation, they've always been really great towards mods, fan projects and things like this. There's plenty of miscellaneous "game guides," countdown timers, and other pocket utilities on the app stores for EA games that EA doesn't seem to have challenged. Some even cost money. I'd recommend going the free route - a couple dollars isn't worth it compared to the knowledge that more people are using your app - but legally, for-profit apps would be just like the "unauthorized" print strategy guides sold in the '90s (as long as it's your original research concerning the game that's packaged up).

Thanks for the insight Chris. The app will most certainly be free; I'd consider it a humble contribution to the community from a fan who loves Wing Commander just like everyone else here :)

As a tip, prices fluctuate every time you either land on a world/station or load a saved game. In a pinch, if you need some extra funds you can buy and sell commodities without leaving the world/station you are on and still manage to turn a little profit. Buy when it's low, sell when it's high. If you don't like the prices, reload your save (save again only if you changed something; bought something, sold something). The prices and products will be randomly different based on the scripted randomization algorithm used by the exe.

For example, I bought 45 units of wood at a price of 68 each for a total of 3,060 credits. I saved the data and reloaded again, (the equivalent of waiting a day at the port) and went back to the exchange and noticed that the cost of wood had spiked to 95 credits. Obviously, I don't want to buy more at that rate but if you sell your existing supply in your hold now (45x95) you get back 4,275 credits. A profit of 1,215 and you never even had to leave port! Makes the Troy system grind that much faster.

This IS a minor profit yes, but if a few hundred or thousand credits stand between you and complete repair or topping off your magazines this is the ticket. As a merchant class, I found this procedure quite valuable at times.

This does of course, include the missions available from the mission computer and guilds.

I'm replaying Privateer right now and this is the first time I'm talking to pirates first instead of shooting them. Old habits die hard. Retros however are fair game. At least in Troy everyone has weaker ordnance.

Back