Tractor beam

Target and get next to the item to tractor, and turn so you have a turret facing the object (manual says Broadswords don't have tractors in the side turrets, but side turret tractor beams are in the game) after stopping. Switch to the turret, and hit "g" to switch guns. If you're not sure whether tractor or weapon is selected, turn away from the object and test-fire. If you try to tractor empty space there's no problem, but if you have weapons selected you won't accidentally blow away the item to pick up.

Once you're sure what's selected, turn to face the object, and press the trigger once to tractor the object in. If done right you should hear a "clunk" noise signaling the object being deposited into your hold.

I think you may be confusing the WC2 tractor beam and the Privateer one. You do all the same things to activate it, but I don't think you can destroy anything your trying to pick up (but you can in P1). There is also a cutscene animation that shows you reeling in whatever object you have in the tractor beam when it nears the ship (the clunk is also in P1).

C-ya

A few years back, myself and a friend of mine tried to think up a real "tractor beam". Our idea mostly involved extremely high concentrations of protons on one surface and electrons on another, and using a laser to draw the two together . . . I don't remember our idea being terribly kosher with the laws of physics, though.

overmortal said:
A few years back, myself and a friend of mine tried to think up a real "tractor beam". Our idea mostly involved extremely high concentrations of protons on one surface and electrons on another, and using a laser to draw the two together . . . I don't remember our idea being terribly kosher with the laws of physics, though.

...And this has what to do with Broadswords in WC2?

ChanceKell said:
...And this has what to do with Broadswords in WC2?

Absolutely nothing, of course.

But you must admit - it would've been fun to blast Jazz to pieces, but Angel DID have to get some living proof that you weren't a traitor. :D

I would have loved that!!
But anyway, back on topic, that is the way I remember doing it (switch to turret, switch guns, yellow brackets appear round object, press enter to tractor it in)

Was is possible the tractor beam the enemy fighters? Sort of like a Star Trek move?

I remember in Star Trek games (Klingon Academy etc), one of the ships used to hold the target still with tractor beam while the other ships were hitting it with everything they had. :D

Murray said:
Was is possible the tractor beam the enemy fighters? Sort of like a Star Trek move?

No, as they were usually moving too fast to stay in range, and also their engines would let them break free of the tractor beam. Plus, I've never been one for sitting still (or effectively doing so) while someone shoots missiles up my tailpipe. :D

Your tractor beam isn't strong enough to grab onto something that's moving with much force . . . unless you act NOW to buy this super delux tractor beam upgrade!

Back