Torpedo Capacity

psych said:
I understand that the Standoff guys and the WC Saga guys both have their own version of the Venture-class corvette. And we do know that corvettes exist in WC3-4-ish times because the novels specifically state that corvettes were used as electronic warfare vessels. I will like to see a electronic warfare variant of the Venture-class in some sort of game.

Don't forget that the TCS Brack from WCP's fiction was a corvette as well, leading a small strike force into the Kilrathi system to investigate the 'makes ships disappear' anomaly. They're still about, and apparently considered a force sufficient to take down something that was eating survey ships and fighter patrols like popcorn.

True that, I guess the main point is: "Confed corvettes exist. Get used to it".

psych said:
True that, I guess the main point is: "Confed corvettes exist. Get used to it".

That and 'they're small, cheap ships, but they're armed well enough to give pirates pause'. It may have been the reason the Brack was sent with a small patrol group - she could keep up with the fighters and yet still have enough firepower to back them up against smaller capital ships as the need arose.

Unfortunately for them, the Bugs had brought a Leviathan along.

BlackJack2063 said:
Could those have been torps, just writers error, to me that was the only downside of that book, was Milk Run.
Keep in mind that this was a ship that had been assigned to a very lengthy patrol in an area where small raiders were apparently the only forces the Kilrathi used. That being the case, even if the Ventures of that time period had carried torpedoes, it would make sense that this ship would remove the torpedoes in favour of shitloads of supplies. Also, the other thing to note would be that Milk Run did not present any opportunities to use torpedoes - so it's highly unreasonable to expect the writer to mention torpedoes :).

About the TCS Brack... at the time when the Brack had been sent in, it wasn't clear what had happened in Kilrah. We know that electronic warfare exists in the WC universe, and we've seen it used (very effectively) on several occasions. When things first started going missing in Kilrah, obviously nobody thought "Oh God, we're under attack by a massive fleet of a previously-unknown race!". So, it made a lot of sense to send in a corvette to find out what was going on.

Quarto said:
About the TCS Brack... at the time when the Brack had been sent in, it wasn't clear what had happened in Kilrah. We know that electronic warfare exists in the WC universe, and we've seen it used (very effectively) on several occasions. When things first started going missing in Kilrah, obviously nobody thought "Oh God, we're under attack by a massive fleet of a previously-unknown race!". So, it made a lot of sense to send in a corvette to find out what was going on.

As I said, they're small, cheap ships with enough firepower to take on pirates. Also, they're meant to run along the flanks of a fleet and engage in patrol anyways, being fast and maneuverable, so sending the Brack with a small force of fighters was pretty sensible at the time. If it was a larger enemy, the Brack could send out a warning, at least in theory, and run. If it was just a small band of pirates, they could handle them.

This is from my future upcoming webpage, from "Capital Ship Classification"

"The corvette is the Confederation’s standard ultra-light capital ship. It can be called a slow, heavy bomber or an extremely light frigate, but it's the class that bridges between fighters and true capital ships. When you need the staying power of a line ship but can't spare anything bigger, use a corvette. Corvettes have a decent amount of anti-fighter weaponry and also carry a limited number of torpedoes for anti-ship purposes. A good majority of ConFleet's corvettes are used more for patrolling systems and standing picket over jump points rather then “true” fleet combat; as a result, they oftens find themselves as the bulk of a local garrison force or In-System Security units. However, there are many corvettes seen on the front line, where some of them serve as dedicated electronic warfare vessels in support of a battle fleet."~~

That's 'picket', plus that second sentence reads like it was lifted from Milk Run. :D

Mind you, they're also useful as tripwires, so to speak. They don't -have- to survive, but they can get word out since most capships, IIRC, mount burst-type translight comm packages.

psych said:
. . . standing picking over jump points . . .
Standing picket?

oops Haesslich beat me

Anyway, heres my Venture corvette tech blurb. Very similar to yours, though we both are talking about corvettes. :)

Venture
When a capship presence is required in an area of space and Confederation resources are drawn thin, the Venture corvette is usually given the call. Also used in task forces and recon/quick strike roles, the Corvette is usually resigned to picket duty and other light combat situations. The corvette is also a very dangerous adversary to enemy capships due to their high speed and tendency to carry torpedoes. Particularly vulnerable to fighter attack, Ventures have been known to hold their own with their offensive complement of two laser cannons, various anti-fighter turrets, and FoF and HS missiles. Though looked upon as the lowest duty tier for Confederation officers, corvette crews are a tight bunch. This comradery between the crew is one of the things that make attacking a Venture a delicate operation for even the most heavily armed assailant.

C-ya

even I make typos sometime :eek:

Here while I am at it. You might as well look for any bugs on the Corvette's cousin . . . the scout.

"The scout is another ship class that bridges the gap between fighters and true capital ships. Technically corvettes, scouts have evolved into their own specialized ship-class. Scouts, as the name already implies, are used for long-range reconnaissance and scouting missions. These missions are mostly covert and conducted with minimal naval support or backup. Scouts have virtually no heavy offensive firepower but pack considerable defensive anti-fighter firepower.~They tend to have less armor and more speed to enable a faster getaway when the shit has hit the fan. Scouts are jammed with high resolution radar and other sophisticated tracking systems to gather intelligence on the fleet movements, planetary bases, etc etc.~

The latest ConFleet scout ships are built to pass off as innocent looking civilian free traders, and have been heavily modified to give the smallest sensor signature possible giving some the moniker of "stealth scouts". Even though carrier battle groups almost always have a small complement of scouts, a vast percentage of ConFleet's scoutships are under the independent jurisdiction of Naval Intelligence, Covert Ops, and other spook divisions."~

Back